UVA “hit by pitch”

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 25,000.00
YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPLENED IN THE UVA-DBU GAME IN THE TOP OF THE 8TH.
3-2 Count. UVA batter gets hit by a pitch. Ump sends him to first. Then DBU asks for a review to ask whether he’ leaned into it on purpose. After review, they call the batter OUT and return runner’s to their original bases. #baseball

YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPLENED IN THE UVA-DBU GAME IN THE TOP OF THE 8TH.
3-2 Count. UVA batter gets hit by a pitch. Ump sends him to first. Then DBU asks for a review to ask whether he’ leaned into it on purpose. After review, they call the batter OUT and return runner’s to their original bases. #baseball
Good call. He leaned into it. Would have been ball 4 too so no reason to lean into it.

Good call. He leaned into it. Would have been ball 4 too so no reason to lean into it.
Explain how it was a good call to call him out on review. Explain how that’s within the rules of baseball?
note: Ump had sent him to first bas initially.

Explain how it was a good call to call him out on review. Explain how that’s within the rules of baseball?
I’ve been looking for a replay to see what happened clearly. No dice so far. But, in general, if there is sufficient evidence upon review the call can be changed. That’s allowed now.

It might not be liked, but it’s been normalized to the game.

Here is the rule they followed.

The Rule (NCAA): NCAA changed Rule 8.2.d.1 after the 2018 season to penalize the batter with a strike and not awarding first base if, in the judgment of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch,

I’ve been looking for a replay to see what happened clearly. No dice so far. But, in general, if there is sufficient evidence upon review the call can be changed. That’s allowed now.

It might not be liked, but it’s been normalized to the game.
hello.
3-2 count.
it was NOT called a strike.
it hit batter.
batter was sent by ump to first.
It doesn’t matter if batter leaned a bit or didn’t try to get out of was just plunked... it was NOT initially called a strike.
balls and strikes are not reviewable.
Under what scenario does he not get the base and further get called OUT instead?

Here is the rule they followed.

The Rule (NCAA): NCAA changed Rule 8.2.d.1 after the 2018 season to penalize the batter with a strike and not awarding first base if, in the judgment of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch,
Link pls

And now the question: at college level, is a judgment call like that supposed to be reviewable?

You’ve got v-cash on this game, dont you? :biggrin:
Nah. I just don’t like dumbassery.
And not kidding.. I don’t even know what vcash is.
from context, I assume it’s some intra-site betting currency, but I e never explored it

Nah. I just don’t like dumbassery.
And not kidding.. I don’t even know what vcash is.
from context, I assume it’s some intra-site betting currency, but I e never explored it
Your contextual read is right.

I can understand the gripe with it being a rule, and maybe it wasn’t applied fully to the letter there. I don’t know.

Just thought there had to be something more to a Longhorn fan being so worked up about a call in a UVA-DBU game.

Your contextual read is right.

I can understand the gripe with it being a rule, and maybe it wasn’t applied fully to the letter there. I don’t know.

Just thought there had to be something more to a Longhorn fan being so worked up about a call in a UVA-DBU game.
I heart baseball and loathe illogic. And I’m watching game with my best friend who is a Hoo.