Who needs conferences when you've got a SUPER LEAGUE?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 58,573.00
I read articles that are basically summaries of the Athletic article (since I don't have a subscription) and its a neat plan but I don't see the SEC and B1G going signing up because I think ultimately instead of 70 teams (7 ten team regional conferences) they can own the bulk of the college football revenue and just split it with no more than 40 teams when everything shakes out.

Another thing that will make this super political is the notion that some teams could move up into the 70 and some move down. It's a great idea but it is going to scare the shit out the Vandy's, Rutgers, Maryland, Wake Forest, Indiana and Mississippi State's of the world.

Let it happen. I really don't care. I'll follow Iowa State (wherever they land) and forget about the others. The thing that is stupid is that there will be winners and losers in the Super League, and the Losers will NOT be happy. Basically watch what you ask for, because sometimes you get it! The SEC and the B1G greedy hogs are literally destroying the fabric of the greatest sport in the history of the USA.

I read articles that are basically summaries of the Athletic article (since I don't have a subscription) and its a neat plan but I don't see the SEC and B1G going signing up because I think ultimately instead of 70 teams (7 ten team regional conferences) they can own the bulk of the college football revenue and just split it with no more than 40 teams when everything shakes out.

Another thing that will make this super political is the notion that some teams could move up into the 70 and some move down. It's a great idea but it is going to scare the shit out the Vandy's, Rutgers, Maryland, Wake Forest, Indiana and Mississippi State's of the world.
So is it like a European club soccer league where there is relegation? Or top 70 make it in the league? Ohh and there really is no way the big schools in the P2 would sign up for it let alone the little ones if there’s relegation. Fun concept if so though.

So is it like a European club soccer league where there is relegation? Or top 70 make it in the league? Ohh and there really is no way the big schools in the P2 would sign up for it let alone the little ones if there’s relegation. Fun concept if so though.
The way I read it yes there would be several spots where teams could move and down.

The way I read it yes there would be several spots where teams could move and down.
It’d make things hella interesting but I don’t see it happening.

And many schools exempt from ever being relegated.

And many schools exempt from ever being relegated.
I don’t see many of the schools in the B1G or SEC not viewing this has Pandora’s Box and giving up control.

The carrot today might be your school is exempt but if the model proves successful then there wouldn’t be anything stopping someone from changing that exemption. The only real threat a school would have at that point would be to pull out and that might be suicide.

The other major obstacle is revenue share could also be reallocated eventually. The B1G and SEC are slated to control the lion’s share of revenue from college football in perpetuity from practical purposes. A move like this could threaten it.

A more likely scenario that I see is the B1G and SEC form a super conference alliance and the other schools organize under this model. That wouldn’t be a bad move on their part as it would definitely make things more interesting even to fans of the B1G and SEC. Through combined interest that would be a solid attempt to counter the “super league” and could eventually force a merger (years down the road). But for now I don’t see the P2 signing on.

I don’t see many of the schools in the B1G or SEC not viewing this has Pandora’s Box and giving up control.

The carrot today might be your school is exempt but if the model proves successful then there wouldn’t be anything stopping someone from changing that exemption. The only real threat a school would have at that point would be to pull out and that might be suicide.

The other major obstacle is revenue share could also be reallocated eventually. The B1G and SEC are slated to control the lion’s share of revenue from college football in perpetuity from practical purposes. A move like this could threaten it.

A more likely scenario that I see is the B1G and SEC form a super conference alliance and the other schools organize under this model. That wouldn’t be a bad move on their part as it would definitely make things more interesting even to fans of the B1G and SEC. Through combined interest that would be a solid attempt to counter the “super league” and could eventually force a merger (years down the road). But for now I don’t see the P2 signing on.
Top of the head:

- The moves by the SEC and B1G have concentrated the best teams, meaning more great games. With 10 teams all playing in their division, you take away the more great games aspect.

- The divisions - it really does matter. I don't want to suddenly have the SEC divisions re-written paying little attention to history.

- This will get rid of a ton of rivalry games.

- It's unbalanced. The way it will work will mean that the "SEC" and the B1G will get in 4 or less teams. They won't give that up.

- It includes Private Equity. PE fucks up everything it gets involved in. It's never a long term play ... it's a short term play.

Top of the head:

- The moves by the SEC and B1G have concentrated the best teams, meaning more great games. With 10 teams all playing in their division, you take away the more great games aspect.

- The divisions - it really does matter. I don't want to suddenly have the SEC divisions re-written paying little attention to history.

- This will get rid of a ton of rivalry games.

- It's unbalanced. The way it will work will mean that the "SEC" and the B1G will get in 4 or less teams. They won't give that up.

- It includes Private Equity. PE fucks up everything it gets involved in. It's never a long term play ... it's a short term play.
There is no way this would happen and one of the 10 team leagues isn’t the original SEC members. I just assumed they would be together and we would go back to pre-divisional play format which would be fine with me.

If they are going to split us up then fuck that. I mean screw it anyway but that’s the clincher.

I don’t know how Arkansas and aTm would feel about joining the SWC league and then I guess Missouri is back in the Big 8 plus 2 more.

South Carolina probably gets paired with some ACC teams at that point.

There is part of me that would want to see that happen but it won’t.

There is no way this would happen and one of the 10 team leagues isn’t the original SEC members. I just assumed they would be together and we would go back to pre-divisional play format which would be fine with me.

If they are going to split us up then fuck that. I mean screw it anyway but that’s the clincher.

I don’t know how Arkansas and aTm would feel about joining the SWC league and then I guess Missouri is back in the Big 8 plus 2 more.

South Carolina probably gets paired with some ACC teams at that point.

There is part of me that would want to see that happen but it won’t.
This is an NFL style setup, with 8 divisions of 10, presumably 2 conferences - lets' say the Amazon and Apple Conferences.

Do we really care about a NE Division of the Amazon Conference that has Syracuse, Pitt, PSU, Rutgers, BC, etc.? And why would the winner of that division be given the same level of access to a playoff as the winner of the SE Division of the Apple Conference that has UGA, UF, Clemson, Tenn, Auburn, Alabama, etc.?

It's a dumb idea, and the introduction of Private Equity is all you need to know to know how dumb an idea it is.

This is an NFL style setup, with 8 divisions of 10, presumably 2 conferences - lets' say the Amazon and Apple Conferences.

Do we really care about a NE Division of the Amazon Conference that has Syracuse, Pitt, PSU, Rutgers, BC, etc.? And why would the winner of that division be given the same level of access to a playoff as the winner of the SE Division of the Apple Conference that has UGA, UF, Clemson, Tenn, Auburn, Alabama, etc.?

It's a dumb idea, and the introduction of Private Equity is all you need to know to know how dumb an idea it is.
I agree it’s a dumb idea for the P2 but kind of fun if you threw everyone else into a league style play. Take 60 teams put them in six 10 team conferences and create a playoff with wildcards that could be fun and a way to keep CFB teams not in the P2 relevant.

For those that cant read the whole thing

ACC- FSU, NC State, NC, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, GT, South Carolina, Virginia, Wake
Big East- Louisville, ND, WVU, Miami, VT, BC, Rutgers, Syr, Pitt, Cinci
Big Ten- Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State, Inidian
FFD(frequent flyer division) Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas, Utah, Iowa State, Northwestern, UCF, Nebraska, BYU, Colorado
Pac 10- Arizona, Arizona Sate, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Wash, WSU
SEC- UGA, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Tenn, Kentucky, Auburn, Florida, Miss state, Vandy
SWC- TX, SMU, Oklahoma, OK State, TAM, TT, TCU, Houston, Arkansas, Baylor
Promotion/Relegation- Tulane, Toledo, Troy, Ohio, UTSA, Fresno State, Boise, Coastal Carolina, Navy, North Texas

It's basically going back in time to 1994.
Right? They just complete consolidation, and now they want to break it all back down again. I am sure the consolidated conferences won't have any problem with the is at all.

Right? They just complete consolidation, and now they want to break it all back down again. I am sure the consolidated conferences won't have any problem with the is at all.
Just mimicking today's "real world"... Just look at Ma Bell being broken up decades ago and here we are... back together again, for the most part and they want to break 'em up again! :facepalm:

Everything is going to shit and sports has been heading that way for quite awhile now. :rolleyes2:

Hey you hairy dawg counselor, I need clarification.

Since the schools ARE the NCAA, when the NCAA loses these lawsuits said schools will have to fork over all the money to settle these law suits, right? And not just the likes of Wisconsin and Baylor will have to pay. The likes of Wisconsin-Whitewater and Mary Hardin Baylor (and all DII and DIII schools) and will have to fork some over as well. Correct?

Hey you hairy dawg counselor, I need clarification.

Since the schools ARE the NCAA, when the NCAA loses these lawsuits said schools will have to fork over all the money to settle these law suits, right? And not just the likes of Wisconsin and Baylor will have to pay. The likes of Wisconsin-Whitewater and Mary Hardin Baylor (and all DII and DIII schools) and will have to fork some over as well. Correct?
Haven't dug too far into it, but yeah, it will be all the NCAA schools ... all in there are about 1200 schools under the NCAA banner. So, you are correct.

The problem is that being an anti-trust case, the damages are trebled (that's tripled for the kids in the back of the class). But, it's not an easy case. The law did support he NCAA's position on amateurism for a long time. They will be able to point at the precedent and argue they were following the law. And the damages are going to be exceptionally difficult to calculate. Do they use NIL as it is meant to be, or NIL as it has turned out? NIL for football players or for bowlers? At the end of the day, they will settle for half a billion or something like that, and then move on.

The really bad thing about this is that no student athletes will get any substantial money. Class actions are notorious for making money for the lawyers and the class getting like $2 each.