Advice Needed on Buying a Car

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 855.00
My siblings and I are going to surprise our parents with a new car. We've done some preliminary checks and it seems that the used market is outrageous right now.
A 2017 Nissan Sentra with 122k miles is 15 grand? :wtf:

My brother just took delivery of a new Tesla and he's pushing hard to get them an EV; his wife uses the car for commuting 40 mins one way to work each day and they both use it on the weekends and they spent $38 charging it in the last 30 days.

I think a hybrid is more realistic, but regardless...

How the hell do you buy a car in 2022 to get the best value?

It depends. Does the car have an American chip in it and can I pull the robbery in California, preferably Oakland?
How do you feel about an Italian American CHiP played by a Mexican American?

It's definitely a seller's market right now. This might not be the year to get them a new car.

Worst time in the history of history to buy a used car.

Most recent cars are aluminum body btw. Which means they suck in collisions

Waiting on the market to turn to get the wife an Escalade. Buddie in the industry says 2 more years of this crap. But he’s FOS like the rest of the car industry

My siblings and I are going to surprise our parents with a new car. We've done some preliminary checks and it seems that the used market is outrageous right now.

My brother just took delivery of a new Tesla and he's pushing hard to get them an EV; his wife uses the car for commuting 40 mins one way to work each day and they both use it on the weekends and they spent $38 charging it in the last 30 days.

If you can wait until next year you might be better off. Everything's highway robbery right now. At least another year of misery

There are no fucking cars on lots right now.

Checked a dealer that claimed to have 4 on the lot, in stock online. Called ahead to confirm.

Drove an hour to the dealership.

“Yea, we’ve had a problem with the website for a while now.”

Yea, but I called.

“We’ve got a bunch of used cars though.”

You mean I can pay 2k less for a 3 year old version of the same brand new car with 50k miles on it?

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

I say don't focus on cost, brand, miles, or anything else like that. Focus on a smooth suspension and plenty of room. Your parents are old, and it's time they get a pampered ride.

reporting college board GIF

Fortunately found my daughter a 2011 Chevy Equinox w/132K miles for $6K. That was about the best car I could find.

My daughter called today and her car needs about $2K in repairs. At the price and availability of replacing it, I just bit the bullet and had it done. Sucks though.

The smoothest, most luxurious car I ever drove was my mothers 1976 Olds Toronado Brougham with a 455.

Like riding on air.

1666368559146.png

I don't think you do; at least the way it used to be.

Best value probably has to come from getting what you wanted and didn't have to compromise, regardless of price.

If you have a Trade, then I could see how they might concede a little bit because of the double deal.

Until dealers get their lots loaded up again, it isn't going to change much.
But it looks like that's going to change.

Ford doesn't even like it's Dealer Model; the CEO wants to go to an 'Order and Delivery' facility with service built in, with no haggle/one price cars; which probably means no trade in's. Not even sure I can wrap my head around that.

Flexibility is probably key.

If you're buying new, we just placed an order for the car we wanted and made very sure that the dealer wouldn't throw a markup on it at the end. I think that's the best way of not getting screwed right now. The used market is hilarious. I can still sell my 2 year old SUV for about $4,000 more than I bought it for in 2020; which is hilarious and I've considered upgrading just because of that. Alas, we successfully got my wife's Bolt EUV in two months from the time we ordered it. No dealer markups, just straight up MSRP. We sold my wife's piece of crap Chevy Trax that we bought new in 2015, with 163,000 miles on it for $4500. I was shocked, I wouldn't have paid $500 for it. Needed new brakes, new tires, new shocks, heater smelled like plastic when on. We pumped like $8k in repairs into that thing over it's lifespan and still basically got 1/5 of the original purchase price for it.

I just think that used market is so high because the only way to get new is to either buy the (likely high-end expensive) cars on the lot - or - order the one you want and wait an undetermined amount of time.

I have to say I've been loving the electric. Super fun to drive, been really convenient to charge so far. Would need to get an extended range version (like a Tesla) to feel good about taking it on longer trips. Hybrids are cool, but I feel like you're just asking for problems with that many systems in a car and you're paying like $5-$10k more for it. The Ford Maverick is a really interesting option at a reasonable price.

For a new EV or Hybrid put the order in now, pay 5k over sticker and you might get it delivered in 7 months but that’s not guaranteed.

For a used one you pay whatever anyone is asking or someone else will.

My MIL totaled her car 4 months ago and they shopped for 2 months before calling it quits. They decided it was that hard to share and they weren’t willing to pay what cars were going for and they had a budget of 50K.

For a new EV or Hybrid put the order in now, pay 5k over sticker and you might get it delivered in 7 months but that’s not guaranteed.

For a used one you pay whatever anyone is asking or someone else will.

My MIL totaled her car 4 months ago and they shopped for 2 months before calling it quits. They decided it was that hard to share and they weren’t willing to pay what cars were going for and they had a budget of 50K.
We've pretty much decided that we're going to just invest in what they have. They have a Mini Cooper S they love but it seems to have hit that stage where it's one thing after another. So we're going to get it all tightened up and repainted for them.