Altruism - Does it exist?

Love. That's probably the most hippie thing you will ever see me post, but love.
But don't you love someone with the hope that they'll love you back?

Does it make you feel good to do those deeds for someone?
Yes. It makes me feel good to do things for other people - without the expectation - of any extrinsic reward.

But don't you love someone with the hope that they'll love you back?

I think he may be right. Love seems to be uncontrollable by outside or inside factors. Same may be said for hate.

Following that line, maybe only emotions are not based on self-interest. If altruism could be defined as an emotion, perhaps it could exist.

That's to keep your own property values up

so you won't bust yer ass on her slick sidewalk

so you can been seen as a big shot in your hood
Only a cynic, who does nothing without compensation from others, would think that way.

Last edited:
Only a cynic, who does nothing without compensation from others, would thing that way.
The OP brings up the point that the compensation comes from self. It feels good to do things for other people. Ask yourself, would you do those things if it didn't make you feel good?

Love is the ultimate altruistic act, because when you truly love someone, it doesn't matter if they return the favor

Only a cynic, who does nothing without compensation from others, would thing that way.
I don't deny being a cynic, but i don't believe that precludes ever doing anything for others without some form of compensation

Yes. It makes me feel good to do things for other people - without the expectation - of any extrinsic reward.
I think that's where you go back to Hu's point of needing to define it. If you don't think intrinsic rewards count, then true altruism is definitely more plausible.

I admit... it's a tough one for me and one I've always questioned.

The OP brings up the point that the compensation comes from self. It feels good to do things for other people. Ask yourself, would you do those things if it didn't make you feel good?
I don't think the idea of altruism rules out feelings of satisfaction for doing things for others.

I think that's where you go back to Hu's point of needing to define it. If you don't think intrinsic rewards count, then true altruism is definitely more plausible.

I admit... it's a tough one for me and one I've always questioned.
So would you snuggle someone you didn't actually find attractive?

Very personal.

But lets just say my grandma was not herself in old age.
I wonder if that's more defined as unconditional love than altruism. If you are actively loving her and not just having the feelings of love, that sounds like you're doing SOMEthing to make her life better, which gives you the good feels.

'tis quite a puzzler for me. A lot of times I will do "good deeds" and question myself as to WHY I am doing that. What do I want (now or in the future) in return? Or is it just because I want to feel good about myself for doing something nice... a tick in the "getting into heaven" column, if one believed in that sort of thing?

Love is the ultimate altruistic act, because when you truly love someone, it doesn't matter if they return the favor
Romantic love is driven by hormones.

Loving acts towards others are usually altruistic.