Altruism - Does it exist?

I was thinking about commenting on this thread, but there's nothing in it for me so fuck it.

I say no. People act for their own benefit. Whether serving your country or helping our your fellow man, you do it because it makes you feel good.

I heard you get it from vaccines.

Seems like a lot of projecting in this thread. 😉

I donated to the other tHoop for 4 years without the expectation that I should get any special treatment. I've also sent money to some of the people on tHoops charity's and Go Fund Me's without any expectation. Maybe I'm a sucker, maybe I'm an altruist, maybe a bit of both.

So to answer the question being posed -- yes, I think there's altruism. But no, not every kind deed is altruistic; many of those kind deeds come with a reciprocal expectation.

And no, I'm far from a saint. I do give people things with the expectation that they will give me back something of equal value.

Seems like a lot of projecting in this thread. 😉

I donated to the other tHoop for 4 years without the expectation that I should get any special treatment. I've also sent money to some of the people on tHoops charity's and Go Fund Me's without any expectation. Maybe I'm a sucker, maybe I'm an altruist, maybe a bit of both.

So to answer the question being posed -- yes, I think there's altruism. But no, not every kind deed is altruistic; many of those kind deeds come with a reciprocal expectation.

And no, I'm far from a saint. I do give people things with the expectation that they will give me back something of equal value.
Did that giving make you feel good?

Yes, but not in the classic western notion of it. Especially after socialization.