Anybody know how to lay a bit of carpet?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,354.00
My boat project is nearing completion and the interior is fixed-up pretty good. The last thing to do is always the carpet because it gets so trashed while doing everything else.

Well, I can't get a carpet layer from Lowe's or somewhere like that because they refuse to do a boat. I don't know why though, it's just a plywood floor with those tack strips things around the edge...just like in a house. But they won't do it. And companies that do yacht carpet are a fucking ripoff. I only need like $700 worth of nice berber. The marine carpet place wants like $5k - fuck that.

I can pull up the old stuff as an easy template and cut it in the garage. But how do you tuck that so it looks better than shit?

20210413_165632.jpg

20210615_173423.jpg

Hire a professional, you cheap fucking bastard.
No way...defeats the entire purpose of doing the renovation. I'd have $300k in this thing if I hadn't done it all myself, instead of $100k.

D-I-Y ?

My boat project is nearing completion and the interior is fixed-up pretty good. The last thing to do is always the carpet because it gets so trashed while doing everything else.

Well, I can't get a carpet layer from Lowe's or somewhere like that because they refuse to do a boat. I don't know why though, it's just a plywood floor with those tack strips things around the edge...just like in a house. But they won't do it. And companies that do yacht carpet are a fucking ripoff. I only need like $700 worth of nice berber. The marine carpet place wants like $5k - fuck that.

I can pull up the old stuff as an easy template and cut it in the garage. But how do you tuck that so it looks better than shit?

View attachment 66879

View attachment 66880
You need a stair tool, that looks like a big ass dull edge chisel, and a kicker, flat head screw driver, and you may need to nail down some tack strip when you pull up the carpet.

View attachment 66879

View attachment 66880
The big issue you may run into is seams. If you have to do a seam, thats when a professional is really a must, or it will look like shit. I did carpet for about 6 months when I was like 20. I can do everything really good, except seams. I can make seams, and they dont look terrible, but I was not allowed to do them in anywhere excet doorways. Seam irons at fucking messy, and hot. I have seen some people do seams with hot glue guns, but it never looks good, and doesnt hold well.

image_13469.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The big issue you may run into is seams. If you have to do a seam, thats when a professional is really a must, or it will look like shit. I did carpet for about 6 months when I was like 20. I can do everything really good, except seams. I can make seams, and they dont look terrible, but I was not allowed to do them in anywhere excet doorways. Seam irons at fucking messy, and hot. I have seen some people do seams with hot glue guns, but it never looks good, and doesnt hold well.

image_13469.jpg

s-l500.jpg
Yeah, I've seen it done many times, and could muddle through it. The tack strips look fine. But I'll need new ones along where i put teak and holly floors in the galley and under that booth. Tucking it against that wood flooring will be the bitch.
Plus, the floor will eventually have to come up when the engines get new injectors.

I guess I'll have to go to a flooring store and offer cash for the job to some goober.