Burnin Down the House

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 67,441.00
My daughter was vacuuming her room earlier today. I walked by her room and smelled electrical burning. She said she smelled it and shut the vaccuum off. So im looking around, and the smell gets stronger. I see a cheap extension cord coming from the wall by her bed, to a phone charger, and pull the bed away from the wall.

Smoke is starting to come from the outlet, and had a flathead screw driver in my pocket, so i popped the cover and one of the screws on the neutral side is glowing hot.

I scream at her to grab the fire extinguisher, and i run to the panel to kill the breaker.

I run back up the stair and she was waiting to the fire extinguisher, but because the power was off, i grabbed a half bottle of watwr off her dresser and just spray it inside the electrical box. Tiny fire had started inside the outlet.

Scared the shit out of me. So fucking glad I happened to be home. She would have had no idea what to do.

Spent the rest of the afternoon pulling all the outlets from the wall and checking all the connections.

It seems that one of the neutral wires had a loose connection, and the vac was enough to heat that up. Didnt find any charring, or issues anywhere else on the circuit.

Close call, and crisis averted. You really never fucking know what can happen, and I am thankful for the timing. She could have easily been alone today.

20201021_154629.jpg

My daughter was vacuuming her room earlier today. I walked by her room and smelled electrical burning. She said she smelled it and shut the vaccuum off. So im looking around, and the smell gets stronger. I see a cheap extension cord coming from the wall by her bed, to a phone charger, and pull the bed away from the wall.

Smoke is starting to come from the outlet, and had a flathead screw driver in my pocket, so i popped the cover and one of the screws on the neutral side is glowing hot.

I scream at her to grab the fire extinguisher, and i run to the panel to kill the breaker.

I run back up the stair and she was waiting to the fire extinguisher, but because the power was off, i grabbed a half bottle of watwr off her dresser and just spray it inside the electrical box. Tiny fire had started inside the outlet.

Scared the shit out of me. So fucking glad I happened to be home. She would have had no idea what to do.

Spent the rest of the afternoon pulling all the outlets from the wall and checking all the connections.

It seems that one of the neutral wires had a loose connection, and the vac was enough to heat that up. Didnt find any charring, or issues anywhere else on the circuit.

Close call, and crisis averted. You really never fucking know what can happen, and I am thankful for the timing. She could have easily been alone today.

View attachment 7706

I bet she was all, "ohhh Dad! Yer like, sooo dramatic!" while chewing her gum

She was freaking the fuck out. She was going around her room and plugging everything and saying," never vaccuuming again!"

I bet you he was sooooo fucking dramatic, too.

fire panic GIF

and saying," never vaccuuming again!"

uhmmm... I hate to be the one to tell you this but she just played you like a fiddle.

Im only telling you this because I don’t want to see your wife use this line on you as well.

good lucky buddy

Last edited:
Fuck man, all jokes aside, glad to hear you and the family are okay.

now back to the jokes: soooo fucking dramatic
THE ROOF THE ROOF THE ROOF IS ON FIRE.....

Damn man, that's scary and a lucky catch. No joke this is why I popped for a FLIR camera, that and I love tech toys. I've used it more than I thought i would, but about 3 times a year I'll go around the house and look at all the outlets, appliances, and wet-walls to make sure there is nothing brewing.

Damn man, that's scary and a lucky catch. No joke this is why I popped for a FLIR camera, that and I love tech toys. I've used it more than I thought i would, but about 3 times a year I'll go around the house and look at all the outlets, appliances, and wet-walls to make sure there is nothing brewing.

I saw a cell phone that had a built in FLIR camera a few months ago. I'm sure not many would actually need that but it's still bad ass.