Cars you Almost Had

1974 V12 E Type. I had stars in my eyes. $5500 in 1977. Got scared off by tuen ups, it had 4 2 barrel carbs that required "frequent" tuneups.

View attachment 28064

page forum GIF

1967 corvette 427 4 speed.
Told the guy I'd be back next day with the money. His wife left him that night, then he drowned his sorrows and totaled it.

My dad had a 63 corvette roadster that he sold before we moved to a new town. It was used in all the parades for things like homecoming. He sold it for twice what he bought it for. I've seen them listed for over 100K lately. Not that I was ever close to getting this. I was a little kid.

1974 V12 E Type. I had stars in my eyes. $5500 in 1977. Got scared off by tuen ups, it had 4 2 barrel carbs that required "frequent" tuneups.

View attachment 28064
You'd have loved that car for the first weekend and then hated it. My brother recently got into MG's. He was dumb enough to buy, not one, but TWO of them. It's been a world of problems since just to be able to do some weekend driving every now and then.

The '96 was a great car. Man, they are super rare these days.
They seemed to drop off the map. I’m wondering if they start to come up more often from private owners as we go forward, or if they just didn’t last.

I’ve never we felt a great mix of smooth, plush ride and power. Dad said it was very much like the 60s in that way.

That dude in town with the white McLaren laughed when I said I would swap w/him. I guess the fact my car (Mazda 6) has dual overhead cams didn't move the needle.

You'd have loved that car for the first weekend and then hated it. My brother recently got into MG's. He was dumb enough to buy, not one, but TWO of them. It's been a world of problems since just to be able to do some weekend driving every now and then.
Had a chance and the money to buy a '61 MGA back in the 80s. Alas, we had 2 kids by then. Bought a new GLC instead.

View attachment 28062

I know I've mentioned it before, but this was my older brother's car in 1977. He was stationed at Fort Bragg and wanted a Vette so he told me he would sell this 67 Firebird w/400 long block and Muncie 4-speed to me when I went in the USAF and look for a late 60's Stingray.

Not sure what possessed him to let someone borrow the car, but he did and his buddy totaled it :facepalm:
Oh fucking Christ....you win. That story hurt my feelings....not so much for you but for the car.

This. Especially a Jag. Best friends dad was a finance manager at a Lincoln dealership and snagged a Jag off a trade in one day before it went to auction. He quickly wished he had let it go to auction.

Old boss bought his dream mid 80s SEL convertible and ended up spending damn near as much as he paid for it over the next few years to keep it running.

Like I said, I didn't buy it, scared off by tune ups.

Ended up with a Volvo wagon when I came to my senses.

Closest I ever came to American muscle was my 95 SHO.

I had a friend that was selling his 1969 Corvette Convertible.
I passed on it.
I never thought it rode that great.

1623604801698.png