EA NHL '23

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,256.00
Anyone have and play EA NHL '23 for next gen? I bought NHL '22 last year for PS4 and it was actually very entertaining and the graphics were great, but looking at some YouTube clips of '23 on next gen, it looks essentially like the same game. Is it worth getting besides simply roster and uniform updates?

I didn't buy '23, tried it when it came out on game pass, and no, it wasn't worth buying. Did buy '24, it actually has some gameplay changes and is probably worth it if you want the current NHL game. The pressure system is cool, new animations are cool. Seems more authentic. Can't just do the same move to score all game anymore it seems, cycling in the zone and trying to set up a shot pays off more now. Regarding next gen vs current gen, I have a series s, watched a few comparison videos, and bought the xbox one version to save $10. Still doesn't seem like they're putting much into providing a worth $10+ more current gen version.

I didn't buy '23, tried it when it came out on game pass, and no, it wasn't worth buying. Did buy '24, it actually has some gameplay changes and is probably worth it if you want the current NHL game. The pressure system is cool, new animations are cool. Seems more authentic. Can't just do the same move to score all game anymore it seems, cycling in the zone and trying to set up a shot pays off more now. Regarding next gen vs current gen, I have a series s, watched a few comparison videos, and bought the xbox one version to save $10. Still doesn't seem like they're putting much into providing a worth $10+ more current gen version.

I'm still playing my NHL '21 expansion franchise regularly. (I'm 60-something games into the 24-25 season and am chasing Gretzky's single-season scoring records with Jack Hughes.) I buy a new NHL game once every 3 or 4 years when it goes on sale for $30-$40. I've been considering getting '24 at some point because of the legit gameplay changes. I've had several people mention to me that '24 is more worth the purchase than several previous iterations that were simply a repackaged previous game. Your analysis aligns with and expands on what I've previously heard, so thank you for that.

I’m still playing NHL 21 as well. just like RP – 29 said I really don’t buy a new hockey game until I can get a good deal. I love playing the franchise, my boy Zigomanis Bustaczech is in his 5 season started as a devil, and then got traded to the avalanche

I'm still playing my NHL '21 expansion franchise regularly. (I'm 60-something games into the 24-25 season and am chasing Gretzky's single-season scoring records with Jack Hughes.) I buy a new NHL game once every 3 or 4 years when it goes on sale for $30-$40. I've been considering getting '24 at some point because of the legit gameplay changes. I've had several people mention to me that '24 is more worth the purchase than several previous iterations that were simply a repackaged previous game. Your analysis aligns with and expands on what I've previously heard, so thank you for that.
Something probably with considering that I didn’t mention because it doesn’t matter to me or affect me, they replaced hybrid controls with a weird one button special move layout. So you can do between the legs shots and the Michigan and stuff with one button.

I tried it because it kind of pushes it on you during set up, but quickly switched back to the total control set up because I’d rather be able to change lines and strategies with those buttons, and those are moves I’ve never had any interest in learning or using anyway. But if you play online (sounds like you don’t), I imagine dudes are just spamming those moves in there now. or if you preferred the hybrid controls, doesn’t seem like that’s an option anymore.

They also revamped checking/hit stick, for the better, but it’s also frustrating. It’s way harder to just charge and blast dudes now, and if your timing or trajectory is of off you’ll miss and be out of position on transitions.

So for my experience with the game, considering franchise and maybe other tournament offline modes are all I’m interested in, I’ve found the changes really make me play more honest, which I like because I want a realistic simulation. But if online is your thing, seems like they went the opposite way with it with the cheater special move controls.

Something probably with considering that I didn’t mention because it doesn’t matter to me or affect me, they replaced hybrid controls with a weird one button special move layout. So you can do between the legs shots and the Michigan and stuff with one button.

I tried it because it kind of pushes it on you during set up, but quickly switched back to the total control set up because I’d rather be able to change lines and strategies with those buttons, and those are moves I’ve never had any interest in learning or using anyway. But if you play online (sounds like you don’t), I imagine dudes are just spamming those moves in there now. or if you preferred the hybrid controls, doesn’t seem like that’s an option anymore.

They also revamped checking/hit stick, for the better, but it’s also frustrating. It’s way harder to just charge and blast dudes now, and if your timing or trajectory is of off you’ll miss and be out of position on transitions.

So for my experience with the game, considering franchise and maybe other tournament offline modes are all I’m interested in, I’ve found the changes really make me play more honest, which I like because I want a realistic simulation. But if online is your thing, seems like they went the opposite way with it with the cheater special move controls.
Thanks for the extra insight, my man.

You're correct, I do not play online, I play franchise almost exclusively (with the occasional exception of playing cooperative with fam on one screen). I would probably play more online if there was a cooperative online franchise mode.

The big question I have about the checking adjustments is... did it appropriately affect AI hitting physics or just user control? When I play defense, I'm not all about the arcade-y lay-em-out body checks, I play a more responsible style focused on proper positioning conductive of blocking shots and stick tie-ups, checks & pokes. One thing that has irked me about the AI on all versions of EA NHL is that AI defenders can instantaneously alter their inertia and lay you out with a huge body check despite actively skating backwards as you enter your offensive zone with speed. ...Is that still a frequent occurrence?

Thanks for the extra insight, my man.

You're correct, I do not play online, I play franchise almost exclusively (with the occasional exception of playing cooperative with fam on one screen). I would probably play more online if there was a cooperative online franchise mode.

The big question I have about the checking adjustments is... did it appropriately affect AI hitting physics or just user control? When I play defense, I'm not all about the arcade-y lay-em-out body checks, I play a more responsible style focused on proper positioning conductive of blocking shots and stick tie-ups, checks & pokes. One thing that has irked me about the AI on all versions of EA NHL is that AI defenders can instantaneously alter their inertia and lay you out with a huge body check despite actively skating backwards as you enter your offensive zone with speed. ...Is that still a frequent occurrence?
The AI still seems to have an easier time laying hits, which I didn’t really think about until you asked, but yeah, thinking about it I definitely seem to get laid out more than I’m laying out. YMMV considering I haven’t really thought about it though. The AI seems smarter too, which I think is a plus. It will adjust if you keep rushing the puck up the boards to enter the zone or generally try to exploit the same move.