Elden Ring?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,167.00
It's actually my first time hearing about this game, the reviews are pouring in and pretty much calling it a masterpiece -- game of the year.

It's out in a few days and now I'm intrigued -- specifically because they're saying it takes what Breath of the Wild did and improves upon it, and I loved BoTW. Might have to check this out if I have a bit of down time at any point.

I have it in my queue. Finished the Demon's Souls remake for PS5 recently. I'll probably start ER after I finish Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Based on everything I've seen, not to mention the reviews, ER looks like it's going to be great.

My second youngest kid turning 18 today, his girlfriend is getting him this. I have to admit I am intrigued.

My second youngest kid turning 18 today, his girlfriend is getting him this. I have to admit I am intrigued.
I've had several discussions with colleagues about this game. The highest recommendation is to play it on PS5 because the game's developer FromSoftware has developed primarily for the Playstation and is the most stable on that platform versus XBox or PC. The game also performs much better at the PS5's 60 FPS than the PS4's 30 FPS and reload times after death (which happens frequently) are typically 1-2 minutes on PS4 and less than 10 seconds on PS5.

My plan is to eventually get a PS5 and when I do, this will be the first game I get for it. Unfortunately for my bank account, I'll have to buy two PS5's and two copies of the game because my wife is gonna want to play too and co-op.

It is pretty darn good, and I don't typically play these kind of games. Now that I'm much further in, the game is more enjoyable but there's a lot of information, names, things to do so it's pretty overwhelming at the start for someone who's never played a Souls game. I like to figure out one thing to accomplish per time I log into it and it kind of chunks the game up that way.

It is pretty darn good, and I don't typically play these kind of games. Now that I'm much further in, the game is more enjoyable but there's a lot of information, names, things to do so it's pretty overwhelming at the start for someone who's never played a Souls game. I like to figure out one thing to accomplish per time I log into it and it kind of chunks the game up that way.
I played, died quickly. Respawned somewhere else and died again. Quickly.

I suck at this.

I played, died quickly. Respawned somewhere else and died again. Quickly.

I suck at this.
lol, that's about what happens early on (and even later) until you start figuring some stuff out and leveling up. Avoid most of the big guys at first. I even avoided most caves at first. I mostly explored, found some materials, killed enemies more my level, leveled up and then circled back to hit those higher things. One thing I did was just watch a few youtube videos on things you need early and that helps a lot.

lol, that's about what happens early on (and even later) until you start figuring some stuff out and leveling up. Avoid most of the big guys at first. I even avoided most caves at first. I mostly explored, found some materials, killed enemies more my level, leveled up and then circled back to hit those higher things. One thing I did was just watch a few youtube videos on things you need early and that helps a lot.
My son was looking at vids too last night to figure out how to do this and that. Probably the best way to get going, tbh.

My son was looking at vids too last night to figure out how to do this and that. Probably the best way to get going, tbh.
My general thing is to watch a "must do" type video that actually explains the quests and side quests (because I think that's where the game is lacking, explanation of what you're supposed to be doing), pick one of those things to do and hit it the next time I play. I also think it's best to, pretty early on, look up weapons you might like to go for and try and do those quests. Helps a lot to focus on a weapon early vs. spread your resources as you try more of them.

I've seen some videos on it annnnnnd it looks dumb. No offense, I just mean that it doesn't look like a game for me.

I've seen some videos on it annnnnnd it looks dumb. No offense, I just mean that it doesn't look like a game for me.
RPGs aren't usually my thing either, but I'm come to conclusion that I'm a sucker for the open world format on any kind of game. GTA, RDR2, BoTW -- all sucked me in. I like the exploration side of it rather than the forced track everyone must take.

RPGs aren't usually my thing either, but I'm come to conclusion that I'm a sucker for the open world format on any kind of game. GTA, RDR2, BoTW -- all sucked me in. I like the exploration side of it rather than the forced track everyone must take.
Oh I do to. I have most of the console Fallouts, Skyrim, RDR2, some GTAs, etc... but when I look at this game, it does not have anything that interests me, at least that I have seen so far.

I am put off by medieval sword and magic. Skyrim was ok, but that was because it was Bethesda and they know how to make shit interesting. Perhaps I would love Elden Ring, I will just never know.

Oh I do to. I have most of the console Fallouts, Skyrim, RDR2, some GTAs, etc... but when I look at this game, it does not have anything that interests me, at least that I have seen so far.

I am put off by medieval sword and magic. Skyrim was ok, but that was because it was Bethesda and they know how to make shit interesting. Perhaps I would love Elden Ring, I will just never know.
I'm not usually into these kind of games either, never really played any games like it. This is really the first and I really like it; but it took me a second, I really had to figure out what things meant before I started enjoying it. Once I got the lingo down and figured out some of what things did and meant, I started to get into it. Mostly because I've chosen to almost entirely ignore the magic side of it and just go around with a sword and shield slashing things to death. I bet you'd like Elden Ring; as pretty much the first medieval game I've ever played.

I like the concept of running around and exploring things, and Elden Ring does a great job at putting things around every corner. See something interesting in the distance or on the ground, it probably means something is there to explore. One of the things I hate about games like this usually is you get stuck on something and can't move on or just feel isolated and lose interest. But Elden Ring does a great job of bringing the multiplayer aspects in with signs other players can leave in spots, shadows of other players playing in the same area and you can summon or be summoned to help someone on bosses.

I just started playing this last night. I only have about 3 hours in, but so far it's terrific.

I've played every Souls(ish) game and this one has a lot of attributes from the previous games, only in open world.

If you're new to these games, don't get frustrated when you get absolutely demolished by the first "boss." You're meant to die in that fight.

Got a PS5 a month ago. I bought Elden Ring right away, but didn't really get an opportunity to get into it until the past 10 days. I put about 40 total hours into it during that time. Obviously, I dig it.

I didn't watch any videos or look anything up because I wanted my experience to be authentic open world exploration, not a guided tour of other people telling me how to play the game. I want a sense of accomplishment for conquering "difficult" and gradually leveling up through my own methods to turn "impossible" into "difficult" into "easy".

Through exploration, I discovered a means to level myself up to level 24 on day #1 of playing the game with no guidance or help. I'm currently level 58 and yesterday defeated three large bosses without dying once. I say that only to express an elevated sense of pride and personal accomplishment for figuring things out myself.

Got a PS5 a month ago. I bought Elden Ring right away, but didn't really get an opportunity to get into it until the past 10 days. I put about 40 total hours into it during that time. Obviously, I dig it.

I didn't watch any videos or look anything up because I wanted my experience to be authentic open world exploration, not a guided tour of other people telling me how to play the game. I want a sense of accomplishment for conquering "difficult" and gradually leveling up through my own methods to turn "impossible" into "difficult" into "easy".

Through exploration, I discovered a means to level myself up to level 24 on day #1 of playing the game with no guidance or help. I'm currently level 58 and yesterday defeated three large bosses without dying once. I say that only to express an elevated sense of pride and personal accomplishment for figuring things out myself.
I beat it a few months back. Awesome game. Should win Game of the Year I'd imagine. I'm actually playing Dark Souls 3 right now.