Favorite Reads

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Wanted to justify there being a whole forum for books and reading...so we should have more than one thread...

my favorites are a lot of the classics: Hitchhikers Guide, Tolkien, Rothfuss, Lynch, Sanderson, etc.

recent books I really liked were A Gentleman in Moscow, John Scalzi's The Last Emperox trilogy, Joe Abercrombie's First Law series.

I have tried Sam Sykes and liked it...I will likely read the next book in that series.

In the last year I've read two books back-to-back that were easily the most fascinating I've ever read.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
Adolf Hitler - John Toland

Both are behemoths. I bought both of them as hardbacks on eBay and when I got them I was blown away by the sheer size and thought I'll never be able to read these; they'll be like reading a dictionary. Started with The Third Reich and never stopped. Took many months but both were utterly fascinating. If you like WW2 history, READ THESE BOOKS.

In the last year I've read two books back-to-back that were easily the most fascinating I've ever read.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
Adolf Hitler - John Toland

Both are behemoths. I bought both of them as hardbacks on eBay and when I got them I was blown away by the sheer size and thought I'll never be able to read these; they'll be like reading a dictionary. Started with The Third Reich and never stopped. Took many months but both were utterly fascinating. If you like WW2 history, READ THESE BOOKS.
I have both those...hope you didn't pay for 'em. I'm trying to get rid of books n stuff for the day the kids go to college and I'm living on a boat.

I have to get started on this. If you want to talk politics without talking from thine ass, you have to go back and read what the Founders wrote - not just what is written about them by modern "academics."

I have both those...hope you didn't pay for 'em. I'm trying to get rid of books n stuff for the day the kids go to college and I'm living on a boat.

I have to get started on this. If you want to talk politics without talking from thine ass, you have to go back and read what the Founders wrote - not just what is written about them by modern "academics."

I was fortunate because I got a first edition hardback of Third Reich on eBay for less than $20 from back when books very made very well.

The Adolf Hitler was one of those great 1970's paperbacks with the real durable spine and super thin paper.

I think I posted here that I'm working up to reading the ultimate.

War and Peace.

I just finished Ken Follett A Column of Fire night before last, now reading a super-light EV Thomson book and then going to take a few days off and start in on Tolstoy.

This will definitely be the most daunting read I've ever tackled but after devouring the two above plus doing some research on W&P and preparing, I think I'm ready.

The Black Company - Glen Cook
Vlad Taltos novels - Steven Brust
Lightbringer series - Brent Weeks
Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
Farseer trilogy and all the rest of those books - Robin Hobb

And of course the Nine Princes in Amber books

Last edited:
Wanted to justify there being a whole forum for books and reading...so we should have more than one thread...

my favorites are a lot of the classics: Hitchhikers Guide, Tolkien, Rothfuss, Lynch, Sanderson, etc.

recent books I really liked were A Gentleman in Moscow, John Scalzi's The Last Emperox trilogy, Joe Abercrombie's First Law series.

I have tried Sam Sykes and liked it...I will likely read the next book in that series.
Rothfuss is a classic? Has he finished the damn series yet? I finished book two ages ago.

The Black Company - Glen Cook
Vlad Taltos novels - Steven Brust
Lightbringer series - Brent Weeks
Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
Farseer trilogy and all the rest of those books - Robin Hobb

And of course the Nine Princes in Amber books

Whoa, I don't have ANY of those!

Rothfuss is a classic? Has he finished the damn series yet? I finished book two ages ago.
the first two have been pretty highly touted....maybe just as a modern fantasy series along with The Gentleman Bastards that have a good following of fans. Maybe "classic" is a little much.

I was fortunate because I got a first edition hardback of Third Reich on eBay for less than $20 from back when books very made very well.

The Adolf Hitler was one of those great 1970's paperbacks with the real durable spine and super thin paper.

I think I posted here that I'm working up to reading the ultimate.

War and Peace.

I just finished Ken Follett A Column of Fire night before last, now reading a super-light EV Thomson book and then going to take a few days off and start in on Tolstoy.

This will definitely be the most daunting read I've ever tackled but after devouring the two above plus doing some research on W&P and preparing, I think I'm ready.

War and Peace gets bad press. I didn't find it wordy at all. Everything belongs.

Some of my favorites:

Huck Finn
The entire Dark Tower series
The Selfish Gene
The God Delusion
Moby Dick
Animal Farm
The Bible ... Seriously

Anything by Cormac McCarthy. Next question.

anything by Terry Pratchett and Christopher Moore. While I'm still working my way thru Pratchett's Discworld and Moore in general, both have been great.

Most of Sanderson is on my favorites list.

I think Furies of Calderon is by far the best book series Butcher has done. I prefer it to Dresden a lot.

I really like the Wheel of Time, to the point that I even enjoy book Path of Daggers and Crossroads of Twilight, which is apparently blasphemy.

Most of Sanderson is on my favorites list.

I think Furies of Calderon is by far the best book series Butcher has done. I prefer it to Dresden a lot.

I really like the Wheel of Time, to the point that I even enjoy book Path of Daggers and Crossroads of Twilight, which is apparently blasphemy.
I think I am maybe 2 books into Butcher's Codex Alara. I have only listened to the audiobooks, but I have enjoyed them. I need to pick the next one up soon.

I think I am maybe 2 books into Butcher's Codex Alara. I have only listened to the audiobooks, but I have enjoyed them. I need to pick the next one up soon.

I love that those books only exist to settle a bet. Spite novels are great.