Flower pot umbrella stands

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 67,441.00
So I mentioned these at the other place, and just found the pictures. I have made a few of these now, and friends and family want them. They work great for having an umbrella stand, that is fairly easy to move around, and be decorative, without just being one of those steel toe breaker things. I made some with fake flowers, and they came out nice, but the wife wanted something a little different. As per usual, she has the idea, and I have to figure out how to make it happen. She wanted some succulents in them, which is a desert type plant primarily.

So I take some electrical conduit, and drill a few holes in the bottom, put some heavy gauge wire through and make a bit of a basket to hole the pole and concrete together, drill a hoe in the top and weld a nut, and eye bolt, to secure the umbrella when done.
pot 2.jpg

I drilled some holes, right at the top of the concrete line for drainage, and one in the very bottom of the pot. then put some weed stop liner in, and put some rock for drainage, then wrapped that all up in the weed stop.
pot 5.jpgpot 6.jpg

The repeated the weed stop and filled that with the soil for the plants.
pot 8.jpgpot 9.jpg

Then planted the succulents one at a time, and floded the weed stop in as we went.
pot 10.jpgpot 11.jpgpot 12.jpg

Putting in rocks to hold the weed stop in along the way as awell.

pot 13.jpgpot 14.jpgpot 15.jpg

Actually really happy with how they came out. In the ones that I did with flake plants, I made a 2 inch thick styrofoam disk that fit over the top of the post, and wrapped with with foil type tape to keep the styrofoam from going everywhere, and stabbed some outdoor type flowers through and hot glued them in place. Those are still in good shape 3 years later.

View attachment 3237View attachment 3238View attachment 3239

Actually really happy with how they came out. In the ones that I did with flake plants, I made a 2 inch thick styrofoam disk that fit over the top of the post, and wrapped with with foil type tape to keep the styrofoam from going everywhere, and stabbed some outdoor type flowers through and hot glued them in place. Those are still in good shape 3 years later.
i've got a similar project to start,
but usin an old milk churn -

my concern is wind tippin it over -

i've got a similar project to start,
but usin an old milk churn -

my concern is wind tippin it over -
I put a 90lb bag of concrete in it. I dont leave the umbrellas up, and only use them when its not windy. They do fine unless the wind is over 15 to 20 mph.

@Peter Gozintite - While I thought the ones you did a few years back looked great, I thought the one way they'd be even better is if there were real plants in there.
Succulents are the perfect idea, since they take virtually no care.
I'd maybe add a couple of the trailing ones around the perimeter of a couple of the pots.
Everyone is different, but I love the way they drape over the sides of the pots.

2.-Burro%E2%80%99s-Tail.jpg