Free will?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
Do you even free will bro? You calling shots? Or are you predestined to do every single thing?

If you subscribe to the belief of virtually any religion, you're a "predetermined fate-r". You may think you get wiggle room, but nah.

I'll use the Bible specifically. Revelation has it all laid out, right? The Good Book knows what will happen, down to some very impressive detail. For those things to occur, there are a googolplex of other things that must happen in specific order for those beliefs to come true. The architect knows all, including the end so therefore we really have no free will whatsoever. Its a closed system. Chaos doesn't exist. Every atomic, sub-atomic and "smaller" particle must behave and move in a specific way for the end to be the end that is prophesied. Butterfly wings and all that...

I have the free will to

TLDR

Do you even free will bro? You calling shots? Or are you predestined to do every single thing?

If you subscribe to the belief of virtually any religion, you're a "predetermined fate-r". You may think you get wiggle room, but nah.

I'll use the Bible specifically. Revelation has it all laid out, right? The Good Book knows what will happen, down to some very impressive detail. For those things to occur, there are a googolplex of other things that must happen in specific order for those beliefs to come true. The architect knows all, including the end so therefore we really have no free will whatsoever. Its a closed system. Chaos doesn't exist. Every atomic, sub-atomic and "smaller" particle must behave and move in a specific way for the end to be the end that is prophesied. Butterfly wings and all that...

Now lets take it from a science point of view:

Newton's Third Law of Motion - For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Now we have to ask ourselves; What is a particle?

(1) Do submolecular particles act in a random manner?

(2) Do the Four "Known" Forces (Gravity, Electromagnetic, The Strong Force and The Weak Force) interact with each particle in the same manner?

(3) Is a wave a particle?

(4) Is thought a particle?

If the answer to questions 1-4 are yes, then the probability of Predetermination is rather high.

We now have to ask ourselves; Did God create the Universe (through the Big Bang) and does God meddle with the Universe?

For the record I don't have any answers. I believe that Predetermination is real, but I act as though it isn't.

@occupant great question and post.

I don’t believe in quantum physics when it comes to matters of the heart.

Now lets take it from a science point of view:

Newton's Third Law of Motion - For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Now we have to ask ourselves; What is a particle?

(1) Do submolecular particles act in a random manner?

(2) Do the Four "Known" Forces (Gravity, Electromagnetic, The Strong Force and The Weak Force) interact with each particle in the same manner?

(3) Is a wave a particle?

(4) Is thought a particle?

If the answer to questions 1-4 are yes, then the probability of Predetermination is rather high.

We now have to ask ourselves; Did God create the Universe (through the Big Bang) and does God meddle with the Universe?

For the record I don't have any answers. I believe that Predetermination is real, but I act as though it isn't.

@occupant great question and post.

I see it as a secular Pascal's Wager. If all is predetermined, then, all purpose in life is removed. Awareness presents choice. Free will.

Nihilism is a dead end street.

i can make my own decisions GIF by The Orchard Films

I believe we "have" Free Will.
I do not believe we are predetermined good guys or bad guys.
Do I believe we always "use" our free will? No.
Most of our decision making is manipulated all the way from birth.
But the Free Will is there.