Freedom or Order?

The natural state of humans is anarchy.
Society is forced order.

Make your argument for either.
The natural state of humans is self-interest. I wouldn't equate self-interest with anarchy. Also, speaking on the natural state of human(s) is to speak individually, not societally. You can't speak to the natural state of "humans" societally as that implies an order or structure of already being in existence thus society is inherently not anarchic.

But I also wouldn't call society 'forced order'. It is a broad acceptance of a larger self-interest. If society did not bear the benefits of tangible and intangible products and byproducts of self-interest, it would not exist. Society is inherently inevitable among a mass of people.

So the answer is order and it isn't exactly a choice as again, it is essentially inevitable. Freedom, in the context of this, is a bit of a misnomer as well.

Last edited:
The natural state of humans is anarchy.
Society is forced order.

Make your argument for either.
In a group (community) setting
you cant. that is a trick question.
It is about balance between the two for you can't have one without the other. (in a group setting)
If you have total freedom you have no order.
If you had complete order you have no freedoms.

I was reading some excerpts from Thomas Hobbes Leviathan. The question arises from that. Asked another way, can order only be accomplished by force?
yes. No matter how small, polite or innocent it is. Force is used.
if 4 people were together. 3 voted one way & the 4th refused to agree. the 4th can be forced to go along or be excluded. Either way force is actually used. Not in the way most people view force, but technically force is used.