Nebraska Cornhuskers Gameday, week 1 vs Minnesota

2Q summary.

OL is still weak/mediocre blockers, mobile QB sure hides a lot. WRs can't get separated, not sure if they r that bad or Minn DBs that good. The one play was a TD, can't believe they didn't give that. Then I was confused how they reviewed that and the false start still stood. Shouldn't the review happened before that play?

D - getting tired, need to get off field on 3rd down. DBs still giving too much space. DL needs to get pressure, still none.

Seems like a lot of basic play calling on both sides of the ball. Didn't see any freshmen out there on offense. I like Sims legs. His arm, not so much. On pace for 24 int's...

3Q summary. Some good runs thanks to Sims or RBs, blocking still so much to be fixed. Always seems to be at least one or two OL missing their block. It's like they can't anticipate how the defender is going to move.

D - good run D, and waiting on QB to make mistake, which he did for the INT. Ty makes stupid mistake and no pass rush. Just wish we could find a difference maker there, haven't had anyone in a long time. Gregory, the last good one?

3 int's, 2 of them at critical moments in the game. Who does he think he is, Adrian Martinez?
Also, fuck Anthony Grant.

Not liking the 10 yard cushion we had on their receivers, we traded one interception machine for another. Grant get your other hand/arm out of your ass and cover the frigging ball. 5 penalties and 3 or 4 turnovers lost.

4Q summary.

Stupid play calling. I don't get the 3 straight throws right after the 3 and out when up 7. Run game was starting to work. Why was Grant in at a critical time if he had fumbling issues? Sims staring down the receiver, I just don't get how/why at this level you aren't more conscious of it. Also, dipping into the QB draw way too often, became to predictable. I was annoyed with the lack of rollout to give Sims the run/pass option. And more read option, as they were starting to key on Sims and I thought that would have given RB more room. OL needs to put in work.

D - good, stopped the run. Tackling /rallying to ball/ speed seems better this year. Mediocre still in short pass coverage, just too much playing off. Need a pass rush really bad. I've always felt like Minn holds a lot and definitely saw a lot of it, refs weren't great there. But blitzes were too easily picked up.

ST seemed improved. Actually had a kick return cross midfield. Punt unit, I thought was odd, that one roughing call was close to blocked and I thought a few others had to much pressure.

I'm optimistic though, PJ been there 6 years and we were right there if not for our turnovers, we win. Our talent was equal, if not better, except maybe OL. If that unit can improve might actually make that bowl game.

Well, we have a base to compare the progress (or lack thereof) thru the season.
There will be turnovers. The team needs to figure out a way to win in spite of the turnovers.

Not freaking out over a game I didn’t expect to win in the first place. However it was still a kick in the nuts knowing we had every opportunity to win that game.

Now that we finally have a sample size, I’m interested to see how Ruhle and staff can use that game to build on the good, correct the bad and develop these players. More than anything that’s what I want to see this year. Progress from game one to game twelve.

Give us some hope.

4Q summary.

Stupid play calling. I don't get the 3 straight throws right after the 3 and out when up 7. Run game was starting to work. Why was Grant in at a critical time if he had fumbling issues? Sims staring down the receiver, I just don't get how/why at this level you aren't more conscious of it. Also, dipping into the QB draw way too often, became to predictable. I was annoyed with the lack of rollout to give Sims the run/pass option. And more read option, as they were starting to key on Sims and I thought that would have given RB more room. OL needs to put in work.

D - good, stopped the run. Tackling /rallying to ball/ speed seems better this year. Mediocre still in short pass coverage, just too much playing off. Need a pass rush really bad. I've always felt like Minn holds a lot and definitely saw a lot of it, refs weren't great there. But blitzes were too easily picked up.

ST seemed improved. Actually had a kick return cross midfield. Punt unit, I thought was odd, that one roughing call was close to blocked and I thought a few others had to much pressure.

I'm optimistic though, PJ been there 6 years and we were right there if not for our turnovers, we win. Our talent was equal, if not better, except maybe OL. If that unit can improve might actually make that bowl game.

mmmmmm? I recall Nebraska's first possession starting from the one yard-line after a Minnesota punt that was allowed to roll from the 20.
They got off to a horrible start.

One thing that immediately stood out to me and noticed all game was our kickoff coverage. We had hats on the ball and hit, not allowing them to cross the 20 multiple times.

Even on defense it was good to see multiple players swarming to the ball to tackle.

I’d give our special teams an A- last night which was a breath of fresh air.

Nicolas Cage Someone GIF

Well, we have a base to compare the progress (or lack thereof) thru the season.
There will be turnovers. The team needs to figure out a way to win in spite of the turnovers.
And
american football flag GIF by ransport

Thinking it will not be pretty in Boulder next Saturday, could be down right ugly.

Thinking it will not be pretty in Boulder next Saturday, could be down right ugly.
Atmosphere and game. I feel for those Husker fans getting hit by piss cups, having car tires slashed, and dealing with college age preschoolers.

Atmosphere and game. I feel for those Husker fans getting hit by piss cups, having car tires slashed, and dealing with college age preschoolers.
Yes, I heard all that. Not a classy crowd there in CO I guess. The early line is Buffs -1.5 Great bet IMO.