Home Office

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 5,357.00
I'm in the middle of musical rooms to get my kid in the downstairs converted dining room (my current office) for remote school rather than a desk in her bedroom.

Her old playroom is now her bedroom. Drywall repair from a mirror and a couple coats of paint were all that went into that room.

Her old bedroom is on it's way to being my office. I need to edit some better start and progress photos, but this room was pink and teal. So grey primer and a few coats of dark blue and it's now the color I want. Installed a laminate floor. Installed closet organization. Now it's time for new baseboard and this:

I like the up lighting for reduced glare on computer screens, but the real reason for this is the awful decision I made back at christmas time to buy my kid LED lights and use the included doublesided tape to attach them around the room.

So I have a weekend of fighting with crown molding corners ahead of me.

So I have a weekend of fighting with crown molding corners ahead of me.
Crown moulding is easy to cut.....when you know the secret.

It's actually so easy to cut you may kick yourself for not knowing this easy trick.

Who knows the trick?

I wish I was good at this stuff. I am completely clueless with contractor type jobs. I can do basic plumbing, pretty good with electrical... but this kind of stuff I gotta pay for. My condo building just had our fascia/soffit board ripped apart by Chicago tornadoes/wind and I have no clue what to do outside of call someone and get bent over. Yes... a hammer and nails scare me.

I guess in defense of my manhood, I find it absolutely insane when anyone takes any electronic device to GeekSquad or a computer tech and spends hundreds... as I've been building/repairing PCs/Laptops/TVs since I was in College...

Crown stops

If you take your time and mark the "4" mark from the fence, on the base of your miter saw....then hold every piece of molding on that line....before making the cut....it will work every time. The tool makes it easier to hold all the molding at that distance....but is not required.

Yes... a hammer and nails scare me.
Stay away from ladders....

200.gif

Have fun.... remember to cut upside down!!!
Ugh. I had that lesson once with baseboards. My ex and I were very much about to kill one another until I started figuring things like this out.

Crown stops

I've never seen anything like that before.... I usually have to screw up at least 3 stick of crown molding before it comes back to me. I just don't do it enough anymore.

I need to figure out how I am going to configure my space. Still have boxes of shit in here from storage.

I have to build the closet interiors, which should help me get the extra shit out of both my son's future room and my office. Then we need to figure out if we need half the stuff we have.

Was hoping we would have been able to do all this while I was home on paternity leave.

I need to figure out how I am going to configure my space. Still have boxes of shit in here from storage.

I have to build the closet interiors, which should help me get the extra shit out of both my son's future room and my office. Then we need to figure out if we need half the stuff we have.

Was hoping we would have been able to do all this while I was home on paternity leave.
Yeah...newborn life is where good plans and intentions go to die lol. That’s how I remember it anyway.

I would suggest slim lining your stuff first. You will still want to build those closets as big as you can (kids and all) but it could really help motivation and flow to have the backed up stuff slimmed out.

Just my.....2 cents.

(Where the fuck is any kind of 2 cents emoji? Is Hooplanation also experiencing lack of

Yeah...newborn life is where good plans and intentions go to die lol. That’s how I remember it anyway.

I would suggest slim lining your stuff first. You will still want to build those closets as big as you can (kids and all) but it could really help motivation and flow to have the backed up stuff slimmed out.

Just my.....2 cents.

(Where the fuck is any kind of 2 cents emoji? Is Hooplanation also experiencing lack of
The closets were framed out by the basement contractor. I'm actually going to make the interior. I think they were supposed to do that, but whatever, fuck it. Project went on too long to begin with, I just wanted it done before the kid was born. They were here yesterday doing touch-ups.

The closets were framed out by the basement contractor. I'm actually going to make the interior. I think they were supposed to do that, but whatever, fuck it. Project went on too long to begin with, I just wanted it done before the kid was born. They were here yesterday doing touch-ups.

Shit. That’s right. You said interior.

Tough ups huh? Too bad “touch ups” don’t include drywall and paint lol.

Still stand by the point....slim lining is the way to go first.

I need to do that with my garage shop. Suddenly I’ve accumulated more tools than functional space. Latest project has been a bear with shit all over the place.

Shit. That’s right. You said interior.

Tough ups huh? Too bad “touch ups” don’t include drywall and paint lol.

Still stand by the point....slim lining is the way to go first.

I need to do that with my garage shop. Suddenly I’ve accumulated more tools than functional space. Latest project has been a bear with shit all over the place.
Garage is still a shit show here, too. There's a couple doors that didn't get used in the project that the contractor is supposed to be taking out. I then can start throwing shit out, and maybe moving some stuff back to the basement, like my homebrew gear.

Upside down and reversed.
Nope

The trick is to hold it in place just like it will be installed, while cutting.

1598042230138.png

Notice the "h" dimension? Mark a line on the base of your miter saw from the fence, that dimension. Hold the moulding on that line when cutting. Side "p" will be against the fence when cutting. Now make your cut depending if it will be an inside or outside corner.

1598042474029.png

This photo shows marking "P" dimension on fence, but it's easier to mark "H" instead on the base...

base.jpg

Last edited:
And used those fluted casing with rosettes around doors and window n sech...so you don't have to miter all those, too.

Crown moulding is easy to cut.....when you know the secret.

It's actually so easy to cut you may kick yourself for not knowing this easy trick.

Who knows the trick?
Nope

The trick is to hold it in place just like it will be installed, while cutting.

View attachment 505

Notice the "h" dimension? Mark a line on the base of your miter saw from the fence, that dimension. Hold the moulding on that line when cutting. Side "p" will be against the fence when cutting. Now make your cut depending if it will be an inside or outside corner.

View attachment 507

This photo shows marking "P" dimension on fence, but it's easier to mark "H" instead on the base...

View attachment 508
No, the trick is to hire a professional. He'll have a good sliding mitre box that allows him to cut the outside corners flat on the saw and he'll know that you cope inside corners :thumb: