Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - Bracket Builder #1

From this list of 24 CFB coaches, who do you think is the top 8 of All-Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With 19 total votes

Would make the Seeding Thread right now

Bear Bryant - 17 votes
Tom Osborne - 17 votes
Woody Hayes - 13 votes
Urban Meyer - 10 votes
Bobby Bowden - 8 votes
Jimmy Johnson - 8 votes
Joe Paterno - 8 votes
Pete Carroll - 6 votes
Amos Alonzo Stagg - 5 votes
Bob Devaney - 5 votes
Bernie Bierman - 4 votes
Robert Neyland - 4 votes

Would be filtered out right now

Frank Broyles - 3 votes
Vince Dooley - 3 votes
Frank Leahy - 3 votes
Hayden Fry - 2 votes
John Heisman - 2 votes
Lou Holtz - 2 votes
Johnny Majors - 2 votes
Forest Evachevski - 1 vote
Phil Fulmer - 1 vote
Howard Jones - 1 vote
John McKay - 1 vote
Mack Brown - 0 votes

Not surprising: Bryant and Osborne being the top two. Everyone should agree with that out of this list.

Surprising: Everyone was supposed to pick 8 and given that Bryant has one more than Osborne... someone that voted is a complete fucking idiot and didn't vote for Osborne.

still taking entries for next thread. Not including any in the poll above. Here is the list so far.

Mike Price
Eddie Robinson
Knute Rockne
Darrell Royal
Nick Saban
Howard Schnellenberger
Bill Snyder
Steve Spurrier
Gene Stallings
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Barry Switzer
Jim Tressell
Pop Warner
Bud Wilkinson
Fielding Yost
FYI.

Switzer
Wilkinson
Saban
Rockne
Spurrier
Yost
Swinney
Stoops

Those are the answers for the next list.

Not surprising: Bryant and Osborne being the top two. Everyone should agree with that out of this list.

Surprising: Everyone was supposed to pick 8 and given that Bryant has one more than Osborne... someone that voted is a complete fucking idiot and didn't vote for Osborne.
Was tied up after someone must have picked Osborne and not picked Bear. Bear back up by 1 I’ve got Bear and Jim McKay over Osborne. Jim McKay had 4 natties. Some great stories between Bear and Jim two of the all time greats

Attachments

• 58F919AF-7925-439E-B869-15B82ADBBC74.png
    58F919AF-7925-439E-B869-15B82ADBBC74.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 0
still taking entries for next thread. Not including any in the poll above. Here is the list so far.

Mike Price
Eddie Robinson
Knute Rockne
Darrell Royal
Nick Saban
Howard Schnellenberger
Bill Snyder
Steve Spurrier
Gene Stallings
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Barry Switzer
Jim Tressell
Pop Warner
Bud Wilkinson
Fielding Yost
Chip Kelly

Was tied up after someone must have picked Osborne and not picked Bear. Bear back up by 1 I’ve got Bear and Jim McKay over Osborne. Jim McKay had 4 natties. Some great stories between Bear and Jim two of the all time greats
Blasphemer.

I know you have your opinion, but I feel compelled to lay out my disagreement lol.

McKay: 127-40-8/ 9 conference titles/ 4 national titles (why? who knows lol)/ had 2 losing seasons/ 9 bowl appearances in 16 seasons

Osborne: 255-49-3/ 13 conference titles + a divisional title/ 3 national titles / 25 consecutive bowl appearances in 25 seasons/ NEVER had less than 9 wins partly in an era with 11 games/ NEVER lost more than 3 games in a season in his entire coaching career.

Osborne also had to deal with another blue blood in the conference in Oklahoma. USC had... who am I kidding, still has no other blue blood in the conference. Osborne was also coach of the greatest cfb team of all time.

This was fun.

Blasphemer.

I know you have your opinion, but I feel compelled to lay out my disagreement lol.

McKay: 127-40-8/ 9 conference titles/ 4 national titles (why? who knows lol)/ had 2 losing seasons/ 9 bowl appearances in 16 seasons

Osborne: 255-49-3/ 13 conference titles + a divisional title/ 3 national titles / 25 consecutive bowl appearances in 25 seasons/ NEVER had less than 9 wins partly in an era with 11 games/ NEVER lost more than 3 games in a season in his entire coaching career.

Osborne also had to deal with another blue blood in the conference in Oklahoma. USC had... who am I kidding, still has no other blue blood in the conference. Osborne was also coach of the greatest cfb team of all time.

This was fun.
By that Standard Pete Carroll would be rated much higher. I loved Pete but I can’t put him above McKay. Aside from the 4 National titles McKay played a pivotal role in the history of college football along with Bear. Bear is the best hands down outside maybe Saban imo.Some debatable choices some of the older coaches undervalues some newer too high. Wouldn’t get my vote for Urban or Paterno either tho.

By that Standard Pete Carroll would be rated much higher. I loved Pete but I can’t put him above McKay. Aside from the 4 National titles McKay played a pivotal role in the history of college football along with Bear. Bear is the best hands down outside maybe Saban imo.Some debatable choices some of the older coaches undervalues some newer too high. Wouldn’t get my vote for Urban or Paterno either tho.
Not sure what/if 'standard' is supposed to imply, but those are real stats and I think when discussing best coach, the stats matter most. Discussions of impactfulness to the sport or influential or whatever are fine conversations as well, but not related to who is the greatest coach.

I would also agree that Bryant is #1, I just don't agree that McKay would be above Osborne.... and honestly, I would probably argue Osborne against any coach not named Bear Bryant, even though some OU posters on here would make it difficult lol.

It's all opinion, I just always feel compelled to hold on to the last bit of greatest we had lol.

Not sure what/if 'standard' is supposed to imply, but those are real stats and I think when discussing best coach, the stats matter most. Discussions of impactfulness to the sport or influential or whatever are fine conversations as well, but not related to who is the greatest coach.

I would also agree that Bryant is #1, I just don't agree that McKay would be above Osborne.... and honestly, I would probably argue Osborne against any coach not named Bear Bryant, even though some OU posters on here would make it difficult lol.

It's all opinion, I just always feel compelled to hold on to the last bit of greatest we had lol.
If we are debating greatest team of all time one could easily put Pete Carroll at the top. But that’s debatable.Stats only matter to a point. People rely far too much on stats.Do we discount some great ND coaches because they are independent and don’t have conference titles? We can all skew stats in a multitude of directions to suit our narratives.I voted based on success , stats , character and history As I said as much as I liked Pete, John McKay was just a different breed. These polls are fun but in the end it’s just to hard to avoid biases. They are based on opinion after all.

If we are debating greatest team of all time one could easily put Pete Carroll at the top.
giphy.gif

04 USC is probably top 5, but not top 3 in my opinion. I would direct you to this video, though it doesn't talk about 04 USC as they just didn't make the top 3. As for comparing 04 USC to 95 Nebraska... see the spoiler for condensing the post size.
USC in 2004 had 5 games decided by less than 14 points. Unranked Virginia Tech (11), @ unranked Stanford (3), #9 California (6), @ unranked Oregon State (8), @ unranked UCLA (5).

Nebraska's closest game in 1995 was decided by 14, against unranked Washington State. They had one decided by 23 (@ #5 Colorado) and one decided by 24 (#6 Kansas State). They had no other games decided by less than 37 (their national championship blowout of Florida was their fifth closest game of the season).

2004 USC
@ Virginia Tech…W 24-13
vs. Colorado State…W 49-0
@ Brigham Young…W 42-10
@ Stanford…W 31-28
vs. #9 California…W 23-17
vs. #19 Arizona State…W 45-7
vs. Washington…W 38-0
@ Washington State…W 42-12
@ Oregon State…W 28-20
vs. Arizona…W 49-9
vs. Notre Dame…W 41-10
@ UCLA…W 29-24
Orange Bowl: vs. #3 Oklahoma…W 55-19

Average Scoring Margin: 38.2 - 13 (25.2 Margin of Victory)
Average Scoring Margin vs. Top 25: 41 – 14.3 (26.7 Margin of Victory)
Average Top 25 Opponent Ranking (Final Polls): 10.3 (3 Teams; 2 home, 1 neutral site)
Average Yards Per Game: 449.1
Average Yards Given Up Per Game: 279.3

1995 Nebraska
@ Oklahoma State…W 64-21
@ Michigan State…W 50-10
vs. Arizona State…W 77-28
vs. Pacific…W 49-7
vs. Washington State…W 35-21
vs. Missouri…W 57-0
vs. #6 Kansas State…W 49-25
@ #5 Colorado…W 44-21
Iowa State…W 73-14
@ #9 Kansas…W 41-3
Oklahoma…W 37-0
Fiesta Bowl vs. #2 Florida…W 62-24

Average Scoring Margin: 53.2 - 14.5 (38.7 Margin of Victory)
Average Scoring Margin vs. Top 25: 49.0 – 18.3 (30.7 Margin of Victory)
Average Top 25 Opponent Ranking (Final Polls): 5.5 (4 teams; 1 home, 2 away, 1 neutral site)
Average Yards Per Game: 556.3
Average Yards Given Up Per Game: 294.1

Nebraska takes every category with the lone exception of average yards given up per game, but that isn't a big difference anyway. Never mind Nebraska playing 4 top 10 teams and USC only playing 2 and only 3 ranked teams total.

Not to mention, I would be willing to bet you would find more sites... and probably people that would think 95 Nebraska over 04 USC

Last edited:
FYI.

Switzer
Wilkinson
Saban
Rockne
Spurrier
Yost
Swinney
Stoops

Those are the answers for the next list.
Didn't see him on the list, but Bo Schembechler should be mentioned as well. 234-65-8

....though no national titles

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

04 USC is probably top 5, but not top 3 in my opinion. I would direct you to this video, though it doesn't talk about 04 USC as they just didn't make the top 3. As for comparing 04 USC to 95 Nebraska... see the spoiler for condensing the post size.
USC in 2004 had 5 games decided by less than 14 points. Unranked Virginia Tech (11), @ unranked Stanford (3), #9 California (6), @ unranked Oregon State (8), @ unranked UCLA (5).

Nebraska's closest game in 1995 was decided by 14, against unranked Washington State. They had one decided by 23 (@ #5 Colorado) and one decided by 24 (#6 Kansas State). They had no other games decided by less than 37 (their national championship blowout of Florida was their fifth closest game of the season).

2004 USC
@ Virginia Tech…W 24-13
vs. Colorado State…W 49-0
@ Brigham Young…W 42-10
@ Stanford…W 31-28
vs. #9 California…W 23-17
vs. #19 Arizona State…W 45-7
vs. Washington…W 38-0
@ Washington State…W 42-12
@ Oregon State…W 28-20
vs. Arizona…W 49-9
vs. Notre Dame…W 41-10
@ UCLA…W 29-24
Orange Bowl: vs. #3 Oklahoma…W 55-19

Average Scoring Margin: 38.2 - 13 (25.2 Margin of Victory)
Average Scoring Margin vs. Top 25: 41 – 14.3 (26.7 Margin of Victory)
Average Top 25 Opponent Ranking (Final Polls): 10.3 (3 Teams; 2 home, 1 neutral site)
Average Yards Per Game: 449.1
Average Yards Given Up Per Game: 279.3

1995 Nebraska
@ Oklahoma State…W 64-21
@ Michigan State…W 50-10
vs. Arizona State…W 77-28
vs. Pacific…W 49-7
vs. Washington State…W 35-21
vs. Missouri…W 57-0
vs. #6 Kansas State…W 49-25
@ #5 Colorado…W 44-21
Iowa State…W 73-14
@ #9 Kansas…W 41-3
Oklahoma…W 37-0
Fiesta Bowl vs. #2 Florida…W 62-24

Average Scoring Margin: 53.2 - 14.5 (38.7 Margin of Victory)
Average Scoring Margin vs. Top 25: 49.0 – 18.3 (30.7 Margin of Victory)
Average Top 25 Opponent Ranking (Final Polls): 5.5 (4 teams; 1 home, 2 away, 1 neutral site)
Average Yards Per Game: 556.3
Average Yards Given Up Per Game: 294.1

Nebraska takes every category with the lone exception of average yards given up per game, but that isn't a big difference anyway. Never mind Nebraska playing 4 top 10 teams and USC only playing 2 and only 3 ranked teams total.

Not to mention, I would be willing to bet you would find more sites... and probably people that would think 95 Nebraska over 04 USC

I’ll try to watch the video tomorrow. This has been debated many times and there are a lot of variables.Different eras , different conferences, changes to the game like rules and amount of games played. Which gets into skewed stats. Amount of games played directly impacts points per game etc.... Honestly It’s debatable whether or not 04 SC is the greatest SC team of all time. I can say I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on rankings. Rankings have been flawed by design since inception. Hell Dabo just ranked Ohio State 11th...Could also claim Nebraska has never beaten SC. SC’s defense shut down AP etc....In the end as much as we all love to talk college football, banter and debate. The only real way to know would be to have them play which obviously can’t happen so it’s really just opinions which tend to be slanted.

I felt dirty voting for Paterno

The two who should be dominating this list are, but I'm surprised to see Bowden with only 10.

Didn't see him on the list, but Bo Schembechler should be mentioned as well. 234-65-8

....though no national titles

tenor.gif

Thanks. I did add him on the post after the list.