How do we place value on a human life?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
What are the parameters?

Is potential more "valuable" than past actions?

It's apparently $7-9 million

I was actually thinking about this the other day. After hearing about China's "'social score" or whatever, without researching it, is actually an interesting idea in theory.

The reality is, some people are literally a "net negative" to society.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. After hearing about China's "'social score" or whatever, without researching it, is actually an interesting idea in theory.

This is where I hoped the discussion would lead. Is a person's value determined by what he contributes to society?

This is where I hoped the discussion would lead. Is a person's value determined by what he contributes to society?
It probably should be, at least in terms of the people whose score falls into the negative.

While we are our own "individual people", we all contribute to society. I mean, unless you completely live off the land in some remote area, your actions and behaviors impact other people around you. You are compensated at work, for the work you put in, which impacts society. Work is essentially a "reward" for good behavior. On the other end of the spectrum, you have thieves and murderers, who prey on on people who are contributing.

I don't think it needs to get more existential than that really (But George Dubya Bush killed for oil! and that kind of shit)

It probably should be, at least in terms of the people whose score falls into the negative.

While we are our own "individual people", we all contribute to society. I mean, unless you completely live off the land in some remote area, your actions and behaviors impact other people around you. You are compensated at work, for the work you put in, which impacts society. Work is essentially a "reward" for good behavior. On the other end of the spectrum, you have thieves and murderers, who prey on on people who are contributing.

I don't think it needs to get more existential than that really (But George Dubya Bush killed for oil! and that kind of shit)
To clarify a bit, I don't at all think someone with a "lower" score is more valuable than someone with a higher score.

I have absolute respect for people who do jobs or live lives I wouldn't want to live. I'm not the type of person to suck a celebrity off, either.

I think there is just as much value for a Janitor as there is for a Nurse as there is for a CEO. I do NOT think there is much value to people who perpetually steal/kill and whatever else brings us down as a whole.

I wasn't going G Dubya. I merely have a problem reconciling individualism with the collectivism of society.

I know a Canadian guy who's lived in central China for the last ten years. So strange but the dude loves it. He was telling me stuff I couldn't believe. They're doing true "eye in the sky" type stuff over there. Using literally millions of camera networked to a central computer with facial recognition and assigning social scores based on limitless parameters. He told me he knows a guy who got what looked like a speeding ticket in the mail and it was an automated thing saying his social score had been reduced because he was observed in the company of someone with a much lower social score.

True George Orwell dystopian stuff going on right now. And don't for a second think that if China isn't doing it, the NSA isn't miles ahead of them.

I know a Canadian guy who's lived in central China for the last ten years. So strange but the dude loves it. He was telling me stuff I couldn't believe. They're doing true "eye in the sky" type stuff over there. Using literally millions of camera networked to a central computer with facial recognition and assigning social scores based on limitless parameters. He told me he knows a guy who got what looked like a speeding ticket in the mail and it was an automated thing saying his social score had been reduced because he was observed in the company of someone with a much lower social score.

True George Orwell dystopian stuff going on right now. And don't for a second think that if China isn't doing it, the NSA isn't miles ahead of them.
Yea, I'm not in favor of something THAT extreme. I just think that murderers or serial rapist/thieves simply don't fit in with how a normal society should work. It blows me away that in our justice system, any murderer is ever set free. Like if you take a life, you should lose yours, be it through jail or death penalty. Instead, these people get out in 20-25 years sometimes for "good behavior. Freedom to play the newest xbox, drive the coolest cars after killing someone. Same with serial offenders. If you havent learned from your 3rd or 4th violent armed robbery, I don't think you ever will.

Some toys are just broken, they need to be taken out of the toy box. So they stop poking kids fucking eyes out.

Then I'm worth at least one billion.

We need another world war...remind us all that we're nothing to the bankers.

What are the parameters?

Is potential more "valuable" than past actions?
it often feels like we label a lot of lives as "disposable"

and that isn't just based on race. It feels like we often consider soldiers disposable as well.

I'm sure there is a Insurance Underwriter out there that has figured this out.

Frederick the Great said war was the ultimate cleanser of mankind and not surprisingly, his biggest fan Adolf agreed!
It cleanses us of the young and strong to leave the unable and unwilling. We've been evolving in reverse since Sparta.

Hitler saw it differently. He said that Providence used war to vanquish the weak, classic human evolution.
Yeah, and society frowned upon his ethnic cleansing. He was just trying to help!

Wifey has something called "factor 4." It's a blood clotting gene that evolved from thousands of years of warfare around the Mediterranean. The guy who clotted the best lived through the battle with a couple wounds and went home to procreate. But it also causes miscarriages and other problems. War has greatly affected our gene pool in ways we don't see.

there has to be qualitative titles given to the citizenry for the sake of law and order with the ultimate consequence of a death sentence if for no other reason but as somekind of explanation to the social contract ...

but it’s a horrible fact that there are more thieves and murderers living in mansions than there are in jail cells ...