How do you define the "GOAT" for any sport?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 197,000.00
In your personal opinion do you value dominance or do you value longevity? Do you value wins or do you value overall ability? Do you value a skill set or do you value well rounded?

I only bring this up because I was thinking about Tiger vs. Jack. I feel like I'm holding a double standard because I prefer Tiger as the Goat because of his dominance in his era. No one could touch him. But Jack probably played against a stronger field. Equipment argument is moot because each era had players playing with the same technology of their era.

Yet I hold Jordan as my GOAT, when he played against a less skilled era. Different rules. Lebron doesn't have as many championships but went up against one of the best dynasties in NBA history. His consecutive Finals run is nuts when you think about it. Also Lebron's era has had much better overall competition and parity than Jordan's era.

Then you have Ali vs Tyson/Mayweather/Sugar Ray, etc.
Jon Jones vs. GSP/Khabib/Fedor, etc.
Jerry Rice vs Moss
Brady vs. Montana
Bill Russell vs anyone

Just wondering where everyone here stands on how they value players in terms of GOAT rankings.

I think there is a mix of dominance, peak and longevity but that is just my opinion. No real formula and that's why for most sports there is a discussion.

Also, it's difficult at times when comparing different era bc rules change and competition in some sports, like NBA, gets stronger. The athleticism, competition and shooting ability of the players in today's NBA game is completely different. Teams can go 9-10 deep with great athleticism and have shooters at all positions so in that aspect it can be very difficult to compare eras.

MLB, NHL and now NFL are pretty clear imo - Ruth, Gretzky and Brady

What you mention above is like position GOAT for example? Moss and Rice is a good discussion but you could argue Rice had the longevity and peak longevity. Kinda like Lebron, Rice was great for so long but Moss was as well but Rice took it to a different level. Moss probably had the best season of the two players but so many others factors are too lopsided in Rice's favor.

The most dominant player ever

Jim Brown
Michael Jordan
Babe Ruth
Wayne Gretzky
Tiger Woods
Muhammad Ali