“If I played now, I’d average 60” - The Big Fella

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 2,440.00
He was unstoppable when teams in the Pacific all carried a goon squad, most notably the Sacramento Queens.
In today’s “defense” Shaq averages at least 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see it.

No team has a 5-spot being manned with anyone similar to Shaq. So there is not a defense that is designed to stop a player such as Shaq.

I think a Kareem or Olajuwon could be pretty good as well against today's defenses.

Game today is too lazy. He wouldn’t get as many touches with these cats shooting 3s. The centers as we knew it in the 80s 90s 00s are practically extinct

Nope, he wouldn't. He wouldn't average 40.

BTW...so many more athletes today. Some people think they don't play defense these days...those people are wrong. We have teams that are 9-10 deep with all athletes. Centers are athletes that can shoot 3's at 37% clip and they can dribble lol. AD is a guard in 7 footers body. There are guards that are 6'10", forwards that can dribble and shoot that are 7'0" lol.

Today teams average 111 ppg
In 1985 teams averaged 111 ppg
In 1965 teams averaged 115 ppg

The rules have changed but that's about it...but the narrative of no defense is a garbage narrative. At some points, it's pretty hard to play defense without fouling with these rules. If they had hand checking today, it would be pretty hard to score and they wouldn't be scoring near 111 ppg like they did with hand checking...more athletes in today's game without a doubt.

Game today is too lazy. He wouldn’t get as many touches with these cats shooting 3s. The centers as we knew it in the 80s 90s 00s are practically extinct

It's not that it's lazy, actually the opposite...centers are so much more versatile now and the league is centered around the 3 ball. It's like you need a jumpshot to be a very good to great center in the league now unless you are a defensive monster like Gobert. It takes much more skill to be center or big man these days.
Centers back in the day would not make it past halftime without being worn out after chasing around the centers these days. How is that lazy? You could call the the centers back in the day, "lazy". Wilt Chamberlain sat on the block against 6'8" guys calling for the ball or waiting for the rebound, then he got a layup or dunked it. If AD was matched up against a 6'8" dude that couldn't jump...he would put up 50 a game.

Dude you are such homer for old school basketball. It's not easier to score, athletes MAKE IT LOOK easier to score.

It's not that it's lazy, actually the opposite...centers are so much more versatile now and the league is centered around the 3 ball. It's like you need a jumpshot to be a very good to great center in the league now unless you are a defensive monster like Gobert. It takes much more skill to be center or big man these days.
Centers back in the day would not make it past halftime without being worn out after chasing around the centers these days. How is that lazy? You could call the the centers back in the day, "lazy". Wilt Chamberlain sat on the block against 6'8" guys calling for the ball or waiting for the rebound, then he got a layup or dunked it. If AD was matched up against a 6'8" dude that couldn't jump...he would put up 50 a game.

Dude you are such homer for old school basketball. It's not easier to score, athletes MAKE IT LOOK easier to score.
Defense is absolutely lazy now days. You know.. trying to stop the offense/scoring? Lol. Look at the amount of teams last year that average over 100 vs when Shaq played. It’s not even close. 2000s isn’t old school b-ball and either is the 90s. 80s sure.

Not to mention the offenses mostly would rather pull up and shoot 3s instead of working the ball around and inside for higher % shot.

is what it is junior

“We’re not lazy, we just like to wait to play tighter D once we get to the 4th Q.”

— current NBA

I stopped watching the NBA when flopping and being scared to get dunked on became popular.

37 and 18.

tDiesel would own the boards. Easily setting career high in offensive boards and shooting percentage. He be over 65% today. Ain't nobody stopping his putback dunks. And who is banging on him in the first place?

And he wouldn't have to contest as many shots.

Shaq and James Harden would be sweet. Athletic Shaq, tDiesel, not Big Shaqtus.

It is easier to score in a lot of ways.

You can run with the ball now. Russ pulled some shit tonight that made me laugh.

O'Neal has more pressing issues at the moment. For example, owning a pizza chain where the main product doesn't taste like flavored cardboard.

I’m more willing to believe he would have outrageous rebound numbers than points. Sure, it’s softer today. But he would also be expected to do things like feed the inside/out to the perimeter more, and also develop more shooting range in today’s game.

He wouldn’t like the first one (kind of didn’t when Orlando became more of a perimeter team) and he would struggle developing a shot.

All that said....are we sure he was talking 60 points a night....or 60 women? As a young buck in Orlando there were always rumors of women lined up outside his mansion. A modern day Wilt he was.

“We’re not lazy, we just like to wait to play tighter D once we get to the 4th Q.”

— current NBA

"Every great old school player like MJ and Shaq would average 60 in this NBA" - SJ76Dipshit

Why? Bc it was MJ.

Nope, sorry...wrong again, like always. That's not how it works.

"Every great old school player like MJ and Shaq would average 60 in this NBA" - SJ76Dipshit

Why? Bc it was MJ.

Nope, sorry...wrong again, like always. That's not how it works.
You go Karen! Nevermind my first post on the thread says Shaq wouldn’t average 60 or even close. MJ wasn’t even mentioned.

How can you possibly be on your period so much?

shaq averaged 9/5 here at 38. he scored over 20, twice, and i got excited.

so....