I've done a few projects

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 38,280.00
I like to build things. I like it even better when people pay me lots of money to build things for them

I'll start this show off thread with a couple of pics of my most favorite bird house. It's been 25 years, maybe more so I don't remember the dimensions, but it's pretty freakin big. In the photos it is sitting on one of theso B&D fold up saw horse thingies and it is quite a bit bigger than the top.

DUMOULIN BIRDHOUSE 1989.jpg

That bad boy was commissioned by a couple that joked about having me build a "Purple Martin" birdhouse that would mimic their two story white colonial. I learned that the purple martins eat mosquitoes all day and that they are pretty particular about the houses they will take up residence in. It has to be multi-family (12 units in this one) and must be set on a pole 10 -15 off the ground in an area that is open.

A friend of mine and I spent way too much time on this thing considering I only charged them $200. We milled clapboards & corner boards from some scrap pine, made roofing and ridge caps from some 3 tabs we had laying around and used dowels for the porch railings.

Last edited:
Have you considered the West Coast designs?

1598033551617.png

I like to build things. I like it even better when people pay me lots of money to build things for them

I'll start this show off thread with a couple of pics of my most favorite bird house. It's be 25 years so I don't remember the dimensions, but it's pretty freakin big. In the photos it is sitting on one of theso B&D fold up saw horse thingies and it is quite a bit bigger than the top.

View attachment 471
This one isn't as elaborate as yours but it draws the birds...
1598033839868.png

I'll start this show off thread with a couple of pics of my most favorite bird house. It's be 25 years so I don't remember the dimensions, but it's pretty freakin big. In the photos it is sitting on one of theso B&D fold up saw horse thingies and it is quite a bit bigger than the top.

View attachment 471

That bad boy was commissioned by a couple that joked about having me build a "Purple Martin" birdhouse that would mimic their two story white colonial. I learned that the purple martins eat mosquitoes all day and that they are pretty particular about the houses they will take up residence in. It has to be multi-family (12 units in this one) and must be set on a pole 10 -15 off the ground in an area that is open.

A friend of mine and I spent way too much time on this thing considering I only charged them $200. We milled clapboards & corner boards from some scrap pine, made roofing and ridge caps from some 3 tabs we had laying around and used dowels for the porch railings.
and you make fun of me for putting shit in space?

i dont have a place to build shit at home, but i am in the midst of building another hydrostatic bench to crank my shit to 20K+ psi in my lab.

Attachments

• 20200714_121341_HDR.jpg
    20200714_121341_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
and you make fun of me for putting shit in space?
No, I make fun of you for licking shipping labels and pretending you put shit in space. :thumb:

Profit margin on those little camps is too small for a big dollar contractor like me. Go big or go home.

I made a really ornate one years ago for my brother in San Fran. It had window shutters, wood roof tiles I cut each...everything. He put it outside and said it was so rotten it fell off the wire 2 years later.

I won't do that again. Damn you southern yellow pine!

I made a really ornate one years ago for my brother in San Fran. It had window shutters, wood roof tiles I cut each...everything. He put it outside and said it was so rotten it fell off the wire 2 years later.

I won't do that again. Damn you southern yellow pine!
Yeah, I made sure the base was reinforced so that it would sit on the flange at the top of the pole and told the couple that if it didn't get painted every few years the siding would turn to shit in a hurry. I gave them the tail light guaranty. When you can't see my tail lights anymore, your guaranty is kaput.

damn, thats a fukin deck. that all composite?
1,200 sq ft Trex decking and railings and a reinforced vinyl pergola. The gazebo, bar and assorted furniture are all powder coated aluminum.
The frame is a beast.Landry Deck 018.jpg

I even framed and poured a 6" thick concrete slab (lower right) and shimmed the deck to it so the couple could drop a ginormous hot tub in that corner without worrying. Even ran and oversized PVC conduit from the house to make the electricians job easier if they ever decided to do it.

What's it look like now, 15 years later?
The deck looks great, but the couple I built if for don't live there anymore (he died suddenly at 59 & she sold ASAP) so the new owners took the pergola down. The color of Trex is Winchester Grey, but the stuff starts out looking more like a light chocolate brown. That was a fun day at the lumberyard when I showed up to check out the order of 7K worth of grey Trex and it's brown. I gotta admit that I freaked out for a few minutes until one of the owners told me it would fade in to it's color in 6 months or less depending on how much sun it got.