Jay Wright

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00

Mind Reaction GIF

Taking his talents to Crypto?

Retire? I didn't think he was that old?

So...does Villanova stay relevant or die like many other the basketball only type schools have once their big name coach left?

So...does Villanova stay relevant or die like many other the basketball only type schools have once their big name coach left?
its only a matter of time before that entire city burns to the ground

I think they'll still be very relevant. Massamino was very successful in his 2 decades at Nova( 5 E8's, a FF and a NC). So the precedent is there for a coach outside Wright to have alot of success. Jack Craft also had a good run in the 60's and early 70's. Lappas was a relative failure, but even he was able to string together some really good seasons in the mid 90's. Overall, they've been a really good program over their history. I would expect that to continue. The coach they are bringing in is pretty good IMO.

I think they'll still be very relevant. Massamino was very successful in his 2 decades at Nova( 5 E8's, a FF and a NC). So the precedent is there for a coach outside Wright to have alot of success. Jack Craft also had a good run in the 60's and early 70's. Lappas was a relative failure, but even he was able to string together some really good seasons in the mid 90's. Overall, they've been a really good program over their history. I would expect that to continue. The coach they are bringing in is pretty good IMO.

Well it's shocking. I personally found out from this thread. And then started to read the news.

Relevant is relative, but yea Nova has always been 'pretty good' and should continue to be that.

As far continuing at the level of the last 8 years, I'm not sure. I predict a step back, but we'll see. Very few programs can survive on name alone. Everybody knew Coach K was retiring and Duke went out and recruited the #1 class. But, only a handful of schools can do that.

Probably doesn't want to deal with NIL, transfer portal, and shit.
I think that's part of it.

It's more work to try and keep players on a 3-4 year continuity cycle with the new transfer portal.

And as soon as soon as they came up with the new rule, I knew that was bad news for the way Nova operates.

But I figured Wright would just hang on and do things his way. He'll never be fired. I think Bennett from UVA is doing that, he's just 'coaching'.

That's a long time ago. College Football's explosion gave more power and money to P5 schools. The only thing keeping several of the basketball only (or historically basketball) schools at or near the top was having an excellent coach. St. Johns died. Georgetown has rigor mortis. Jay Wright was excellent and kept Nova a powerhouse even as all their other contemporaries fell apart around them. It's possible they fade away into yesteryear. Or they can be on the UConn route where they are still respectable with signs of getting back.

That's a long time ago. College Football's explosion gave more power and money to P5 schools. The only thing keeping several of the basketball only (or historically basketball) schools at or near the top was having an excellent coach. St. Johns died. Georgetown has rigor mortis. Jay Wright was excellent and kept Nova a powerhouse even as all their other contemporaries fell apart around them. It's possible they fade away into yesteryear. Or they can be on the UConn route where they are still respectable with signs of getting back.

There's some truth to that, but I'm of the mind frame that if schools like St Johns and Gtown would have hired good coaches they wouldn't be where they're at. Craig Esherick was a disaster at Gtown taking over for John Thompson. JT3 had a really good run at Gtown before his last couple seasons. Ewing has been a disaster as well. St Johns is kind of in the same boat. After Jarvis, they just haven't hired the right coach. Meaning either not good enough or a bad fit(like Anderson now). I think the new Nova coach is a good hire, we'll find that out, but he did wonders at Fordham in his only season there.

But there definitely is some truth in what you're saying about the money aspect. Just look at what coaches in the SEC are getting paid, and what the BE coaches are getting paid. There's a huge gap. I think of a guy like Nate Oats who would have been a natural fit at St John's or Gtown giving where he came from, and it's basically impossible to hire him away from Bama at this point. Ewing is most likely going to get canned after this upcoming season. So they need to get it right with the next hire. Also, the BE had some great coaching hires this off-season with Miller going to X, Matta going to Butler and Halloway going to SH. That league is set up real nice outside the traditional powers like SJ and GT to be really competitive.

But even blue blood type of schools can go south in a hurry if they don't hire the right guy (UK and Gillespie, IU and Miller, UNC and Doherty, and I'm sure I'm missing some others).

Well it's shocking. I personally found out from this thread. And then started to read the news.

Relevant is relative, but yea Nova has always been 'pretty good' and should continue to be that.

As far continuing at the level of the last 8 years, I'm not sure. I predict a step back, but we'll see. Very few programs can survive on name alone. Everybody knew Coach K was retiring and Duke went out and recruited the #1 class. But, only a handful of schools can do that.

Yeah Nova is never going to become irrelevant. They have had success under many coaches. I do think unless they strike gold with this new guy that their status as a basically blue blood will fade.

BE most likely will no longer be "Nova and everyone else" but Nova will certainly alays been in the convo.

BE gotta perform now. Cant rely on Nova to carry the bulk of it. Luckily the conference has really stocked up on coaching at the Wright time(god im funny).

Gonna be very interesting. Good for Jay though. Went out on his terms off a FF. No goddamn victory lap. Gonna make bank in the studios.

They've got deep pockets and plenty of talent in the area. The next coach may not be as successful as Wright but I doubt Villanova basketball goes away