Joe Morgan is dead at 77

Losing a lot of HOFera this year. Joe has an argument for being the GOAT second baseman

He could be grating and arrogant at times. He definitely took a hardline, purist view of the game and was often haughty about it.
Not a good year for the HOF'ers

I don't remember Joe in his playing days, a little before my time. Obviously one of the greats. I was never a fan of his broadcasting

Imagine if this guy had played for the Yankees or Red Sox instead of Cinci.
Not sure if he would have had as great of a career. The Yanks were kind of hit and miss in the early-mid 70's and well, who the fuck would want to play for the Red Sox?

Ah....I remember him stopping in Philly for a cup of coffee in 1983. He was part of a pretty good team that year. Thought for sure those upstart Orioles wouldn’t take them.

Also enjoyed his broadcasts. A radical purist, yes. But I was raised by one so it was water off a ducks back for me.

Loved listening to him call baseball games with Jon Miller.
THIS.
they were so awesome together. Just fantastic voices, great insights. I watched some many games with them as a kid.

He could be grating and arrogant at times. He definitely took a hardline, purist view of the game and was often haughty about it.

It was pretty bad when he went on tirades about advanced stats (even though he was the type of player some of them loved!), but Morgan was great when he was breaking down the plays on the field.

Morgan's 5-year run from 72-76 is insane. .303/.431/.499, 163 OPS+, 310 stolen bases, 108 home runs, led NL in OBP 4x, 47.8 WAR (led NL four times, finished 2nd in 1974)