Kirby Smart "taking care of" his players

I'll say this everything in the article about Propst and Paul Bryant Jr are accurate in the article but all of it could have been sourced from documents in the public domain.

I think the most interesting piece of information that I've read is Propst claim there is a fund in Mobile that was set up in the 60s that Alabama uses to pay players. If they could ever prove that it would be the death penalty because that would literally be 50 years of cheating. If true I think people would end up dead (no joke) before that info came out.
My theory about why all this thing is mostly bunk is that there is no way it can be as widespread as some think because if so, someone at some type would come out and say something about it. Too many players get pissed and leave schools and have every reason, and the immaturity to rat out the school they left. But that rarely or never happens. Seriously, you telling me that thousands of players have been paid serious money over 50 years from Bama, and only a couple have decided to tell the truth or were found out? I just don't believe it. Again, hundred dollar handshake ... sure, all the time. Hundreds of thousands to dozens if not hundreds of players, no way. Especially with the laundering laws, and our new ecommerce society. It just can't happen at the level being discussed here.

Again, before you post ... I agree it happens, and I am confident that my school does it like everyone else. Just believe that it is exaggerated a lot because it's so easy to say that the good guys cheat, not that they are better recruiters, spend more legit money, have better facilities, better chance of getting you to the pros, good coaching staff, and of course it means more in the SEC.

Does anyone not think Saban and Smart and anyone else that wants to win are paying players?

I mean, how naive are people?
Do you not think that all teams are paying players? You seriously believe just UGA and Bama?

Grammar aside, he has a point.

Do you not think that all teams are paying players? You seriously believe just UGA and Bama?
Not all teams, no.

I 100% believe UGA and Bama do. Without question.

Lol, and I quote your post: I mean, how naive are people?
Do you want me to think UGA isn’t paying guys?

This isn’t Stanford or Northwestern we’re talking about here.

Do you want me to think UGA isn’t paying guys?

This isn’t Stanford or Northwestern we’re talking about here.
Did you not read my posts? You are naive because you only think a few teams are doing it when they all do it.

Did you not read my posts? You are naive because you only think a few teams are doing it when they all do it.
They all don’t. That’s ridiculous.

The ones trying to win a Natty are. Most schools are well aware those heights aren’t in the cards.

angry the big lebowski GIF

They all don’t. That’s ridiculous.

The ones trying to win a Natty are. Most schools are well aware those heights aren’t in the cards.
Like I said, and you were calling others naive. SMH

Too many players get pissed and leave schools and have every reason, and the immaturity to rat out the school they left. But that rarely or never happens.
That’s kinda what did SMU in. Disgruntled players who we’re gettin paid.

Then again a lot of players let it slip once they’re done playing. Posing with wads of cash, sure like they JUST got that money for the first time :rolleyes2:

That’s kinda what did SMU in. Disgruntled players who we’re gettin paid.

Then again a lot of players let it slip once they’re done playing. Posing with wads of cash, sure like they JUST got that money for the first time :rolleyes2:
You don’t know what you are talking about. SMU boosters pretty much did what they did in the open and told the NCAA to go fuck themselves. It was a “we are from Texas and you don’t tell us what to do” thing.

A lot of players don’t do what you said they do. Really, they don’t. And if it was thousands getting hundreds off thousands over 50 years, a lot more would have come forward. To date nine really have. If you disagree name them and point to the stories in the press.

Lets see all the articles with them posting with cash. That’s your argument?

You don’t know what you are talking about. SMU boosters pretty much did what they did in the open and told the NCAA to go fuck themselves. It was a “we are from Texas and you don’t tell us what to do” thing.

A lot of players don’t do what you said they do. Really, they don’t. And if it was thousands getting hundreds off thousands over 50 years, a lot more would have come forward. To date nine really have. If you disagree name them and point to the stories in the press.

Lets see all the articles with them posting with cash. That’s your argument?
Yeah. What you’re describing came after the fact. Who broke it at first were players not satisfied with their situation

Yeah. What you’re describing came after the fact. Who broke it at first were players not satisfied with their situation
I don't disagree that there was a payment scandal, as you have pointed out. The death penalty was a result to the FU attitudes of those in charge. I followed it closely at the time and it was amazingly brazen. Truly only something you would see in Texas.

As I have stated, there is no question that payments are made. My point has been simple and clear - the idea that this goes on at the massive scale that some are implying is overblown. It would have to be. Otherwise, we would have had dozens more SMU level scandals with slush funds etc. That's the ultimate demise of all conspiracy theories ... if they are so wide spread and involve so many people, especially immature ones with nothing to lose by stating the truth, you'd have all sorts of disgruntled athletes coming out of the woodworks complaining they got treated dirty while everyone else got paid more. Because that has never really happened on a scale that matter, the Occam's Razor conclusion has to be it just doesn't happen at the scale people are inferring here.

This is even more clear when you realize how much more difficult it is today to move the kinds of money around that is being discussed. With the drug laundering laws, and our electronic banking environment, the idea that hundreds of thousands of dollars per player is paid out regularly and often just can't happen. Again, we aren't talking hundred dollar handshakes ... those happen all the time, by everyone.

- Paying players has always happened, always will.

- Every team does it at some level ... there might be a few teams here or there that don't because the don't care, but the bulk do.

- It's naive to think that payment of money is the only reason that the top recruiting teams do so because they just pay more. Bama has dozens of reasons why kids want to go there that don't involve money. So do all the top schools.

- It's a lazy response when one's team loses a recruit. I've seen it often enough from the fans of my own team. There are reasons that a player simply would rather go to another school that doesn't involve getting paid. To hear UF fans, you'd think UF doesn't pay anything and UGA pays every player they recruit hundreds of thousands of dollars. The fact is that Smart is a really good recruiter and Mullen is an awkward dork who is a good game day coach.

Youre too close to this to be rational.
I'm not at all. I am being totally rational. I've admitted from my very first post, and in most every one thereafter, that I know all teams, including mine, pay players. You are the one that didn't read my posts to see that I said that. You are the one that is being naive in saying that only the top teams pay players. Me saying that all teams pay players simple acknowledges the reality of college sports and is something I've been saying/admitting since Vince Dooley bought Herschel Walker a Camaro in 1980. So my admissions about this predate the Propst BS by about 40 years. It is what it is and you are the only one in denial.

FWIW, nothing is going to happen here. Zero. because what he is claiming happened, didn't happen. UGA's compliance office is on it. We'll be fine, I assure you. We aren't that dumb to tell Rush Propst, one of the sleaziest high school coaches anything. Chubb? Nick Chubb ... LOL.