Lets talk Lawn Fertilizer and Weed Control spring 2024

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
You can't buy fertilizers with any 'P' (phosphorus) in it anymore (for root health) it's all like 34-0-10, unless you go to a 'starter' fertilizer, which is expensive.
And I'm not paying money for a fertilizer without it.

And it looks like they claim that this 'starter' fertilizer, which actually has phosphorus in it, covers 5000 square feet with 15 pounds of product.....I'm calling bullshit on that.

I have tried 'Weed and Feed' granular fertilizers with limited success (for the weed part) in the past, so now I only use liquid pre/post emergents. It's easier, just hook it up to the hose, it's quicker, it's cheaper, and it's given me much better results, so no more 'weed and feed' for me.

I would rather have a natural fertilizer vs synthetic, but for lawns, I'm ok with it.
Been thinking of going back to the Milorganite, but last time I bought it, it was $8 a bag and now it's $20

All the Bermuda is coming out fast and greening up, so it's time to think about a plan.
I have 3 yards I keep, so expense is a factor.

What is everyon's plan.?

whatever impacts nature in the least way

I would purposefully not mow big clover patches in my yard, as the bees seemed to like them and I like bees.
My yard-centric neighbor had to ask why I was letting the clover 'take over' my yard. I pointed to the many bees buzzing around on it.
Then I jumped on my environmental soapbox and educated him on why dumping chemicals on your yard makes it look real nice, but fucks up our local waterway...FUCK the JONESES AND THEIR YARD.
Minions Mic Drop GIF

I used Alfalfa pellets (horse feed) in the garden last year, with good success, and will use it again.
I have been trying to think of how to crush it up, so I can use it on the yard.

40 lb bag for $20..... best price there is, and is organic.

At Tractor Supply

1710172121132.png

When I figure out how to crush them and use them thru the fertilizer spreader, I'll let you know.
Not sure I want pellets just sitting on the ground so animals can eat it.

whatever impacts nature in the least way

I would purposefully not mow big clover patches in my yard, as the bees seemed to like them and I like bees.
My yard-centric neighbor had to ask why I was letting the clover 'take over' my yard. I pointed to the many bees buzzing around on it.
Then I jumped on my environmental soapbox and educated him on why dumping chemicals on your yard makes it look real nice, but fucks up our local waterway...FUCK the JONESES AND THEIR YARD.

Found It

Chicken Feed 16% Crumbles, Tractor Supply
That's the ticket for lawn fertilizer.

40 lb bag $12.99

1710175635164.png

As a former landscaper and long time homeowner I will tell ya when it comes to how good you want your lawn to look, you get what you pay for. I do all of my landscaping with the exception of lawncare. That I leave to a local company that I have worked with for years and its worth ever penny. They do 3 applications during the growing season.

You can't buy fertilizers with any 'P' (phosphorus) in it anymore (for root health) it's all like 34-0-10, unless you go to a 'starter' fertilizer, which is expensive.
And I'm not paying money for a fertilizer without it.

And it looks like they claim that this 'starter' fertilizer, which actually has phosphorus in it, covers 5000 square feet with 15 pounds of product.....I'm calling bullshit on that.

I have tried 'Weed and Feed' granular fertilizers with limited success (for the weed part) in the past, so now I only use liquid pre/post emergents. It's easier, just hook it up to the hose, it's quicker, it's cheaper, and it's given me much better results, so no more 'weed and feed' for me.

I would rather have a natural fertilizer vs synthetic, but for lawns, I'm ok with it.
Been thinking of going back to the Milorganite, but last time I bought it, it was $8 a bag and now it's $20

All the Bermuda is coming out fast and greening up, so it's time to think about a plan.
I have 3 yards I keep, so expense is a factor.

What is everyon's plan.?

Apply lime and gypsum to promote strong grass root development. Milorganite is great shit and it usually goes on sale locally this time 3 bags for $20. I usually get 9 bags and use it all year round.

I'm not much of a lawn nut, but I mow/maintain about 7 of my 25 acres.
Around the house and outbuildings, the corral, and around my 3 acre pond.
I don't fertilize.

My go to is Amine 400 2, 4-D (concentrate) with a 30 gallon skid sprayer for broadleaf weeds.

However, it doesn't kill crabgrass or water-grasses so I have been struggling with those. The water-grass gums up my 60" mower deck and it comes out of the chute in globs. Apparently I need a 'Preventer' put down in early spring to control that stuff. Just need to find something that's effective. My last two years attempts were failures and I've pissed away about $800 worth of chemical to no avail. Come July/August I'm slowly mowing through that shit in spots.

This is what I use for broadleaf like dandelion, clover, curly-dock, thistle, etc..

1710181348412.png

1710181366057.png

As a former landscaper and long time homeowner I will tell ya when it comes to how good you want your lawn to look, you get what you pay for. I do all of my landscaping with the exception of lawncare. That I leave to a local company that I have worked with for years and its worth ever penny. They do 3 applications during the growing season.

Yeah, this is where I’m at. For 30+ years. I’ve tried to take care of my own yard fertilizer and pre-emergent. I spent a fortune at Lowe’s or Home Depot buying the stuff with horrible results. The same weeds every spring, my grass would not green up as quickly as my neighbors. I finally had a customer that’s in the lawn care business. He just moved into my neighborhood and for less than $40 a month I get great results no more spring weeds, my grass grows so well, that I have to cut it every four days. He also applies pesticide two times a year to take care of any type of grub or army worm.

Even $38 a month, I’m still saving a fortune over what I was paying at the box stores to apply myself

I used Alfalfa pellets (horse feed) in the garden last year, with good success, and will use it again.
I have been trying to think of how to crush it up, so I can use it on the yard.

40 lb bag for $20..... best price there is, and is organic.

At Tractor Supply

View attachment 117132

When I figure out how to crush them and use them thru the fertilizer spreader, I'll let you know.
Not sure I want pellets just sitting on the ground so animals can eat it.

How hard are they? I would think a decent sized blender/food processor could work. Maybe use it on the pulse setting to get the desired size you want instead of going with the blend setting (unless you want dust). Could take some time with a 40lb bag but if you got the time, it might work

How hard are they? I would think a decent sized blender/food processor could work. Maybe use it on the pulse setting to get the desired size you want instead of going with the blend setting (unless you want dust). Could take some time with a 40lb bag but if you got the time, it might work
I was wondering how I was going to do that too. Especially 120 lbs of it.
Found Chicken feed crumbles that should work right out of the bag, so that's what Im going to try.

I have a membership with the company Sunday. I dunno, seems to work pretty well for me. Every few months they send me shit to spray on my lawn, and it looks pretty decent. Award-winning? No, but that's okay.

The clover I let grow for the most part. I'll rake out some if it gets too thick. Dandelions get to flower and then get removed before they seed. I've done weed and feed with little success. Liquid 2-4d curls the clover but it'll come back. So stopped using chemicals about 5 years ago.

We started keeping bees last year and they love the weeds.....so I have an excuse now.