New headset recommendations

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,167.00
Now that I'm pumped about my Xbox X preorder, looking to upgrade my headset to an actual headset and not just the dumb chat headset that came with the XB one. Right now I'm using my 7.1 surround to play the game audio but I'd like to get an all in one headset so I don't have to blast everyone in the house and can tune out the screaming kids in the background lol. I've been kind of blind to the world of headsets so I really have no idea what I should get. I hear people talk about turtle beach a lot but my suspicion, like many things, is that there are better alternatives out there for similar or cheaper prices and that TB makes money on their brand recognition.

I'd prefer wireless unless there's some strong reason not to. Seems like eve just the wired chat ones drain the crap out of my controller batteries.

These seem nice, though out of stock. I like how the chat part folds in out of the way when you're not using it.

Now that I'm pumped about my Xbox X preorder, looking to upgrade my headset to an actual headset and not just the dumb chat headset that came with the XB one. Right now I'm using my 7.1 surround to play the game audio but I'd like to get an all in one headset so I don't have to blast everyone in the house and can tune out the screaming kids in the background lol. I've been kind of blind to the world of headsets so I really have no idea what I should get. I hear people talk about turtle beach a lot but my suspicion, like many things, is that there are better alternatives out there for similar or cheaper prices and that TB makes money on their brand recognition.

I'd prefer wireless unless there's some strong reason not to. Seems like eve just the wired chat ones drain the crap out of my controller batteries.

These seem nice, though out of stock. I like how the chat part folds in out of the way when you're not using it.
Turtle beach has slipped in my books (i have been a turtle beach guy forever all but my very first ones on the 360 still work too) I have a 600 stealth 700 stealth 420 stealth (better than both the 600 and 700 but oldest) (also still have XP500, and X41 but those were 360 though i did solder bluetooth into the puck for the x1 for wireless but it was meh) my fav is my Astro A50's (not cheap but mmmmmmmmmmmmm so much better)

Why are the 420 stealth and the astro a50's better? sound quality signal strength all are 100% wireless audio/chat but the 600 and 700's use microsofts proprietary wireless signal and there are drops and quality issues by comparison to the 2.4ghz used in the dongle variety and base station variety.

my 2 cents but i have had

If you are looking on the cheaper end there was one that made a dongle but they were newer and some reviews questioned build quality (but to be fair people are retarded with headphones and break them regardless of build quality)

(obviously i went with the more expensive A50's here are some cheaper ones that made the list)
When i was looking to get a new headset the short list was:

Kingston HyperX CloudX Flight Wireless Gaming Headset​

Kingston Hyper X Flight

Steel Series Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox​

LucidSound LS50X Wireless Bluetooth Gaming Headset for Xbox​

Here is a list of Microsofts Store front for headsets

I have the SteelSeries Arctis Pro for PC and it's been great.

Turtle beach has slipped in my books (i have been a turtle beach guy forever all but my very first ones on the 360 still work too) I have a 600 stealth 700 stealth 420 stealth (better than both the 600 and 700 but oldest) (also still have XP500, and X41 but those were 360 though i did solder bluetooth into the puck for the x1 for wireless but it was meh) my fav is my Astro A50's (not cheap but mmmmmmmmmmmmm so much better)

Why are the 420 stealth and the astro a50's better? sound quality signal strength all are 100% wireless audio/chat but the 600 and 700's use microsofts proprietary wireless signal and there are drops and quality issues by comparison to the 2.4ghz used in the dongle variety and base station variety.

my 2 cents but i have had
This gen 2 seems really interesting, after I've done more research. It seems like this specific set they just released is a pretty good intermediate between cheaper sets under $100 and the high end stuff. Honestly, I don't think I could ever justify a $250 set of headphones because my kids would for sure find them and break them. I've been watching reviews and the basic conclusion seems to be that there are better headphones with the best features - all around $250. But to quote one review I saw on YouTube, "for a gamer at $150 it's really hard to recommend alternatives to this".

So I think I've sold myself lol. I also like that I can fold the mic away and use them as normal bluetooth headphones for plane trips and such.

This gen 2 seems really interesting, after I've done more research. It seems like this specific set they just released is a pretty good intermediate between cheaper sets under $100 and the high end stuff. Honestly, I don't think I could ever justify a $250 set of headphones because my kids would for sure find them and break them. I've been watching reviews and the basic conclusion seems to be that there are better headphones with the best features - all around $250. But to quote one review I saw on YouTube, "for a gamer at $150 it's really hard to recommend alternatives to this".

So I think I've sold myself lol. I also like that I can fold the mic away and use them as normal bluetooth headphones for plane trips and such.
Yeah I mean they are not terrible my wife games with the 700s I'm just not a fan personally (especially if budget is not a concern)

Update, decided. Just ordered the TB stealth 700's gen 2 that just came out. We'll see how they function in a couple days.

Update, decided. Just ordered the TB stealth 700's gen 2 that just came out. We'll see how they function in a couple days.
From what i read they are functionally the exact same. Some slight comfort upgrades (ear cup foam changed to memory foam and gel?) an upgraded charging port (micro to usb-c) longer battery life, but aside from that it is the same headset in how it will sound/perform.

From what i read they are functionally the exact same. Some slight comfort upgrades (ear cup foam changed to memory foam and gel?) an upgraded charging port (micro to usb-c) longer battery life, but aside from that it is the same headset in how it will sound/perform.
I like that I can use them functionally as normal bluetooth headphones, like if I go on an airplane, without having a mic weirdly dangling off.

I like that I can use them functionally as normal bluetooth headphones, like if I go on an airplane, without having a mic weirdly dangling off.
Yea they have been like that the gen 1 600 and 700's both flip up (older TB you could remove the mic completely )

K. Got the headset last Tuesday and used it for a few days. Decided I'm returning it. Not necessarily because of the specific unit but some actual in-use things I don't really like. So I'm going to return it and stick with the chat headset + surround system.

1. I have screaming kids around. So to mute and unmute I have to manually flip the mic up and down. On the normal chat headset I have a mute button right by my thumb. The actually headset did help remove the sound of the screaming kids but made it really hard to actually chat people and play the game without blasting others with the sound of screaming kids.

2. On the normal xbox chat headset the chat sound comes through the one earpiece and the game sound comes from my speaker system. If I want to quickly get rid of game chat I can remove the headset. Especially helpful in tense situations. I didn't quite realize how much I wouldn't like the game sound and the chat sound mixed through the headset. If you get a bunch of idiots talking it's super distracting and the only way to get rid of it is by trying to quickly spin the chat volume button.

3. I actually found that with the headset on I have way worse directional perception compared to my 7.1 surround system. Even with the "superhuman" on I had trouble gauging where things were. I especially didn't like this. Many time I could hear someone around but not figure out what direction they were in. This was actually the biggest let down as I thought, since the sound was closer and crisper in my ear, that I'd hear people better. Definitely not the case.

I did like the actual headset. The 700 was really comfortable. I liked teh position of the mic. I liked that it folded up. I liked that it connected to both my phone and the xbox at the same time so when I was in a break (gulag) I could watch stuff online and hear it.