Series Thread New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Conference Finals)

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 3,664.00
Couple keys for the Lightning:
-Must stay patient. I think playing Columbus earlier helps since they clogged things up. They can’t force things against the Islanders. It’s going to be tough to get offense going at times, can’t get frustrated by that. They feel more “blue collar” than previous years and haven’t tried to be as fancy in the offensive zone.
-Second line has to produce. Point’s line has been great all postseason and the third line has been very good. Cirelli’s line with Killorn and Johnson has been below average. Boston and Columbus were essentially one line teams so it didn’t burn them but the Isles are getting contributions from everyone. They have to be a lot better this round.

Couple keys for the Lightning:
-Must stay patient. I think playing Columbus earlier helps since they clogged things up. They can’t force things against the Islanders. It’s going to be tough to get offense going at times, can’t get frustrated by that. They feel more “blue collar” than previous years and haven’t tried to be as fancy in the offensive zone.
-Second line has to produce. Point’s line has been great all postseason and the third line has been very good. Cirelli’s line with Killorn and Johnson has been below average. Boston and Columbus were essentially one line teams so it didn’t burn them but the Isles are getting contributions from everyone. They have to be a lot better this round.
I would add another key, and it’s obvious but the power play must produce. Teams like the Isles do not give up chances five on five!

I would add another key, and it’s obvious but the power play must produce. Teams like the Isles do not give up chances five on five!
Special teams are always important. Lightning have been ok there so far but obviously will need a few big goals there in the series. The ones I listed are just two things that stick out to me in particular.

Special teams are always important. Lightning have been ok there so far but obviously will need a few big goals there in the series. The ones I listed are just two things that stick out to me in particular.
i know, and your first point is the most important thing. Tampa is a team that can get frustrated when things don’t go their way.

i know, and your first point is the most important thing. Tampa is a team that can get frustrated when things don’t go their way.
I think they used to be that way, but this season they are certainly less so than previous years. There were times where Columbus was frustrating the shit out of them in the first round; last year and further back they'd get dumb and take stupid penalties, keep trying to score when they just needed to protect the lead. This year they are playing more disciplined, not taking stupid penalties (still too many IMO but not the same kind) and playing better defense.

Their trade deadline guys are playing well and influencing the team in the right ways. Even Bogosian, who I thought would be a liability, has been effective.

I think they used to be that way, but this season they are certainly less so than previous years. There were times where Columbus was frustrating the shit out of them in the first round; last year and further back they'd get dumb and take stupid penalties, keep trying to score when they just needed to protect the lead. This year they are playing more disciplined, not taking stupid penalties (still too many IMO but not the same kind) and playing better defense.

Their trade deadline guys are playing well and influencing the team in the right ways. Even Bogosian, who I thought would be a liability, has been effective.
The third line of Gourde, Coleman and the other guy are also a huge matchup issue for the other teams. When you get a plus one or more every night from your third line you are in business.

The third line of Gourde, Coleman and the other guy are also a huge matchup issue for the other teams. When you get a plus one or more every night from your third line you are in business.
Yeah Gourde/Coleman/Goodrow have been excellent.

Johnson hasn't been great but I don't think you're giving Cirelli and Killorn enough credit, they have both been everywhere on the ice. The goals aren't really coming for them but they are playing great defense and Cirelli has been doing a great job taking up space in front of the goalie. I'd say he's responsible for at least 3 goals where he deflected or obscured the goalie's vision.

Tampa's also getting production up and down the lineup. Palat and Hedman are of course on fire, but Coleman is playing great too, Goodrow too. I think Kucherov has underperformed pretty significantly in both series, they played three games without McDonagh, and of course no Stamkos. I would say they have played better than I expected, the Isles are a whole other story than the other two teams, they are the hottest team in the playoffs, but I don't see the Bolts making the same mistakes they have in previous years.

Tampa is like the caps from a few years ago, it’s their time.

I think I will lose my shit if the isles start varlamov tomorrow

Pretty atrocious flop by Gourde

But that was ridiculous by Point!

Islanders are very boring tonight.

Tampa Bay is very exciting.

Absolute joke on the penalty/misconduct on Sergechev. These refs shouldnt see another game these playoffs.

The lightning didn’t miss the net once with a shot. Every shot either blocked or on goal. That’s insane.

Man that first line for TB is so good right now!

If Tampa plays that well this will be a sweep. Hope the Isles work on some semblance of a game plan for Wednesday. Having both goalies get shelled isn’t great either, so I’ve got idea who they go with in game 2.

The lightning didn’t miss the net once with a shot. Every shot either blocked or on goal. That’s insane.
that’s talent!

Only negative last night for the Lightning was the top many penalties. Kuch and Point were unreal, they just have insane chemistry. Obviously being more rested and getting to Edmonton earlier helped a ton. I expect the Isles to be a lot better the rest of the series. Everything that could go wrong went wrong for them tonight. I do like that their top guys were frustrated and both goalies gave up 3+ goals. Hopefully they lose some confidence.