One major, yet easy fix to Soccer

I think the best option to decide which is a better team at a given sport is for those teams to play that sport until one team wins. I see that it would be hard on the players, but they get paid a shitload to play a game. Play it.
Well yeah, that's true. But I doubt any league is going to want to run players into the ground every other game. It's going to affect the product when the teams have to turn around and play again in a few days.
That said, if they go to a shoot out (which is quite a bit different than coin flips), it might be an awful way to decided the better team, but it's a shitton better than not deciding.
It's different than a coin flip in that a perfect shot isn't going to be stopped by a keeper. But if it's not a perfect shot it just becomes a guessing game of what way for the keeper to dive. Really, I wish they would just play until somebody wins if the game is deciding a championship of any kind. But for everything else what they do now works fine.

I've never been the slightest bit interested in soccer. Ever.

However...

Once upon a time I did have a mentality of "if they would just change this and that about [insert sport or league here] I might like it more". Then I got older and wiser and realized that I don't have to try to like every sport. If what a sport or league does now doesn't appeal to me as it stands, move on to something that does appeal to me and let them do them.

NHL got smart and ended draws several years ago.

That's when I stopped watching after regulation. Stupid shootouts.

Tie's are AOK by me.

Especially if changing it is just to appease some Johnny Come Lately Yanks.

Last edited:
Let's have a 3 point contest to decide NBA games that go past 1 OT period.

And for baseball, a home run hitting contest if it goes past 10 innings tied.

Might as well be artificial in all sports.

One thing about soccer, teams don't move. You root for a team outside the USA (they are there forever). None of the bullshit here where teams hold cities hostage or else move. When they tried the Super League, fans ganged up in unison, didn't care who you rooted for. More loayalty to tradition. Here a team moves, no one cares. You could be next.....then you will care.

NFL OT is a pile of shit. Coin flip could decide everything. College football has the perfect OT if you are talking overtimes.

NHL OT would be better if they play 4 on 4 for 2 minutes, 3 on 3 for 2 minutes, 2 on 2 for 2 minutes, 1 on 1 for 2 minutes. You would get a goal then without needed a shootout.

It’s basically just watching a bunch of foreign dudes run around aimlessly for two hours. I can go to park and see that.
Baseball is the biggest flaw. You may only see a star player bat 3 or 4 times a game. 10 minutes of time, he is useful, rest of the time he is on dugout nibling on sunflower seeds. Boring.

drumming slow motion GIF
Paradiddle?

Paradiddle?
Possibly. It was my best effort at the moment to equate a gif to the “Ba dum bum cha” sound. I was multi tasking at that moment.

Here’s a much better example ……
rimshot GIF

NFL OT is a pile of shit. Coin flip could decide everything. College football has the perfect OT if you are talking overtimes.

NHL OT would be better if they play 4 on 4 for 2 minutes, 3 on 3 for 2 minutes, 2 on 2 for 2 minutes, 1 on 1 for 2 minutes. You would get a goal then without needed a shootout.

NHL is still gimmicky to me.

Nothing wrong with a tie in the regular season. It's the regular season. .

In the playoffs, you play till somebody scores. Those 3-4-5 OT period games are legendary.

NHL got smart and ended draws several years ago.
I'm a lifelong hockey fan and I think the shootout is an abomination. An individual skills competition shouldn't be used to decide a team game. I'd rather the NHL go back to ties than do that.

I really didn't mind ties in the regular season. If two teams were that evenly matched, I'm fine with them splitting the points.

The continuous OT in the NHL playoffs is IMO the greatest thing in sports, but I don't want that in the regular season either. 82 games of that possibility is too much of a grind on the players -- I wanna save their health and energy to make for the best playoffs possible

NHL is still gimmicky to me.

Nothing wrong with a tie in the regular season. It's the regular season. .

In the playoffs, you play till somebody scores. Those 3-4-5 OT period games are legendary.
Speaking of which Pat LaFontaine can eat a bag of dicks

I'm a lifelong hockey fan and I think the shootout is an abomination. An individual skills competition shouldn't be used to decide a team game. I'd rather the NHL go back to ties than do that.

I really didn't mind ties in the regular season. If two teams were that evenly matched, I'm fine with them splitting the points.

The continuous OT in the NHL playoffs is IMO the greatest thing in sports, but I don't want that in the regular season either. 82 games of that possibility is too much of a grind on the players -- I wanna save their health and energy to make for the best playoffs possible
Well said. Very comparable to soccer. And I feel like you highlighted a comparative point that others don’t think about.

In any soccer that’s not a knockout you get three points in the standings if you win…..one point if you tie. It creates a lot of strategy. Do you need the two extra points? Will a draw suffice for your team?

From all of that a 0-0 game in the 70th minute can get ultra interesting, if you know what each team is trying to do.