PAC12 Basketball

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 515.00
Hearing from my sources: Harrison Ingram to Stanford soon

Top 2021 Commits in the PAC 12 (Using the 247 composite rankings)

#11 Harrison Ingram 6-7 (Stanford)
#17 Nate Bittle 6-11 (Oregon)
#18 Peyton Watson 6-7 (UCLA)
#27 Franck Kepnang 6-11 (Oregon)
#34 Isael Silva (Stanford)
#38 Will McClendon (UCLA)
#51 Reese Dixon-Waters 6-5 (USC)
#67 Jackson Grant 6-9 (Washington)
#72 Quincy Allen 6-7 (Colorado)
#83 Malik Thomas 6-3 (USC)
#97 Lawson Lovering 7-0 (Colorado)
#115 KJ Simpson 6-2 (Arizona)
#134 Jonathan Lawson 6-6 (Oregon)
#167 Harrison Hornery 6-9 (USC)
#180 Demari Williams 6-6 (Arizona State)
#229 Kobe Johnson 6-5 (USC)
#287 William Felton 6-8 (Arizona State)

Doesn't include JUCOs, transfers or unranked players

Are any of the Ducks 2021 recruits going to early enroll? I'm pretty sure Oregon has a few schollies open this year

Are any of the Ducks 2021 recruits going to early enroll? I'm pretty sure Oregon has a few schollies open this year

Kepnang may enroll for the winter term

Kepnang may enroll for the winter term

Kepnang is on campus and will enroll for the winter term. I'm not sure how quickly they get him in the rotation but the Ducks need some depth, especially in the interior. Figueroa being granted his eligibility was great for Oregon. Now we are just waiting for Will Richardson to get healthy.

Oregon's conference opener is today in Seattle. UW hasn't looked good this year but the Ducks still have some PG issues without Richardson. We'll see how this goes

Arizona self imposes postseason ban for 2021. They weren't a sure bet to make the tournament, but I probably would have put it at 60/40, so a potential extra at large bid will be out there on top of the extra bid with no ivy league bid this year.

12/29 ESPN's Bracketology for the PAC

Oregon (5 seed)
Colorado (7 seed)
UCLA (9 seed)
Stanford (10 seed)
USC (11 seed)
Arizona (Next 4 out) - Has since imposed a postseason ban on themselves

Once Oregon gets Richardson back, this could be a scary team.

Once Oregon gets Richardson back, this could be a scary team.

Without Dante, I’m not sure they have enough interior defense to make a serious run in the NCAAs

Without Dante, I’m not sure they have enough interior defense to make a serious run in the NCAAs

I was expecting Kepnang yesterday, but didn't see him. What's the deal?

I was expecting Kepnang yesterday, but didn't see him. What's the deal?

It’s hard for someone to join in December and just throw them in during conference play. I doubt we see him much this year

Fricking Arizona State are chicken shit, they scared of our undefeated team so makes up some bogus excuse to get out of it.

Early thoughts about the PAC 12:

Oregon, Colorado, USC and Arizona have been the best teams early on. I think it's extremely likely that one of those 4 teams will win the PAC but I wouldn't expect any of them to run away with it. Oregon, CU and USC should easily make the tournament (With Zona on probation).

- USC probably has the best combo of size and athleticism but they aren't efficient enough offensively yet.
- Oregon lacks a true 5 without Dante but they are very long and athletic and will be a problem with Richardson back.
- Ted Boyle is the most underrated coach in the country. Buffs are always put in a good position with him. Wright is one of the best guards in the PAC 12.
- Arizona doesn't have the kind of talent they had before the NCAA investigations but it's still a very solid team and Miller, despite all the shit I like to give him, it still a solid coach.

UCLA and Stanford are bubble teams right now IMO. Both of them have the talent to improve and make the tournament with ease. Stanford has to find a way to improve offensively and UCLA has to improve defensively. It's weird saying that for a Mick Cronin coached team but that makes me believe it will get turned around before it's too late.

Arizona State has squandered more talent than anyone in America. They play selfish basketball and play little defense. The talent is there for them to play spoiler or turn it around. We'll see what Hurley can do.

Washington State has a very nice record but it has largely been against a weak schedule. Kyle Smith is a great coach and I think he will put Wazzu in the best position he can but their roster doesn't belong with the top half of the league.

Utah is always well coached but they are going to finish in the bottom half of the league, possibly closer to the middle.

OSU, Cal and UW are all struggling to find consistency. UW is probably going to be looking for a new coach for 2021-2022

PAC Games today (1/7)

#17 Oregon at Colorado - 2:00 PST on FS1 - Two of the top tier teams in the PAC. Oregon enters 3-0 in PAC 12 play while the Buffs are 1-2 (vs. a much more difficult schedule). If CU wants to remain in striking distance of first place in the PAC, this feels like a must win. Boulder has always been a tricky place for the Ducks. Oregon has lost all 7 games in Boulder since CU joined the PAC 12 and Oregon has had some good teams over that stretch.

Washington at Stanford - 6:00 PST on FS1 - Stanford looks to get another PAC 12 win against a struggling Washington team. Huskies are still looking for their first PAC 12 win on the season. As a bubble team, this is not a loss that Stanford can afford.

USC at Arizona - 6:00 PST on ESPN2 - Arizona is 3-1 in conference play while USC is 1-1. Both are in contention for the regular season title, although Arizona is ineligible for postseason play. This should be a very entertaining, competitive game. I look forward to this one.

Washington State at California - 7:00 PST on PAC 12 Network - Washington State is off to an 8-1 start and they need to keep winning to have people keep believing in them. Cal enters the game at 0-4 in conference but this is a golden opportunity to get their first conference win.

UCLA at Arizona State - 7:30 PST on ESPN - Both teams have had problems defensively this year but there's going to be a lot of talent on the court and there should be a lot of offense. Since both teams underachieved in the OOC, they both need to look really impressive in conference play in order to make the tournament. UCLA is currently 3-0 in conference play and Arizona State is 1-0.

Early thoughts about the PAC 12:

Oregon, Colorado, USC and Arizona have been the best teams early on. I think it's extremely likely that one of those 4 teams will win the PAC but I wouldn't expect any of them to run away with it. Oregon, CU and USC should easily make the tournament (With Zona on probation).

- USC probably has the best combo of size and athleticism but they aren't efficient enough offensively yet.
- Oregon lacks a true 5 without Dante but they are very long and athletic and will be a problem with Richardson back.
- Ted Boyle is the most underrated coach in the country. Buffs are always put in a good position with him. Wright is one of the best guards in the PAC 12.
- Arizona doesn't have the kind of talent they had before the NCAA investigations but it's still a very solid team and Miller, despite all the shit I like to give him, it still a solid coach.

UCLA and Stanford are bubble teams right now IMO. Both of them have the talent to improve and make the tournament with ease. Stanford has to find a way to improve offensively and UCLA has to improve defensively. It's weird saying that for a Mick Cronin coached team but that makes me believe it will get turned around before it's too late.

Arizona State has squandered more talent than anyone in America. They play selfish basketball and play little defense. The talent is there for them to play spoiler or turn it around. We'll see what Hurley can do.

Washington State has a very nice record but it has largely been against a weak schedule. Kyle Smith is a great coach and I think he will put Wazzu in the best position he can but their roster doesn't belong with the top half of the league.

Utah is always well coached but they are going to finish in the bottom half of the league, possibly closer to the middle.

OSU, Cal and UW are all struggling to find consistency. UW is probably going to be looking for a new coach for 2021-2022
The referees in the Zona-WSU should be fired. An utter embarrassment from confidence who’s officiating is always an embarrassment.

UCLA won the weekend with a road sweep over Arizona State and Arizona. Huge weekend for the Bruins and they've clearly taken themselves off the bubble for now. This looks more like the UCLA team that people picked to potentially win the league.

UCLA 5-0
Oregon 4-1
Stanford 4-1
USC 3-1
Arizona 3-3
Washington State 2-2
Colorado 2-2
Arizona State 1-2
Oregon State 1-2
Utah 1-3
California 1-5
Washington 0-5

KemPom's rankings through 1/10:

1. USC (17th nationally)
2. Oregon (19th nationally)
3. Colorado (20th nationally)
4. UCLA (28th nationally)
5. Stanford (36th nationally)
6. Arizona (41st nationally)
7. Arizona State (63rd nationally)
8. Utah (69th nationally)
9. Washington State (122nd nationally)
10. Oregon State (136th nationally)
11. Washington (141st nationally)
12. California (147th nationally)

After a big PAC 12 weekend, Colorado plays Utah tonight. Huge game for the Buffs as they look to get back in the PAC 12 race. Utah is a better team than their record suggests. They lost to UCLA by 2 on the road and led Oregon by 10 before coming up short in the 2nd half. Larry K is going to have his team ready to play.

Utah blows another double digit halftime lead against CU. Brutal lost for the Utes but a very important win for Colorado.