Podcast Apps

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
Which is the best? They all have issues it seems.

Apple Podcasts doesn't update their feeds regularly.
Spotify censors the content they allow to be posted.

Used to use podcast addict, but since going Iphone I haven't touched it.

What do?

Pocket Casts

Android phone user here

Apple’s app is weirdly not great (weirdly because they kinda started the thing, and it seems like something they’d make sure is the best option).

But I also haven’t found anything better.

Apple’s app is weirdly not great (weirdly because they kinda started the thing, and it seems like something they’d make sure is the best option).

I preferred Apples app before the last big UI update to try and push “subscriptions”. It got clunkier and some episodes don’t update for 12+ hours after being posted, which is why I have Spotify a spin.

I get the point on not wanting to support and use a platform that has censored some pods before. I’ve felt Spotify has been solid for what pods I use it for myself.

I’ve also used Sticher in the past, but it’s been a while and I can not totally vouch for them now. I never had any complaints about it when I have used it.

I preferred Apples app before the last big UI update to try and push “subscriptions”. It got clunkier and some episodes don’t update for 12+ hours after being posted, which is why I have Spotify a spin.
If I paid for spotify I’d probably use it. I used it a bit for podcasts when I was paying for it, but I found navigating to podcasts, and then navigating within the podcast section to be worse than the Apple app, especially when I’m not using it for music too. Also, they didn’t even carry all the podcasts I wanted.

Apple loves to put something out and then wait a really long time to update it. I honestly think their model is to create a new idea, let competitors figure out what people want, and then perfect the UI of the best the competition has. Kinda genius to let others do your beta testing.

Does the Apple Music subscription help open more podcasts up? I am not sure I have ever listened to a single one, but people keep telling me ones that they think I'd enjoy.

"How to be an ass online" would be a good one. "Drunk hoopla plorsting" too.

Apple loves to put something out and then wait a really long time to update it. I honestly think their model is to create a new idea, let competitors figure out what people want, and then perfect the UI of the best the competition has. Kinda genius to let others do your beta testing.
Yeah, but the podcast app is old, they’ve had plenty of time to figure that one out, seems like they’ve made it worse with time if anything.

Does the Apple Music subscription help open more podcasts up? I am not sure I have ever listened to a single one, but people keep telling me ones that they think I'd enjoy.

"How to be an ass online" would be a good one. "Drunk hoopla plorsting" too.
I don’t think so. I’ve always had an Apple Music subscription though so I guess I wouldn’t really know if less is available without one.

Podcasts are typically free though unless they have their own subscription set up through their own site, you can’t access bonus material they don’t put on there, so if they have that for a subscription you have to get it directly from the producer/publisher through their own platform.

if that makes sense…

alright, old man fordman is going to figure out 1) where the podcast app is on my phone and 2) try to find one to listen to. Wonder if I can figure out this, and how to post videos to Facebook, on my own. Seems like something a VP of a tech org should be able to do. :dhd:

I don’t think so. I’ve always had an Apple Music subscription though so I guess I wouldn’t really know if less is available without one.

Podcasts are typically free though unless they have their own subscription set up through their own site, you can’t access bonus material they don’t put on there, so if they have that for a subscription you have to get it directly from the producer/publisher through their own platform.

if that makes sense…
Yup, makes sense to me so far.

if that makes sense…
Apple has “subscriptions” for a very small number of podcasts now. I’ve seen a couple networks throw their content on Apple behind the paywall. This content is unavailable on Spotify or others (like Patreon). It’s also independent of an Apple Music subscription.

Then there are shows that are free, but Spotify exclusive(like Bro Rogan and others). So you need to use Spotify to listen to them.

It’s becoming fucking dumb like TV where content is just getting segregated across platforms.

Apple has “subscriptions” for a very small number of podcasts now. I’ve seen a couple networks throw their content on Apple behind the paywall. This content is unavailable on Spotify or others (like Patreon). It’s also independent of an Apple Music subscription.

Then there are shows that are free, but Spotify exclusive(like Bro Rogan and others). So you need to use Spotify to listen to them.

It’s becoming fucking dumb like TV where content is just getting segregated across platforms.
I haven’t noticed the subscriptions on Apple yet. Yeah, that’s fucking dumb, I don’t care about podcasts nearly enough to start figuring out subscriptions and which ones I want. Fuck all that…

I’ll just listen to audiobooks and music once it gets bad enough.