R.I.P. Tony Esposito

I've always thought that Tony is quite underrated. It always feels weird saying that about a HoFer but I still think it's true.

Another hockey great from my childhood passes on, Bummer.

I've always thought that Tony is quite underrated. It always feels weird saying that about a HoFer but I still think it's true.

It was funny because in 1972 he actually had a better record against the Soviets but Harry Sinden still chose Ken Dryden over Esposito for Game #8.

The fact he never won any particular big one also detracts from his status.

15 shoutouts in what was basically his rookie season.

Couldn't beat Montreal in the playoffs when it mattered though.

The goal he let in leading 2-0 in Game 7 will haunt his memory. 1'25" of this clip

It was funny because in 1972 he actually had a better record against the Soviets but Harry Sinden still chose Ken Dryden over Esposito for Game #8.

The fact he never won any particular big one also detracts from his status.

15 shoutouts in what was basically his rookie season.

Couldn't beat Montreal in the playoffs when it mattered though.

The goal he let in leading 2-0 in Game 7 will haunt his memory. 1'25" of this clip

Honestly when I rewatched that entire series when the big DVD set came out I thought that Tretiak outplaying Dryden was pretty much the entire reason that the series was so close. Tony probably didn't play quite as well as Tretiak but I definitely thought that he was the better of the Canadian goalies in that series.

Honestly when I rewatched that entire series when the big DVD set came out I thought that Tretiak outplaying Dryden was pretty much the entire reason that the series was so close. Tony probably didn't play quite as well as Tretiak but I definitely thought that he was the better of the Canadian goalies in that series.

I watched it live and I was a big Chicago fan at the time. Game 1 was my 17th birthday present, 7-3 Soviets...

I own the box set as well and Dryden was more clutch than Esposito as the series wore on.

And the NHLers were barely getting into shape at series end. That is why it was so close. The Soviets were a well oiled machine familiar with each other. And Tretiak was pretty fair himself.

Damn,I just seen this.....Didnt realize he was gone......

Not only was he one the greats of the game,he also had one of thee all-time great names of all-time.....it screams hockey.

What a shame to see another player from my past gone.........