Record Players

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
most of the time I am listening to music through my Alexa, just playing through my house.

but I bought a record player (Audio Technica) last year and I have been trying to get more into vinyl.

I didn't buy anything fancy, just their entry model with bluetooth, but I like putting it on from time to time to play my dad's old records.

bought a new stylus though, the one that came with it was not playing well.

anyone else a vinyl fan/hipster?

I have some old records my grandparents have gave me. But I have nothing to play them on. Have a Rolling Stones album with a cover that got recalled that’s worth a couple hundred bucks, other than that, nothing of note

I have some old records my grandparents have gave me. But I have nothing to play them on. Have a Rolling Stones album with a cover that got recalled that’s worth a couple hundred bucks, other than that, nothing of note
Some Girls is the album. Apparently the old Hollywood actresses didn’t like their faces on the cover

I enjoy vinyl. Not a douchy vinyl snob or anything, don’t have a huge collection, just enjoy the active process of it, and watching it turn when I’m stoned.

I use the audio technica you’re probably referring to (lp60). Also have one of those shitty but kinda cool looking all in ones that use the victrola brand name.

Reactions: ill
I've still got a couple crates full of records from when I learned to play guitar. Would go by an old indoor flea market every few weeks that had a stall full of vinyl, typically for $2 each. They'd pull all of the Beatles and try to mark them up to $30-40, even if they were in poor condition, but evidently people still bought them. Could definitely see the one hit wonders with dozens in a row that never moved, but would come across some good ones every now and then.

It was a cheap way to learn. I'll still put them on occasionally to see if I can remember, but I haven't played in awhile.

I enjoy vinyl. Not a douchy vinyl snob or anything, don’t have a huge collection, just enjoy the active process of it, and watching it turn when I’m stoned.

I use the audio technica you’re probably referring to (lp60). Also have one of those shitty but kinda cool looking all in ones that use the victrola brand name.
yep, just an LP60. It works for what I need it for.

I pulled the old stylus off, looked at it, put it back on...then brushed the record before playing it and it sounded much much better.

vinyl is a finicky bitch, that's for sure.

yep, just an LP60. It works for what I need it for.

I pulled the old stylus off, looked at it, put it back on...then brushed the record before playing it and it sounded much much better.

vinyl is a finicky bitch, that's for sure.
It’s a fine budget turntable. My biggest complaint is when I found it was playing fast, adjusting the speed is a real bitch. If you didn’t replace the stylus, having a spare on hand isn’t a bad thing. Also worth getting a stylus brush and one of those static eliminating dusters for records, both are cheap and useful.

It’s a fine budget turntable. My biggest complaint is when I found it was playing fast, adjusting the speed is a real bitch. If you didn’t replace the stylus, having a spare on hand isn’t a bad thing. Also worth getting a stylus brush and one of those static eliminating dusters for records, both are cheap and useful.
I have all the cleaning stuffs. I am good to go.

I haven't used a record player since record players were the main medium for audio playback.

The Good:

If the original master is analogue recorded (like everything was pre-1981), the sound playback will mimic how the mixing and mastering was meant to sound. Digital simply isn't capable of an exact representation of an analogue recording. Because of it's limited bandwidth, the bass used to be compressed a bit in order to fit on the vinyl grooves. Surprisingly, this actaully created a pleasing harmonic effect and is one of the reasons why some people prefer vinyl/analogue recordings.

The Bad:

Vinyl simply doesn't have the bandwidth to capture all of the fidelity of say a classical music performance. The vinyl low end may (subjectively) sound better to some, but it's a scientific fact that it can't compete overall with digital (and by that I mean FLAC quality audio; not MP3 compression) in terms of overall fidelity.

The Ugly:

Scratches and skipping. Blecchh!

I'm not much into the analogue scene. I certainly don't dismiss it; it's really just a different listening experience. Is digital better than analogue/vinyl (or vice versa)? I would say, for the most part, it's just a personal preference.

and watching it turn when I’m stoned.

ric flair GIF

dachshund spinning GIF

I haven't used a record player since record players were the main medium for audio playback.

The Good:

If the original master is analogue recorded (like everything was pre-1981), the sound playback will mimic how the mixing and mastering was meant to sound. Digital simply isn't capable of an exact representation of an analogue recording. Because of it's limited bandwidth, the bass used to be compressed a bit in order to fit on the vinyl grooves. Surprisingly, this actaully created a pleasing harmonic effect and is one of the reasons why some people prefer vinyl/analogue recordings.

The Bad:

Vinyl simply doesn't have the bandwidth to capture all of the fidelity of say a classical music performance. The vinyl low end may (subjectively) sound better to some, but it's a scientific fact that it can't compete overall with digital (and by that I mean FLAC quality audio; not MP3 compression) in terms of overall fidelity.

The Ugly:

Scratches and skipping. Blecchh!

I'm not much into the analogue scene. I certainly don't dismiss it; it's really just a different listening experience. Is digital better than analogue/vinyl (or vice versa)? I would say, for the most part, it's just a personal preference.
For sure, anyone who claims it’s superior to uncompressed digital formats is full of absolute shit. And even if you do prefer the “sound” of vinyl, if you’re buying something that’s been recorded in these modern times, and they’re just pressing the digital recording onto vinyl, joke’s on you...

For sure, anyone who claims it’s superior to uncompressed digital formats is full of absolute shit. And even if you do prefer the “sound” of vinyl, if you’re buying something that’s been recorded in these modern times, and they’re just pressing the digital recording onto vinyl, joke’s on you...
But CDs spin too fast to enjoy when you’re stoned...