Religion vs The Church

As a youth, I believed what I was told.

Then you grow and see things that simply don't seem right. Like having a handicapped child as I do, "God has a plan for him". I haven't seen it.

So I fall back to olden days, when everything was a mystical mystery.

Has to be some reason for things?

So we came up with god.
My father's sister was a raging alcoholic - in an extremely literal sense... When she did not have alcohol, she was verbally violent. If you deprived her of alcohol she was physically violent. She was also physically handicapped and endured a lot of abuse from her peers as a youth - which reinforced her combativeness.

When she was in her late 40's, she was out on a camping trip with family. She fell asleep in a folding chair, it tipped over and she broke her neck. Paralyzed. For the first several years after the incident, she had some use of her arms, but she eventually lost her arms too and was admitted into an assisted living residence until she passed away a couple years ago.

Living with no control of your extremities is awful. You're a prisoner of your own body and is a fate worse than death. It's easy to question "how could an all-loving God allow such a thing and what purpose could something like that possibly serve?" Well, what it ended up doing is spurred about 40 family members to provide greater love and support to her, each other and others - be better Christians. So in a sense, she was a sacrificial lamb to improve a large group of others. It also sobered her up and brought greater clarity to her life and closer to God. Had she not become paralyzed, alcohol would've likely continued to consume her - which could've likely resulted in her eternal death. Paralysis in her earthly life became a gateway to eternal life.

So regarding your handicapped child, I'm willing to bet that caring for your child has altered some of your perspectives and molded you and your family into more selfless people. It taught you valuable life lessons that you subsequently share with others. It has also brought trials and obstacles to overcome - making you a stronger and more resilient person. So in a sense, your child's handicap may have improved the lives and perspectives of you and dozens of other people.

A person is a Christian IF they follow the Liberal words of Jesus Christ.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - or in other words - Treat EVERYONE the way that you would like to be treated - which includes - males, females, whites, blacks, browns, reds, yellows, heterosexual, homosexual, young, old, physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, women who have had abortions, etc., etc. etc.
Jesus also said that if someone uses their right hand to punch you on the left side of your face, you are NOT supposed to fight back, run away, cry, or shoot him. You are supposed to "turn your other cheek" so that he can punch you on the right side of your face.
If a person forces you to walk a mile, you are NOT supposed to fight back, run away, cry, or shoot him. You are supposed to OFFER to walk a second mile.
If someone takes your coat, you are NOT supposed to fight back, run away, cry, or shoot him. You are supposed to give him your shirt.
These sayings from Jesus Christ, can be found in Matthew.
People, who don't want to follow His Liberal Teachings, CANNOT call themselves a Christian.
There is NO such thing as a Conservative Christian. It is an oxymoron. A person is either a conservative or they are a Christian. You CANNOT be both.

My father's sister was a raging alcoholic - in an extremely literal sense... When she did not have alcohol, she was verbally violent. If you deprived her of alcohol she was physically violent. She was also physically handicapped and endured a lot of abuse from her peers as a youth - which reinforced her combativeness.

When she was in her late 40's, she was out on a camping trip with family. She fell asleep in a folding chair, it tipped over and she broke her neck. Paralyzed. For the first several years after the incident, she had some use of her arms, but she eventually lost her arms too and was admitted into an assisted living residence until she passed away a couple years ago.

Living with no control of your extremities is awful. You're a prisoner of your own body and is a fate worse than death. It's easy to question "how could an all-loving God allow such a thing and what purpose could something like that possibly serve?" Well, what it ended up doing is spurred about 40 family members to provide greater love and support to her, each other and others - be better Christians. So in a sense, she was a sacrificial lamb to improve a large group of others. It also sobered her up and brought greater clarity to her life and closer to God. Had she not become paralyzed, alcohol would've likely continued to consume her - which could've likely resulted in her eternal death. Paralysis in her earthly life became a gateway to eternal life.

So regarding your handicapped child, I'm willing to bet that caring for your child has altered some of your perspectives and molded you and your family into more selfless people. It taught you valuable life lessons that you subsequently share with others. It has also brought trials and obstacles to overcome - making you a stronger and more resilient person. So in a sense, your child's handicap may have improved the lives and perspectives of you and dozens of other people.

I would suggest reading "The Ones who Walk Away from Amelas"

So sorry for your aunt. With the tumbles my son has had during seizures over the years, it's amazing that all he has for battle scars are 3 implant molars and a bridge from his 1 point landing on his chin falling out of the shower. He's probably had 20 big concussions as well.

Between my son, my institutionalized Father and my aged in-laws selfless is the order of the day.

But it's just common decency. If we don't not many else will.

Last edited:
Not familiar. (Brief synopsis?)
Short story by Ursula le Guin about a city that has a great lifestyle, and how it is bases on the suffering of one child, their sacrificial lamb.

Probably more a condemnation of utilitarianism than religion

It is available online as a .pdf

Here are my war medals. For distinguished service. Till I got bigger than Mom.

IMG_0160 (002).JPG

Religion, to me, is a branch of philosophy, usually based upon the teachings of a master/deity

A church is an organization that uses religion to indoctrinate and control the followers.

Discuss
You and Karl Marx have a lot in common...

1616519326948.png

A person is a Christian IF they follow the Liberal words of Jesus Christ.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - or in other words - Treat EVERYONE the way that you would like to be treated - which includes - males, females, whites, blacks, browns, reds, yellows, heterosexual, homosexual, young, old, physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, women who have had abortions, etc., etc. etc.
Jesus also said that if someone uses their right hand to punch you on the left side of your face, you are NOT supposed to fight back, run away, cry, or shoot him. You are supposed to "turn your other cheek" so that he can punch you on the right side of your face.
If a person forces you to walk a mile, you are NOT supposed to fight back, run away, cry, or shoot him. You are supposed to OFFER to walk a second mile.
If someone takes your coat, you are NOT supposed to fight back, run away, cry, or shoot him. You are supposed to give him your shirt.
These sayings from Jesus Christ, can be found in Matthew.
People, who don't want to follow His Liberal Teachings, CANNOT call themselves a Christian.
There is NO such thing as a Conservative Christian. It is an oxymoron. A person is either a conservative or they are a Christian. You CANNOT be both.
There are several definitions of "conservative"; one of them is avoiding showiness (displaying humility).

Luke chronicled Christ's parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in chapter 18 - which Christ summarized by saying “For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Therefore, your assertion that a person cannot be conservative and Christian is false.

Christ was asked which commandment is the greatest. His response was “The most important one is this: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.

Both #1 and #2 apply to all humans of all backgrounds and affiliations.