Reusable fast food containers, would ya?

fordman84

Administrator
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 95,570.00

Burger king is going to test out reusable containers with the idea being you pay a deposit when you get them and get that back when you return them.

Me? I'd not do it since I don't eat fast food often and when I do it isn't usually someplace I've been recently. So I'd have to store them until I want to go back to a place and usually fast food is just a post-game "I'm hungry and this place is close or on the way home" ordeal. I guess that means I'd have to store the containers in my car, which is a non-starter for me.

danny devito GIF

So Burger King employees are going to be expected to wash dishes too? I don't see that going well.

...Can't wait until my sandwich bun is covered in ketchup and mayo from the last three people who used that sandwich container. Gross.

Burger king is going to test out reusable containers with the idea being you pay a deposit when you get them and get that back when you return them.

Me? I'd not do it since I don't eat fast food often and when I do it isn't usually someplace I've been recently. So I'd have to store them until I want to go back to a place and usually fast food is just a post-game "I'm hungry and this place is close or on the way home" ordeal. I guess that means I'd have to store the containers in my car, which is a non-starter for me.
well, up until coke etc came up with the term "litter bug" as a means to shame the public when they went from washing glass bottles to disposable cans, it was common practice to re-use/clean certain food packaging.

that always bugged me. they literally created a campaign to shift the blame for garbage onto the consumer, when it was an act of saving money by the manufacturer.

Don't eat it enough to do that

What better time than a global pandemic than to introduce a concept where strangers are touching and exchanging the same objects their hands/saliva are touching...

Similar, I don't eat fast food often enough, it's usually when travelling. But if they are sturdy enough, then they might end up getting used as tupperware for when I pack a lunch, like I do with chinese take out containers.

Similar, I don't eat fast food often enough, it's usually when travelling. But if they are sturdy enough, then they might end up getting used as tupperware for when I pack a lunch, like I do with chinese take out containers.
dont ever microwave those more than once and eat out of them. they leech into your food. theyre a single use design.

same with water bottles.

well, up until coke etc came up with the term "litter bug" as a means to shame the public when they went from washing glass bottles to disposable cans, it was common practice to re-use/clean certain food packaging.

that always bugged me. they literally created a campaign to shift the blame for garbage onto the consumer, when it was an act of saving money by the manufacturer.
BOOM

I read a book last year that described this...can't recall if it was "Citizen Coke" or something else...a genius move by the company but also a bit of a jerk move. That's capitalism, I guess

dont ever microwave those more than once and eat out of them. they leech into your food. theyre a single use design.

same with water bottles.
Yeah, I usually don't nuke them, I'll move the food onto a plate first. And after a time or two through the dishwasher they start to get those white bubbles in the sides, then it's recycle time

BOOM

I read a book last year that described this...can't recall if it was "Citizen Coke" or something else...a genius move by the company but also a bit of a jerk move. That's capitalism, I guess
yup

it wasnt just coke, but the entire bottling industry. any consumable in a bottle went from reusable (with wash plants at most factories) to disposable, single use, and they created the litter bug campaign..to shift the onus away from them.

as you said, genius, and it was. and a dick move.

Last edited:
yup

it wasnt just coke, but the entire bottling industry. any consumable in a bottle went form reusable (with wash plants at most factories) to disposable, single use, and they created the litter bug campaign..to shift the onus away from them.

as you said, genius, and it was. and a dick move.
I remember when we could get a soda at the store for 15 cents, or 10 cents if we drank it right there and gave the bottle back. Can't recall the last time I saw a deposit bottle but it was probably the early 80's

I remember when we could get a soda at the store for 15 cents, or 10 cents if we drank it right there and gave the bottle back. Can't recall the last time I saw a deposit bottle but it was probably the early 80's
Some breweries use the same concept for growlers

yup, had that as a kid here too, local farm. glass bottles. drink it there and it was $.50 and they had a coke receptacle. take it out and it was $1.

Some breweries use the same concept for growlers
yessir. in college, the troy pub and brewery on the hudson. we used to get growlers filled. bring em back, refills were half price.

yessir. in college, the troy pub and brewery on the hudson. we used to get growlers filled. bring em back, refills were half price.
Well, all breweries do something similar to that.

What I was talking about is some will take in your old one, give you a different one with beer. They just cycle the growlers

Well, all breweries do something similar to that.

What I was talking about is some will take in your old one, give you a different one with beer. They just cycle the growlers
It's great if you're going to drink the whole thing in one sitting but I've found that many of them go flat after a day

It's great if you're going to drink the whole thing in one sitting but I've found that many of them go flat after a day
Oh, yeah... Rarely get them. I have a couple full size ones that I might fill if I'm bringing it to a party or something. I have a few half size (howlers) that I'll fill more readily. 32 oz is easy to drink in a day or two.

"I'm from West Africa... I can use reusable fast food containers anytime I want!" - Doug, King of West African Jabroni Tribe