Should this be a out or HR?

Based on this, I think it'd be a homer. This doesn't talk about the stands or fences though. If a fielder doesn't get a foot in the playing surface and then goes into the dugout, it isn't a catch. I wouldn't think hitting the fence would count, but I'm not sure.

Don't know the rules but since he jumped, caught the ball, then went out of play I'd say no catch bc he never had a foot in play during the catch

It’s a homer of the fielder goes completely over the wall. Had he made a catch on the run and then leaped over the wall, it would be an out since the catch was made in the field of play

It’s a homer of the fielder goes completely over the wall. Had he made a catch on the run and then leaped over the wall, it would be an out since the catch was made in the field of play

Derek Jeter GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

That's Coach Mike Bianco's son. Hell of a play. Whether it was an out or a HR, it was a hell of an effort.

I'd tend to think it was an out.

That's Coach Mike Bianco's son. Hell of a play. Whether it was an out or a HR, it was a hell of an effort.

I'd tend to think it was an out.
I agree that it should be an out, but unless the rules are different in college than in the Majors, it’s a homer

I agree that it should be an out, but unless the rules are different in college than in the Majors, it’s a homer

The only reason I am not 100% convinced it was an out, is because you lose sight of the "glove, ball and the player" behind the wall when the ball is being "caught"....or is it?!?!?

He pops back up with it in his glove but did it bounce off the ground out of site then back into his glove before he pops back up into view?

Edit: Watched it again and I now think he may have been guilty of theatrics...doesn't look like he needed to flip over the wall....seems he could have just jumped up and caught without all the acrobatics.

He gave his Dad a special Birthday Gift when he wore the Purple and Gold....

I think Jeter might have had a foot in fair territory when he caught that ball.
Any half ass decent defensive SS is slowing to a trot and making a routine catch on a popup. That Jeter catch is the second most overrated play in MLB history. Second only to the Fisk homer that I assume is only memorable because he was waving his arms like a spaz, yet Boston last the next game and the series. The David Freese game 6 walk off went farther and the Cards went on to win game 7 and the series

Based on this, I think it'd be a homer. This doesn't talk about the stands or fences though. If a fielder doesn't get a foot in the playing surface and then goes into the dugout, it isn't a catch. I wouldn't think hitting the fence would count, but I'm not sure.
The rule is that you can't have a foot in the dugout. In this case, the player can't jump over the fence, land, and then catch it. If he's in play when he starts to make the play, it's an out.

If a foot lands on the other side of the fence before he catches it, yes. If he starts in play, he's made the catch in play. He'd have to have his foot on the ground on the other side (or be pushing off a wall or a seat or something) to be out of play and have that called a homer.

If a foot lands on the other side of the fence before he catches it, yes. If he starts in play, he's made the catch in play. He'd have to have his foot on the ground on the other side (or be pushing off a wall or a seat or something) to be out of play and have that called a homer.

The rule is that you can't have a foot in the dugout. In this case, the player can't jump over the fence, land, and then catch it. If he's in play when he starts to make the play, it's an out.
Yup, as long as he hasn't "established" himself out of the field then it's an out.

If I am reading the rules correctly, it should be a ground rule double.

Had 1 foot down in playing area and none in non playing area, and momentum took him out of play area.

If I am reading the rules correctly, it should be a ground rule double.

Had 1 foot down in playing area and none in non playing area, and momentum took him out of play area.
Out.

If there were any runners on base, and there were less than 2 outs, the runners would all advance one base.

Since there weren't any, doesn't matter.