Squeaky floors

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Under carpet. Tried my stud finder but it doesn't penetrate through to the joists.

Any suggestions??

I've got some special screws that break off at floor level, but first I need a joist to drive them into.

Under carpet. Tried my stud finder but it doesn't penetrate through to the joists.

Any suggestions??

I've got some special screws that break off at floor level, but first I need a joist to drive them into.
I used those screws with the tri-spike thing before and it worked with mixed results. The hardest part was finding the joist, and I ended up doing that with a dead-blow hammer (any hammer will work but dead blow won't scuff up or leave marks on the carpet). It's really noisy so tell everyone to get out of the house and then just start going to town narrowing down where the sound turns solid. If you know which way your joists are running that's a huge help.
I will add that I wasted more than a few of those snap off screws because I missed the joist. In that case just snap them off and move over until you find the joist. Then if you know the direction try to stay on that line, something to mark it will help. Even using a yardstick or something can save you from wandering.

Any suggestions??

I don't care about squeaky floors. My floors don't squeak. Carry on.

Any suggestions??

Spray it all down with WD-40. That usually stops most things "squeaking"....

:heh:

Is this a finished wood floor over a plank sub-floor or just a plank sub floor.....with carpet over it. ???

Any suggestions??

Did you finish this yet ?

Are you looking at the wood, or are you trying to do this through the carpeting?

Through carpeting. Which is why my stud finder won’t work. Too thick with the underlay.

Last edited:
Usually a squeaky floor is the subfloor plywood, moving up and down on the nail shank. If you can take a hammer and bang around on where the floor is squeaking, you may be able to set the nail a little deeper into the floor joist. But I have usedtrim screws with a very small head and screw them through the carpet and pad into the plywood and then into the joist. Go buy better stud finder.