Steve Perry...the lead singer of Van Halen?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
it almost happened

Imagine the groundbreaking guitar playing of Eddie Van Halen paired with the golden voice of Steve Perry? Well, it could’ve been. According to the former Journey singer, Eddie Van Halen suggested that he and Perry jam following David Lee Roth’s departure from Van Halen in 1985.

In paying tribute to the late guitarist in a new interview with Rolling Stone, Perry strongly hinted that he could have been in line for the coveted Van Halen singing gig if he had followed up on Eddie’s invitation. However, there was one big thing holding him back.

“I don’t think anyone knows this, but when David Lee Roth left Van Halen [in 1985] I was living in the Bay Area and not sure what I was or wasn’t going to do anymore,” recalled Perry. “I don’t remember how it went down, but either I called Eddie or Eddie called me.”

That would have been strange. Perry had such a pop voice. At least Hagar had a rock voice

Journey is the most candy assed band of all time. I’ve never been a huge VH fan, but at least respected their music. They didn’t need to pussify their band with a Journey reject though

Journey is the most candy assed band of all time. I’ve never been a huge VH fan, but at least respected their music. They didn’t need to pussify their band with a Journey reject though
Journey was different before Perry arrived. They were a prog rock band. The first Journey album with Perry was okay but as Perry took more control over the band they increasingly went soft pop with each album. I don't think Schon liked the direction the band went but couldn't say no to the money. Neil Schon is a great guitarist who got lost in the pop

Eddie should have called Steven Tyler instead....

Fully confident that Eddie Van Halen would have made it work.
It would have been weird, but Eddie would have made it work.