Stone + wood cabin

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 22,597.00
Ok let’s get serious here hosers. Any builders or masons in tHoopNation?

looking for some wisdom on what would not break the bank but last forever for family. Planning off grid 20x16 cabin with loft in the Ozarks. Have a mason and carpenter/builder to help and all the stone i need. On top of a hill/mountain and on level ground with solid rock underneath. Will get lumber from local mill.

Foundation -- planning on 16" rubblestone foundation (rock wall w/mortar) then to 12" thick stone walls for first 3-4'. 9' walls total but after that 3-4' the plan is for the stone walls to be 6" wide on outside and all lumber on the inside of the cabin. 1 wall (fireplace) to be 12" thick all the way up.

How far down do i need to go with the 16" foundation? Rebar? Not sure what's even possible since it's little soil and mostly boulders.

Ok let’s get serious here hosers. Any builders or masons in tHoopNation?

looking for some wisdom on what would not break the bank but last forever for family. Planning off grid 20x16 cabin with loft in the Ozarks. Have a mason and carpenter/builder to help and all the stone i need. On top of a hill/mountain and on level ground with solid rock underneath. Will get lumber from local mill.

Foundation -- planning on 16" rubblestone foundation (rock wall w/mortar) then to 12" thick stone walls for first 3-4'. 9' walls total but after that 3-4' the plan is for the stone walls to be 6" wide on outside and all lumber on the inside of the cabin. 1 wall (fireplace) to be 12" thick all the way up.

How far down do i need to go with the 16" foundation? Rebar? Not sure what's even possible since it's little soil and mostly boulders.
All depends on soil composition. I dont shit about the ozarks, or if they have a frost level.

All depends on soil composition. I dont shit about the ozarks, or if they have a frost level.

little soil, lots of rock. The spot I picked out is basically on top of boulders. And I’m a novice. Have good dudes to do the work but I like lots of info and research

little soil, lots of rock. The spot I picked out is basically on top of boulders. And I’m a novice. Have good dudes to do the work but I like lots of info and research
Still depends on soil underneath, or around the boulders. If the soil is "reactive" to water. Sandy soil can erode, and clay can expand. I have seen some in Utah, where they chip out or remove the boulders where needed to do pillars, or pier, supports. You should need to get some type of soil composition analysis done before building.

Were you going to get permits, or just go for it?

I would recommended looking around at some of the other structures in the area also. Dont fuck up the foundation.

I'm in far south part of southern Illinois, same general latitude. I think I was recommended to go 32 inches but I went 36 inches.

It's not that much money when you look at the alternative.

I'm in far south part of southern Illinois, same general latitude. I think I was recommended to go 32 inches but I went 36 inches.

I have no doubt that people are building duplexes and spec houses with 24" deep foundations around here though.

Still depends on soil underneath, or around the boulders. If the soil is "reactive" to water. Sandy soil can erode, and clay can expand. I have seen some in Utah, where they chip out or remove the boulders where needed to do pillars, or pier, supports. You should need to get some type of soil composition analysis done before building.

Were you going to get permits, or just go for it?

I would recommended looking around at some of the other structures in the area also. Dont fuck up the foundation.
no clay bruh. It’s on top a mountain/hill whatever. All Limestone and beast rock. Fuck permits I’m going old school

BEE0E760-8495-43B2-830C-5D403056374D.jpeg

How do I go down 24” through straight rock tho? Or can I just build mountain rock walls and go down a bit?

How do I go down 24” through straight rock tho? Or can I just build mountain rock walls and go down a bit?
I was reading some stuff about it, and if there is no frost line to worry about, you should be ok to putt piers/pillars into boulders, but they move. This is out of my scope for sure. Ill look around though.

I was reading some stuff about it, and if there is no frost line to worry about, you should be ok to putt piers/pillars into boulders, but they move. This is out of my scope for sure. Ill look around though.

i love you maaaaaaaan

@HammerDown

dont be this guy. looks like an engineer that has never actually done a single one of his own designs.

This dude is a bad ass.

This dude is a bad ass.

Watched this again. Dig the 24” trench in regular soil, small rock on bottom, mix, then boulders, mortar...

What to do when on no soil and straight beast rock..

Gonna talk to my old school builder guy next week