Poll Subtitles vs Voiceover

Which you like better for foreign films?

• Voiceover

• Subtitles

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 25,000.00
Voiceover got a bad rep because of king fu movies, but I think it’s better than subtitles, which pull your eyes from the business end of the screen.

Discuss

The Spahgetti Westerns drove me nuts, but subtitles can suck a bag of dicks.

So, I'm torn

I can't hear for shit, so I like subtitles sometimes.

The Spahgetti Westerns drove me nuts, but subtitles can suck a bag of dicks.

So, I'm torn
trump day GIF

I can't hear for shit, so I like subtitles sometimes.
I have subs on most of time. Seems everytime something important is said they say it way to quite or too much chaos going on. Makes it easier. Also accents can get in the way. A Yankee talking and your like whut...

What I really love are the made for TV voiceovers to edit out the cursing. Sometimes they get really creative.

My personal favorites Die Hard 2. — “Yippy kai yay Mr. Falcon”

Big Lebowski- “You see what happens Larry! This is what happens when you fight a stranger in the alps!”

If it's a decent voiceover, then i'm fine. but there are still a lot where the voice just doesn't match the character. The cadence, pitch, inflection...all the musical terms... it's just off and makes it difficult for me to suspend disbelief.

What I really love are the made for TV voiceovers to edit out the cursing. Sometimes they get really creative.

My personal favorites Die Hard 2. — “Yippy kai yay Mr. Falcon”

Big Lebowski- “You see what happens Larry! This is what happens when you fight a stranger in the alps!”

I remember watching "Do the Right Thing" on Canadian network TV and all of the MFs were "Mickey Fickey!" :laugh:

If it's a decent voiceover, then i'm fine. but there are still a lot where the voice just doesn't match the character. The cadence, pitch, inflection...all the musical terms... it's just off and makes it difficult for me to suspend disbelief.

I can often tell more about what the character is really saying when listening to them speak in the foreign language even though I don't know much of what they're saying.