The next challenge....

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 28,020.00
I’m going to build this. Started accumulating materials this weekend.

1616359709566.jpeg

I built a rudimentary router table by sinking a plastic template into plywood and sticking some 2x4s in the back. It locks into the saw horses and works well enough, but I’ve not been able to fashion an effective fence on it.

With space being a premium for me this could work out great. The sides fold in and the extended top decks then fold down. Storing it will be about a 10”x13” box. Easy.

Will post more (if I can) when it’s complete and see how close I get to the picture here.

View attachment 24408

I built a rudimentary router table by sinking a plastic template into plywood and sticking some 2x4s in the back. It locks into the saw horses and works well enough, but I’ve not been able to fashion an effective fence on it.

With space being a premium for me this could work out great. The sides fold in and the extended top decks then fold down. Storing it will be about a 10”x13” box. Easy.

Will post more (if I can) when it’s complete and see how close I get to the picture here.
My father in law is the king of the fucking router tables. He has 2 different ones, and I swear there isnt anything he cant make with the fucking things. pretty amazing the jigs, and different fences he has. I wouldnt even know how to use them.

My father in law is the king of the fucking router tables. He has 2 different ones, and I swear there isnt anything he cant make with the fucking things. pretty amazing the jigs, and different fences he has. I wouldnt even know how to use them.
I’ve seen many plans and videos from people like him....rocket scientists with the jigs that can do things that.....sometimes even I don’t know the things they can do even after watching the video. Ha.

View attachment 24408

Is this project on the back burner or is it happening? I also need to make a router table... The router is the one (I have 3 of them!) power tool I own that I have the least know how and experience and I need to change that.

I have a big beefy 1/2" router that is still in the box unused, a 1/4" Craftsman router and table that I've had for 20 years and a really slick small trim router that I really like. Hell, I love all my tools! That's what I did part of the day yesterday, I cleaned up and maintained some of my tools, I showed 'em some love!

Is this project on the back burner or is it happening? I also need to make a router table... The router is the one (I have 3 of them!) power tool I own that I have the least know how and experience and I need to change that.

I have a big beefy 1/2" router that is still in the box unused, a 1/4" Craftsman router and table that I've had for 20 years and a really slick small trim router that I really like. Hell, I love all my tools! That's what I did part of the day yesterday, I cleaned up and maintained some of my tools, I showed 'em some love!
Funny you reached out on this. I was just thinking I should have the final job up here shortly.

It’s not on the back burner, but I’ve been chopping at it with the free time I’ve had. Started a little slow as there were gaps in the plan I pulled for this. It’s a great design, but there were a few points the plan showed gaps and I had to figure out how to work around it.

I’m not even mad about it as the gaps challenged me to think and adapt, and I’ve done well enough to keep this moving forward well.

Lately I’ve been putting the Phillies game on (if it’s a night game) and getting out there for an hour or two before bed. I’ve pretty much reworked or worked around to get all the gremlins out and just put the first coat of poly on it last night.

I should have some pics and my experience up here in a few days. :beer2:

After that I know the next thing to do....it’s time to do some maintenance and give the tools some love.

Well, it is done. I took it on as a challenge and learned some things. I feel good because I did take my time on this, even went back and redid some things where I had the supplies on hand.

The instructions were great, but took a bit of digesting. They also had some gaps of things just not mentioned. I’m not mad. Those moments challenged me to come up with the solution to bridge things.

The unit is built to be compact in storage, but the side swing up to extend the table tops, and the shelving with the router bit storage swings out. There are magnets on both pieces to lock them in full.

It’s a really neat solution for a guy who has limited shop space.

Attachments

• 04FD1613-C63F-41FC-B7DD-34DF491100B4.jpeg
    04FD1613-C63F-41FC-B7DD-34DF491100B4.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 4
  • D5847AAA-6FAC-44A2-A5D5-DA0CBF099238.jpeg
    D5847AAA-6FAC-44A2-A5D5-DA0CBF099238.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 366CDDCE-5B19-4397-A8D7-661B50ECC85E.jpeg
    366CDDCE-5B19-4397-A8D7-661B50ECC85E.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4
Well, it is done. I took it on as a challenge and learned some things. I feel good because I did take my time on this, even went back and redid some things where I had the supplies on hand.

The instructions were great, but took a bit of digesting. They also had some gaps of things just not mentioned. I’m not mad. Those moments challenged me to come up with the solution to bridge things.

The unit is built to be compact in storage, but the side swing up to extend the table tops, and the shelving with the router bit storage swings out. There are magnets on both pieces to lock them in full.

It’s a really neat solution for a guy who has limited shop space.
That's so frustrating when instructions are missing! I woulda got mad... I'd be dropping F bombs, taking the Lord's name in vain, a few SOB's and I woulda mixed it all together in a sing songy fashion!

But good for you for sticking with it and making it work. Nice work! I might have some spare time in about ten days if the floor crew still hasn't started and if that happens I'm going to make a router table too. I'm going to use part of my old countertops for the router table top. I hope it's okay with you if I use your thread to show it off. More importantly though, I need to learn how to use it beyond my limited know-how of routers.

That's so frustrating when instructions are missing! I woulda got mad... I'd be dropping F bombs, taking the Lord's name in vain, a few SOB's and I woulda mixed it all together in a sing songy fashion!

But good for you for sticking with it and making it work. Nice work! I might have some spare time in about ten days if the floor crew still hasn't started and if that happens I'm going to make a router table too. I'm going to use part of my old countertops for the router table top. I hope it's okay with you if I use your thread to show it off. More importantly though, I need to learn how to use it beyond my limited know-how of routers.
Show away. I would be interested to see what you come up with.