The Preakness - Saturday May 15, 2021

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
I’ll post some stuff about the Preakness as it approaches.

So far, I’m seeing this as the possible field, with a horse from Japan possible to enter. Decent amount of pace signed on so far if this field sticks.

Medina Spirit (Baffert)
Concert Tour (Baffert)
Mandaloun (Cox)
Caddo River (Cox)
Midnight Bourbon (Asmussen)
Crowded Trade (Brown)
Rombauer (McCarthy)
France Go De Ina (Mori)

you ever check out kasept's place for picks?

you ever check out kasept's place for picks?
Yes. Steve (kasept) is great and actually posted some tremendous picks the day before the derby with some massive payouts.

I mostly post on there about horse racing but try to get a little bit of discussion here.

Yes. Steve (kasept) is great and actually posted some tremendous picks the day before the derby with some massive payouts.

I mostly post on there about horse racing but try to get a little bit of discussion here.
i've been outta the game for a while. was especially annoyed when i saw the subsidies NY and PA hand out for horse racing. i always figured a gambling enterprise was supposed to bring in tax revenue, not need it.

i've been outta the game for a while. was especially annoyed when i saw the subsidies NY and PA hand out for horse racing. i always figured a gambling enterprise was supposed to bring in tax revenue, not need it.
I don’t know the numbers but industry insiders would point to the fact that horse racing creates a lot of jobs —> jockeys, trainers, track crew and vendors, stewards, outriders, hot walkers, other stable crew, breeders, staff for breeders, etc. I’m probably missing some things.

I don’t know if any of it holds up. But I have a passion/love for the sport from going to the track with my dad and grandpa so it’s easy for me to rationalize. I’m not sure it’s all that different than billionaire NFL owners getting public assistance to build their massive stadiums. It’s outrageous but I get over it.

I think I saw that Concert Tour and Mandaloun pulled out??

Trying to figure out which mid odd horse has shot to pull surprise. Crowded Trade or Risk Taking look to be possible, plus Midnight Bourbon. I may be overlooking Rombauer, Prat is due to get the wire again in a triple crown race.

Trifecta 3,4,5 combo favorites with long shot substitutes Ram and France Go de Ina mixed in to make it pay off.

I hit on Army Wife in the Black Eyed Susan and I'm alive in the Black Eyed Susan / Preakness double to Medina Spirit and Crowded Trade. Here are my thoughts:

#3 Medina Spirit (9/5): There is no question that this horse is the one to beat in here. He had everything go his way in the Derby but the big question is who will pressure the pace in the Preakness to make things a little tougher on him. We know that the other Baffert, Concert Tour, is not going to get involved in a speed duel with Medina Spirit. All signs point to Midnight Bourbon sending and pressing the pace. Is Midnight Bourbon fast enough to throw things off for Medina Spirit? Maybe. The other question for Medina Spirit is how he'll respond to the 2 weeks between races. He's heavily raced over the last 6 months and maybe he peaked in the Derby...but this field isn't especially strong and Baffert gets these horses ready better than anyone else.

#4 Crowded Trade (10/1): If Midnight Bourbon hooks up with Medina Spirit or Concert Tour or both, then you want someone who is going to be able to work out a good trip and then pass them down the stretch. Think Super Stock in the Arkansas Derby. I think the most likely horse to do that is Crowded Trade who looks like a talented horse that Chad Brown may have let bite off more than he could chew early in his career after his big performance in the Gotham. He's rested up and been pointing to this race so he should be ready.

#5 Midnight Bourbon (5/1): If the Baffert horses falter, Midnight Bourbon is the next most accomplished horse in the field. The horses from the Louisiana Derby ran well in the Kentucky Derby and he has the look of a horse who won't mind running on short rest. He also didn't get his preferred trip in the Derby and should look to send and try to work out a nice trip near the front in this one. My problem with him is that I don't think he's fast enough to get the lead and will likely need Medina Spirit to regress and/or Concert Tour not to show up in order to win this one. But he's the most likely horse to hit the board and note that he is half sibling to Cocked and Loaded, Girvin, and Pirate's Punch, all of whom are graded stakes winners in dirt routes so he's got the pedigree to fall back on.

#9 Risk Taking (15/1): If you want to take a shot on a longshot in your exotics, Risk Taking is a good horse to consider. Chad Brown skipped the Peter Pan last week to run Risk Taking here, despite the fact that he's got the same ownership as Chad's other horse Crowded Trade. So what's the deal? I'm not quite sure but my guess is that the field came up a bit weak and Risk Taking has been working well so why not take a shot?

#6 Rombauer (12/1): Michael McCarthy has sort of developed a reputation of having his shippers ready to run. McCarthy himself is a good trainer (15% win percentage,46% in the money) but his numbers for shippers in graded stakes dirt routes over the last 5 years puts him at 23%/62% with an average payout of $10. So it would be wise to take any of his horses seriously when they ship into town. Rombauer looks like an improving 3 year old who has been putting in very fast workouts over the last few weeks. He was sort of up against it last time out with the moderate pace (and facing two very good horses in Essential Quality and Highly Motivated.) He may be too far back to win this one but he should be coming late and don't be surprised if he gets a piece in the end.

#10 Concert Tour (5/2): The only other horse to really talk about is Baffert's 2nd horse Concert Tour. It's no secret that I've been a big fan of his over the early part of this year. But when you look at his performances, it's not clear why he should be the 5/2 second choice (and some sources indicate he might be close to the favorite come post time.) To me, that's nuts and while I've always loved this horse's potential, I think he's a horse that you bet against and let him beat you at short odds. Even his Rebel win, where he got an uncontested pace and wired the field, his speed figures did not come back particularly fast. Given that he did not take a step forward in the Arkansas Derby, ask yourself why we should bet on him to take a step forward now. Maybe he will, but for me he is worth passing on at such low odds.

Betting strategy:

Horizontal wagers - use Medina Spirit, Crowded Trade, and Midnight Bourbon.
Win bet - Medina Spirit
Trifecta bet - Medina Spirit and Crowded Traded over Medina Spirit, Crowded Trade, Midnight Bourbon, Rombauer, Risk Taking over Medina Spirit, Crowded Trade, Midnight Bourbon, Rombauer, Risk Taking
Superfecta bet - Lean heavily on Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon in superfecta wagers (i.e., don't box a bunch of horses, key these two in various spots to save money, such as Medina Spirit over Crowded Trade, Rombauer, Risk Taking, Keepmeinmind over Midnight Bourbon over Crowded Trade, Rombauer, Risk Taking, Keepmeinmind).

Good luck all. Hopefully we can cash some tickets.

Trifecta 3,4,5 combo favorites with long shot substitutes Ram and France Go de Ina mixed in to make it pay off.
If they end up in the mix, it'll pay nicely...but I really think those two have almost no shot to end up top 3. Just my opinion. You never know.

Trying to figure out which mid odd horse has shot to pull surprise. Crowded Trade or Risk Taking look to be possible, plus Midnight Bourbon. I may be overlooking Rombauer, Prat is due to get the wire again in a triple crown race.
I like the horses that you mentioned. See my commentary on Mike McCarthy and his numbers in these types of races. I'm going to hope that Crowded Trade can put it together and run a big race here as he's in all my horizontal and vertical wagers.

Well I’m a jackass for not having Rombauer on top in any bets.

I had him in super on top with the 5 & 3, failed to have 2 in the fourth spot.
I’m kicking myself because I was between Crowded Trade and Rombauer on the horse that could close on them. If I ended up on Rombauer, would have had the double, trifecta, and super for 50 cents.

I’m kicking myself because I was between Crowded Trade and Rombauer on the horse that could close on them. If I ended up on Rombauer, would have had the double, trifecta, and super for 50 cents.
Story of my horse gambling career, usually that one horse that spoils the tri or super. Good thing I have my day job. I may consider after the Belmont to divert my gambling money from horses to crypto.