Tennessee Volunteers Update from Tennessee Boards

Reaction score
Bookie
$2,000.00
Some updates from the UT message board.

@CoalTrain you may enjoy.

1. Coaching - As of last night, it seems like Oklahoma is very interested in getting Venerables from Clemson. I am not sure if Heupel is high on the OU list but I imagine he is there and it is still a risk that he could go to OU. There was a lot of bad blood between Heupel and Stoops over his firing that is well-documented but money and opportunities talk. Heupel sent the tweet below last night. There is speculation as to whether this was tied to picking up commit from 3-star CB that Heupel really wanted and thought highly of or if it was related to the coaching rumor mill.

Tennessee is at risk to losing Defensive Coordinator, Tim Banks, who is a top candidate to replace David Cutcliffe at Duke as Head Coach. I would hate to see this but can't blame the guy. A HC position is always an upgrade over a DC spot. I thought he did well at Tennessee and his defenses, although they struggled to stop scoring, were exciting and he took advantage of being handed a bad situation.

1638290177840.png

2. Recruiting. Tennessee picked up 3-star CB Christian Harrison.

Tennessee also has some huge opportunities in the transfer portal. Former 5-star OLB Terrance Lewis is likely going to transfer from Maryland to Knoxville. Tennessee also has two transfer portal RBs on their radar, Zach Evans (TCU) and Jamyr Gibbs (Georgia Tech). Gibbs was very close to initially committing to Tennessee and switch to Georgia Tech during the coaching turmoil in 2020. Zach Evans is a longshot as I have heard he might be going to Alabama but he definitely has cited Knoxville as being on his radar.

It looks like Tennessee is playing the transfer portal very heavily. A former enemy has now become a friend. Interesting strategy and it is going to be curious to see if it plays out long term.

Tennessee does seem to be behind other programs in adjusting to the new NIL situation. This is something that has been discussed and reviewed. Definitely the recruiting world is changing. This might be why the transfer portal is being used more often right now to fill gaps.

Reaction score
Bookie
$15,924.00
Love to see that one happen^ I’ve liked what I’ve seen from that kid since HS. Potential all conference type of talent.

Reaction score
Bookie
$2,000.00