Weekly Meal Delivery Subscription Plans?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,609.00
In the past , my wife has signed up for plated, blue apron, and hello fresh and she just picks whichever one looks like it has the best lineup for the week and skips the other two services for that week. So far no double orders and the food has been good.

My observations:
Hello fresh - simplest prep but the meat, beef in particular, is usually shittier cuts
Blue apron - usually more involved prep but better ingredients, the whole limited selection options thing can be a pain
Plated - probably best overall but also most expensive

Recommendations or experiences?

We've done Hello Fresh, and like you, had bad experiences with the beef. Particularly, the ground beef had too much gristle. I did like the options and have made a few of their recipes on my own since.

Currently, we've been ordering Every Plate, which is cheaper than HF. Main differences I've noticed is EP puts all of the non-meat together in a small cardboard, lidless box, while HF puts the ingredients in their own bag. To us, we got some cheap gallon size bags to organize each meal into their own bag and go from there. HF does have larger instructions than EP, but I'm able to read EP perfectly fine.

Haven't tried the others you mentioned, but have been okay with EP. Granted, with distance learning with a few kids and school meals coming every couple days, we don't have as much room in the fridge as we used to, and are looking to pause our orders until we get a new fridge this month (Labor Day sales), which would provide a larger fridge for everyday use and our current fridge to use as backup/storage of these meal kits, amongst other things (namely homebrew).

A friend of mine told me that their family had tried all of these companies, giving each one weeks so they'd have a decent sample to compare, and he said their opinion was that Home Chef was head and shoulders better than the others.

We started using it about three weeks ago and I think we've made eight or so different meals and we've been impressed.

A friend of mine told me that their family had tried all of these companies, giving each one weeks so they'd have a decent sample to compare, and he said their opinion was that Home Chef was head and shoulders better than the others.

We started using it about three weeks ago and I think we've made eight or so different meals and we've been impressed.
source.gif

We order the family of four kits so that my wife and I will have a lunch for the following day, considering our children aren't fond of the meals at their age, so we provide their meals separately. If we had older kids, then there probably wouldn't be much of an issue with storage, since it would be depleted earlier, but now, we sometimes go through "burnout" with the choices we've (she's) selected. Namely, having rice for two or three of the kits, means having rice for 4-6 meals a week per person, between dinner and left over lunches. Same with carrots, mashed potatoes, etc.

I'd probably enjoy it more if our kids would eat them and there wasn't any leftovers. I know we could go down to meals for two, versus four, but you're still spending a similar amount of time preparing, cooking, and cleaning, so may as well have the extra meal for lunch the next day.I

I will say that I have learned a little more about cooking from following the recipes and learning new techniques that I've applied to other meals I've prepared without the kit.

Yes
I send my wife to the store with a "LIST" of food to get.
She gets it.
Then she comes home and fixes dinner.

Hope that helps.