Weird security on a trip to Seattle...

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I live in East Texas. Flew from Texarkana to Dallas and from Dallas to Seattle. The trip was so we could see my brother in law who was recently diagnosed with a terminal condition. I went with my wife and her 80-year-old father (my father in law).

My wife's driver license was expired (by 3 years), but she cruised through security in Texarkana. My aged father in law carried a real leather suitcase from the 60's. I'm not kidding. They checked his bag out a little, but that was it. He didn't even have to take his shoes/belt off.

I, who had all of my papers and affairs in order, got pulled out of line, scanned, and patted down, while my bags were rifled through. I was even asked a bunch of odd questions. I get it, I'm white, shaved head, goatee, etc. With glasses, I'd look a little like Walter White from Breaking Bad, but that isn't a reason enough for the enhanced security imo. Hell, several of the people in line behind me looked rough, pajamas, biker, silent Russian, etc. None of them were searched/scanned like I was.

Of course on the way back from Se-Tac in Seattle, things changed some...for my wife, not me. My wife and her lack of a valid ID got her ass pulled out of line, searched, and her bags searched (hell, they almost didn't let her fly). It's been months since then and she has still not gotten her license renewed (SMH). Yet again, my father in law got to skip a scan or a pat down and didn't even have to take off his shoes/belt. OTOH, I got enhanced security yet again!--pat downs, scans, shoes, belt, questions, etc. If I didn't know better I'd think they were being racist or I was being typecast.

This wasn't my first flight. I've seen security work before and even have a friend who works at airports, but they essentially pulled and and searched the least likely guy to blow up the plane. Might as well strip search the 70-year-old wheelchair bound white lady for all the good it'll do.

Do you have any inkling at all why you got singled out? Random or maybe there's a reason? Honestly, are you active or vocal on twitter with strong political or social opinions? Any reason at all?

I live in East Texas. Flew from Texarkana to Dallas and from Dallas to Seattle. The trip was so we could see my brother in law who was recently diagnosed with a terminal condition. I went with my wife and her 80-year-old father (my father in law).

My wife's driver license was expired (by 3 years), but she cruised through security in Texarkana. My aged father in law carried a real leather suitcase from the 60's. I'm not kidding. They checked his bag out a little, but that was it. He didn't even have to take his shoes/belt off.

I, who had all of my papers and affairs in order, got pulled out of line, scanned, and patted down, while my bags were rifled through. I was even asked a bunch of odd questions. I get it, I'm white, shaved head, goatee, etc. With glasses, I'd look a little like Walter White from Breaking Bad, but that isn't a reason enough for the enhanced security imo. Hell, several of the people in line behind me looked rough, pajamas, biker, silent Russian, etc. None of them were searched/scanned like I was.

Of course on the way back from Se-Tac in Seattle, things changed some...for my wife, not me. My wife and her lack of a valid ID got her ass pulled out of line, searched, and her bags searched (hell, they almost didn't let her fly). It's been months since then and she has still not gotten her license renewed (SMH). Yet again, my father in law got to skip a scan or a pat down and didn't even have to take off his shoes/belt. OTOH, I got enhanced security yet again!--pat downs, scans, shoes, belt, questions, etc. If I didn't know better I'd think they were being racist or I was being typecast.

This wasn't my first flight. I've seen security work before and even have a friend who works at airports, but they essentially pulled and and searched the least likely guy to blow up the plane. Might as well strip search the 70-year-old wheelchair bound white lady for all the good it'll do.
Airport security when YOU enter the terminal..........

1708974760635.png

Do you have any inkling at all why you got singled out? Random or maybe there's a reason? Honestly, are you active or vocal on twitter with strong political or social opinions? Any reason at all?
I do not have social media accounts. I'm not on twitter, IG, etc. Not even a FB page. I post on the EuroHoop once in a while and here on Hooplanation. That's really about the only comments I make.

Other than the way I look, I wonder if it's my name. It's a very generic white guy name. Might as well be John Smith. That's all I can think of. ...unless the Hooplanation is on a watchlist....

Would this surprise anyone?

we81dO.gif

I had a super fruit molest the shit out of me last time I flew. I'm talking, flopped that shit from side to side..

I had a "bald angry white guy" experience about 20 years ago at Salt Lake City. Oddly enough, I had originally flown out of Sea-Tac to SLC. They made us de-plane with our luggage to get back on the same plane we had just left. I got pulled so they could search my bag, which I then slammed down on the table. the checker guy refused to touch my bag and called for security. About a dozen red-coated people came running, I could swear one of them was saying "swarm! swarm!" and they surrounded me. The chief talkie-lady said she wasn't going to let me on the plane. I said, "they already checked my bag in Seattle, I was just ON that same plane, with this same bag. She said "it's because you're not being cooperative." I said, sure I am, there is my bag, on the table, waiting to be searched. You folks don't want to search it...sorry, there's no law for having a bad attitude." Then she tried to tell me that, yes, there actually IS a law about having a bad attitude, but she was short on details. Finally, the bag checker guy must have thought I had learned my lesson, because he agreed to search the bag and the redcoats slunk away into the all-consuming shadows. He and I then joked about the cockamamie new security rules after 9/11, and I apologized for taking my frustration out on him.

Actually, it was the time before last.

Ugh, flying here again soon. Fuggin hate it

Man, have you ever seen a legit police pat down? I mean a textbook one, not a perfunctory one?

It's quite intimate
I've been there. I've been patted down by the cops back when I was a student.

I was wearing sweat pants and a bandana (on my way to the gym). Not fun at all. The guy needlessly got all around my personal business. Since I was a law student, I got indignant and demanded what his cause was for pulling me over and what his cause was for searching me after the stop. I ended up patted down, handcuffed, and waiting while 3 other cop cars were there while a drug dog went around/through my car.

After all of that shit, they let me go without so much as as warning (b/c they had no cause to stop me and no cause to search and no cause to detain me).

I had a "bald angry white guy" experience about 20 years ago at Salt Lake City. Oddly enough, I had originally flown out of Sea-Tac to SLC. They made us de-plane with our luggage to get back on the same plane we had just left. I got pulled so they could search my bag, which I then slammed down on the table. the checker guy refused to touch my bag and called for security. About a dozen red-coated people came running, I could swear one of them was saying "swarm! swarm!" and they surrounded me. The chief talkie-lady said she wasn't going to let me on the plane. I said, "they already checked my bag in Seattle, I was just ON that same plane, with this same bag. She said "it's because you're not being cooperative." I said, sure I am, there is my bag, on the table, waiting to be searched. You folks don't want to search it...sorry, there's no law for having a bad attitude." Then she tried to tell me that, yes, there actually IS a law about having a bad attitude, but she was short on details. Finally, the bag checker guy must have thought I had learned my lesson, because he agreed to search the bag and the redcoats slunk away into the all-consuming shadows. He and I then joked about the cockamamie new security rules after 9/11, and I apologized for taking my frustration out on him.
moxie worked as a Mormon TSA agent years ago? You guise never told me.