Who here owns a smoker?

Did this yesterday. Pretty damn good.
I smoked a chuck roast last weekend from Sams so two roast in a package for $22. It was as good as any brisket I’ve ever had just not the volume but briskets were $77.

Highly recommend the chuck roast and the left overs make great cheese and steak quesadillas.

Let’s talk the 3-2-1 Rib method.

For stage 2 wrap he ribs in foil with butter, honey and apple juice.

It’s the best ribs I’ve ever had.

Let’s talk the 3-2-1 Rib method.

For stage 2 wrap he ribs in foil with butter, honey and apple juice.

It’s the best ribs I’ve ever had.

I find that 3/2/1 is too long. I usually do about 3 hours on the smoke, an hour and a half wrapped and 30 minutes after unwrapping them.

I've gotten away from using the 3-2-1 and just letting it ride for the full time recently. Still comes out tender, just not having the bones fall out as soon as you grab them from being steamed. It's more like a competition style of a clean bite, but I will add some sauce over the last 30-60 minutes or so.

I will still wrap my brisket after it hits the stall with a stone wagu tallow, but I'll also let me pork butt push through the stall unwrapped for the bark.

I find that 3/2/1 is too long. I usually do about 3 hours on the smoke, an hour and a half wrapped and 30 minutes after unwrapping them.
I do the same...225 until I wrap them then crank up to 250-275 for an hour and a half...then back on grill to firm back up and allow the bark to caramelize.

The secret I find to great brisket is to wrap it up and stick in a cooler that holds heat after taking it off the smoker. Try to let it rest for a few hours like that....just melting all that intermuscular fat....

Seriously, the longer you can allow it to sit resting in it's own juices for hours wrapped, the better!

The secret I find to great brisket is to wrap it up and stick in a cooler that holds heat after taking it off the smoker. Try to let it rest for a few hours like that....just melting all that intermuscular fat....

Seriously, the longer you can allow it to sit resting in it's own juices for hours wrapped, the better!
I've actually found I need to let it cool down to like 180 before putting it in the cooler otherwise the bottom ends up soggy. Same concept though.

Smoked a boneless leg of lamb as a trial for Easter yesterday and it turned out pretty good but it was definitely on the "medium" end of done. Directions said to smoke until 130 then crank the smoker up to 400 degrees until the meat hits around 140. I cranked it up at 130 but took off at 135 and wrapped in foil for 20 minutes.

The next one I will probably just take off at 132 and wrap it because it will still cook in the foil.

I just coated it in olive oil and put a dry rub mixture of pepper, salt, garlic powder and Greek seasoning before putting it on. It came packaged in a net so I didn't have to tie it up.

Pretty easy and if I had gotten it closer to medium rare it would have been perfect.

I'm firing up the smoker today too.

I'm going to try my hand at ground beef for chili or sloppy joes.

Going to get two aluminum trays and double them up with crunched up aluminum foil between them. I'll poke holes in the top tray to allow grease to exit the top tray into the bottom tray.

Costco usually pretty good about holding prices on their prime beef, but haven't checked in a month or so.

1713792438951.png

^^^not my receipt...just an 2017 image from the internet.^^^ I miss those days.

It's been years since I've seen anything below $4.00 lb up here. I liked the days of $2.69 and even cheaper every spring. We used to be able to get those packaged corned beef briskets for $2.39 every St. Patricks day. Not anymore.

Yesterday, I saw I could order a whole brisket from Sams for $3.99 ... it was huge though. I don't need one that big. lol.