Why don't EVs have an overdrive?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,354.00
Wouldn't it use less juice with an overdrive putting more speed on the road with all that torque? Converting torque to speed on the highway?

Don't get it.

Wouldn't it use less juice with an overdrive putting more speed on the road with all that torque? Converting torque to speed on the highway?

Don't get it.
But there are no gears, so you can't have a higher gearing. The fewer conversions you can do the more efficient would be my guess.

But there are no gears, so you can't have a higher gearing. The fewer conversions you can do the more efficient would be my guess.
Yeah, I don't get it. If you have the same torque at 15k rpm as at 2k, then why not use an electric overdrive? I hear those motors whining at highway speed and wonder such things.

Well the more volts you have the less current you need, which I believe keeps heat down. Less Volts, the more current you need. (more heat)
Dont understand the thought on Overdrive.
I'd imagine with EV, the more throttle the more power you use. It gauges it on your Dash. If you want to keep pretend RPMs down. You use less of your peddle.
If you had some form of Overdrive (again not understanding overdrive in a EV) I would imagine you would need two different types of Batteries in your car. One that could draw your power like normal, & one that doesnt/couldnt draw as much power. If that is correct. I dont see that being a viable thing. Considering Heat being bad. Dont see how it even would help in the long run.

Well the more volts you have the less current you need, which I believe keeps heat down. Less Volts, the more current you need. (more heat)
Dont understand the thought on Overdrive.
I'd imagine with EV, the more throttle the more power you use. It gauges it on your Dash. If you want to keep pretend RPMs down. You use less of your peddle.
If you had some form of Overdrive (again not understanding overdrive in a EV) I would imagine you would need two different types of Batteries in your car. One that could draw your power like normal, & one that doesnt/couldnt draw as much power. If that is correct. I dont see that being a viable thing. Considering Heat being bad. Dont see how it even would help in the long run.
Amps create the heat and the more amps you use the more heat you generate.

The question would be how many amps does it take to get up to speed vs. how many amps it takes to maintain that speed.

Torque is going to be the same at every rpm as you put a load on the motor, however once you get to a desired rpm to maintain a certain speed does the torque go away and the motor requires less amps.

I'm guessing once you get up to speed the heat will go down until you put a load on the motor.

Amps create the heat and the more amps you use the more heat you generate.

The question would be how many amps does it take to get up to speed vs. how many amps it takes to maintain that speed.

Torque is going to be the same at every rpm as you put a load on the motor, however once you get to a desired rpm to maintain a certain speed does the torque go away and the motor requires less amps.

I'm guessing once you get up to speed the heat will go down until you put a load on the motor.
right.
Volts to current use is how you get your wattage ratio (I am no expert so speaking in loose terms) Which is considered the "power."
More volts lessens the Amps per hour. So yes once you get to speed, you use less peddle (volts I would imagine) to maintain that speed.

If I use a battery operated tool that is gonna use a lot of power. I use a 20 volt battery it will heat up much faster than the same tool using a 60 volt battery. IF I used them exactly as hard. I use plenty of construction tools so that comparable are easier for me to use. Now in normal use excluding heating up. The 20 volt battery could be a 9 AH, while used as 60 volt only 3AH

I am no expert but I do know volts to current will heat up your battery more or less depending on the ratio. I know they are all working on making batteries more efficient in a EV Which I have no clue how that will be done, but in the moment when it comes to Lithium Batteries, Bigger is better. So again I have no idea how a overdrive would work in a EV, but I guess if I did know this I would be a multi Millionaire with all the Car Companies lining up to pay me. LOL

Ah-ha! So, Audi uses 3 gears, but they use them the opposite of what I thought. They gear it down for faster acceleration.

I was thinking more along the lines of an electric overdrive just since it seems all that torque would be wasted at highway speeds.

Reactions: Fog