WiFi mesh network routers

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 774.00
I'm looking to update my mom's house with WiFi mesh network router and trying to determine the best one to with. Though she is elderly, she's relatively tech savvy, with multiple smart TVs and Amazon devices. That said, I do want it to be easy to maintain. as I'm her tech support and calls at 10pm about router issues are something I'd like to avoid.

Her house is two stories with devices on both floors. The current router is an old Belkin and reeption in the lower level is spotty.

I'd like to have multiple bands to stream on different devices, be Alexa friendly, and possibly WiFi 6 ready, even though she doesn't have those devices yet. I don't care about parental controls. Any recommendations or routers to avoid? Some I'm looking at:

Netgear Orbi
Linksys Velop
TP-Link Deco M5

I have the google mesh system. Honestly, it's amazing. I installed it probably 2 years ago now and haven't had to reset my system since then. Great coverage with the 3 pucks in my house. Only drawback if you're not tech savvy is you need the phone app to install the system (though I suspect the other mesh systems are the same). You basically plug them in, scan their barcode, label them and you're off.

I have the google mesh system. Honestly, it's amazing. I installed it probably 2 years ago now and haven't had to reset my system since then. Great coverage with the 3 pucks in my house. Only drawback if you're not tech savvy is you need the phone app to install the system (though I suspect the other mesh systems are the same). You basically plug them in, scan their barcode, label them and you're off.
By "pucks" do you have the older system? I have the "Google Nest" wifi mesh and the "points" are BIG.

With that, we have just the router, on the first floor and one point on the second floor. The wifi gets a little "meh" in the bedroom on the third floor. Like you said though, it's a very quick and intuitive setup.

I went with the Eero. No issues. Every once in a while it will drop my VPN and reconnect which is a slight pain but when not working it hasn't been any issue at all. I went with a 3 Eero setup and found I needed a 4th to get wifi all the way out to my sprinkler and pool controller. So I bought a 4th and it connected right up. Total install time of everything is under 5 minutes.

Bonus the Eero's I have all are also access points so if you need to hardwire something in you can.

By "pucks" do you have the older system? I have the "Google Nest" wifi mesh and the "points" are BIG.

With that, we have just the router, on the first floor and one point on the second floor. The wifi gets a little "meh" in the bedroom on the third floor. Like you said though, it's a very quick and intuitive setup.
Yeah, I had it before it was rebranded to the nest system. We have the first unit on the 1st floor with the router, and then I have the two others in the upstairs on either side of the house. Meshes really well in all areas. I could see in a larger house needing more than the 3 units to cover it all. We have about 2000 sq feet. I imagine any of the name brand mesh systems are equally awesome.

As @fordman84 said, the googles units also have the hardwire points. Super helpful with my xbox being able to plug directly in away from the router.

As @fordman84 said, the googles units also have the hardwire points. Super helpful with my xbox being able to plug directly in away from the router.

This is why my router is on the first floor and not the second. Gotta have that xbox hardwired.

I went with the Orbi, mostly because I've been happy NetGear in the past and they were highly rated. Setup wasn't bad, had to play with the satellite a little but coverage is excellent. Biggest issue is that internet is provided by Xfinity 🤢