Series Thread WS: Dodgers vs Rays

Congrats Dodger fans, even if you are the lowlife scums of the Earth

For those criticizing the Rays manager, in the playoffs Snell's era after the 5th inning (3rd time through the lineup) was 14. He didn't want Snell to have to face Mookie and Seager a 3rd time. Personally, I think it's being too reliant on analytics. But that was his reasoning.

Same reason Roberts pulled Kershaw after he got 2 outs on 2 pitches in the 5th inning in game 5.

On Justin Turner's Covid test. It looks like with the first round of tests that they get before the game, his came back inconclusive. MLB decided to run a new test. Apparently it takes 2 hours for the results.

just because statistics show pitchers do worse against hitters the third time doesn't mean you have to pull them, especially when:
- they're around 70 pitches
- they've racking up K's
- they've given up two hits and 0 walks

Last edited:
just because statistics show pitchers do worse against hitters the third time doesn't mean you have to pull them, especially when said pitcher has around 70 pitches, has given up two hits and is striking almost everyone out.
the world series is all about when great players step up and have great moments....not when managers consult their laptops for decision making. people tried to tell me "yeah but that was his plan pregame" which i think makes him even more of a dumbass for not paying attention to what was actually going on in the game in front of him. anyone read any reactions/comments from snell postgame today?

the world series is all about when great players step up and have great moments....not when managers consult their laptops for decision making. people tried to tell me "yeah but that was his plan pregame" which i think makes even more of a dumbass for not paying attention to what was actually going on in the game in front of him. anyone read any reactions/comments from snell postgame today?

I don't think the data was the problem so much as that data is being misinterpreted. Yes, pitchers generally do worse against batters the 3rd/4th times facing them than they do the first two times, but not all pitchers are the same. We're talking about a guy with a career 130 ERA+ and won the Cy Young only two years ago.

Here's Snell's career splits with times facing a batter:

A .742 OPS against batters the third time is actually quite good.

I do wonder how much of that was actually Cash's decision and not upper management making him do it.

"hey shilling that bloody ankle looks bad im pulling you because my laptop says injured pitchers give up more hits" - fuck cash and definitely fuck him for bringing in anderson whose analytics in that spot in the playoffs were terrible

"hey shilling that bloody ankle looks bad im pulling you because my laptop says injured pitchers give up more hits" - fuck cash and definitely fuck him for bringing in anderson whose analytics in that spot in the playoffs were terrible
Heh

Great series. As far as Cash's managing, I would have let him face a couple more batters the way he was going but before you call him a bad manager consider this--Could any other manager in history have taken his roster and made it to the 6th game of the World Series? I doubt it. And this isn't a one year fluke either. They won 90 games in 2018 and just missed the playoffs, then in 2019 they cut the payroll from like 75 mil. to 50 mil(the price of one top starting pitcher and an infielder on most teams) and made the playoffs with 96 wins.

Great series. As far as Cash's managing, I would have let him face a couple more batters the way he was going but before you call him a bad manager consider this--Could any other manager in history have taken his roster and made it to the 6th game of the World Series? I doubt it. And this isn't a one year fluke either. They won 90 games in 2018 and just missed the playoffs, then in 2019 they cut the payroll from like 75 mil. to 50 mil(the price of one top starting pitcher and an infielder on most teams) and made the playoffs with 96 wins.

I don't think that makes him a bad manager by any means, you can't let one decision that didn't work out cloud judgment. Same goes for Showalter with the Britton blunder (though I think that one was worse). Rays will be fine.

I don't think that makes him a bad manager by any means, you can't let one decision that didn't work out cloud judgment. Same goes for Showalter with the Britton blunder (though I think that one was worse). Rays will be fine.
I didn't remember the Britton thing but I looked it up. That was interesting. The only reason I can think of for him not using Britton in that inning is that he is left handed but it seems like that's not something managers usually consider too much when using their closer