Your first memories of a Muscle Car/Fast Car

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
8 Years Old

18 year old cousin gets a brand new 1968 GTO.
Ram Air III
4 Speed.

We were sent to go pick up pizza.
That was the fastest fucking car I had ever ridden in, up to that time.

Awesome
Looked like this.

1621988528521.png

There's more
Post Pics

When I was in first grade.
A friend of mine and I got picked up from school by his older brother one time, can't remember the reason.

Had a 1955 Chevy.
Seemed really fast.
Scared the shit out of me. And I loved it.

Looked a lot like this.

1622042139533.png

1968 was my first up close and personal.

The guy across the street had a body shop in his garage. A fella had hit a deer with his right front and required fixing. The whole right quarter panel and the grill including the right side fog lamp. Obviously not this exact car, but it was exactly like this. I went there every day for progress and was there the day the guy picked it up and drove away.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcLzE5Njctc2hlbGJ5LWd0LTUwMC0xJTIwLm...jpg

1622053430766.jpeg

First memory of American muscle was a guy who had a '78 Lil Red Truck. He lived across the road from us at the bottom of a hill and he'd gear down to 2nd coming off that hill and it sounded amazing.

When I was in first grade.
A friend of mine and I got picked up from school by his older brother one time, can't remember the reason.

Had a 1955 Chevy.
Seemed really fast.
Scared the shit out of me. And I loved it.

Looked a lot like this.

View attachment 31348
Those were all some great cars. I don't know what I like best; '55, '56 or '57 but I'd probably say the two-tone dark blue '56. THAT is American car design at its pinnacle in my opinion.

Not a muscle car per se, but it was a car with a lot of muscle...and my first car build. You never forget your first...

My first car, a Pinto, was not running when I bought it for $50. I had to get it before a salvage yard was coming pick it up. The salvage yard was going to give the guy $50 for it and that set the price. LOL

I was 14 when I bought it and after working on it for 2 years it was the fastest car at my high school....

11428725_1459805854331574_8894424048637688604_n.jpg

This car was extremely scary to drive....it had stock brakes.....drums in the rear and disc up front with little tiny rotors and brake pads. I drove it for about a year after this photo was taken it threw a rod through the block...ruined. We salvaged what we could from the build and sold the car to a salvage yard.

Not a muscle car per se, but it was a car with a lot of muscle...and my first car build. You never forget your first...

My first car, a Pinto, was not running when I bought it for $50. I had to get it before a salvage yard was coming pick it up. The salvage yard was going to give the guy $50 for it and that set the price. LOL

I was 14 when I bought it and after working on it for 2 years it was the fastest car at my high school....

View attachment 31355

This car was extremely scary to drive....it had stock brakes.....drums in the rear and disc up front with little tiny rotors and brake pads. I drove it for about a year after this photo was taken it threw a rod through the block...ruined. We salvaged what we could from the build and sold the car to a salvage yard.
Overpowered and underbraked! :laugh: A lot of guys aren't around anymore because of cars like that. Hate to hear it slung a rod.

Have you guys seen any of the History channel show - Cars that built World/America. Lots of interesting things in it about how we got superchargers, radiator and the dynamics of the auto-makers maturing.

My first muscle car love was the SS Camero. After Dazed and Confused, it was the GTO. I grew up in the 80's/90's so American cars were going through a lot of their dogshit builds and the imports were the thing.

I purchased and still have my first import love in the garage - '91 300ZX. Did add brake brackets to fit bigger 350 rotors and pads. Still a fucking deathtrap.

8 Years Old

18 year old cousin gets a brand new 1968 GTO.
Ram Air III
4 Speed.

We were sent to go pick up pizza.
That was the fastest fucking car I had ever ridden in, up to that time.

Awesome
Looked like this.

View attachment 31290

There's more
Post Pics
Have you watched that documentary on John Deloreon? Pretty interesting that he was responsible for Pontiacs turn around and the GTO in particular. I was too young to know much about him, but it was pretty cool to watch.

Have you watched that documentary on John Deloreon? Pretty interesting that he was responsible for Pontiacs turn around and the GTO in particular. I was too young to know much about him, but it was pretty cool to watch.

I've seen the movies/docs on him. He's got a decent bit on him in that History show when he's at Pontiac. Basically, he had to fight the leadership at GM to get the GTO on the market. He even went to drag strips to run his prototype. The Pontiac leadership didn't want to interfere with GM and have Pontiac upstage their other brands.

Then, he went pretty insane chasing his dream.

the Nova I bought when I was 16

Have you watched that documentary on John Deloreon?

@Peter Gozintite
Yes, and know quite a bit about him.

He took the Lemans and put the 389 Tri-Power in it.
Was against the rules at GM at the time, because of the horsepower/cubic inch vs weight rule. It was way above it.

He back doored the GTO and made it an option, so it wouldn't show up on any reports.
By the time the GM President found out, there were already 5000 orders for the GTO.
I think they ended up selling 50,000 that first year.

GM wasn't going to turn that profit down.