College Football Report's Top 25 CFB Head Coaches

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 447.00
Interesting that they have Ferentz right above Heupel.

I don't see a huge problem with it.
me neither.. think wetzel and forde came out with thier own lists earlier in the year and i thought it was bad.. Sark was like 15 or some shit..

Kyle Whittingham is always underrated. He's a top 5 coach.
he is but for me.. he and Leopold and even Gundy.. It's tough to really assess how good they are since they coach at places where they are happy to just be good. There's a total different element if they went to a Nebraska or SC or LSU or FSU.. that's real pressure

he is but for me.. he and Leopold and even Gundy.. It's tough to really assess how good they are since they coach at places where they are happy to just be good. There's a total different element if they went to a Nebraska or SC or LSU or FSU.. that's real pressure
The thing Whittingham has over those guys is he took a mid-major program in Utah, had them great at the mid-major level, but made the transition into a Power 5 conference and had them routinely be one of the better teams in the Power 5 conference. That is impressive.

He also has done so without recruiting at a top level so all of his players and these really good teams were coached up and developed. I get what you are saying, neither of those guys have taken a pressure cooker job, but at the same time they've stuck it out at their schools for 15-20 years and have built consistent success and power teams. Whitt goes to USC or Tennessee and has the type of season's he has, he is likely still their coach.

The thing Whittingham has over those guys is he took a mid-major program in Utah, had them great at the mid-major level, but made the transition into a Power 5 conference and had them routinely be one of the better teams in the Power 5 conference. That is impressive.

He also has done so without recruiting at a top level so all of his players and these really good teams were coached up and developed. I get what you are saying, neither of those guys have taken a pressure cooker job, but at the same time they've stuck it out at their schools for 15-20 years and have built consistent success and power teams. Whitt goes to USC or Tennessee and has the type of season's he has, he is likely still their coach.
It's why i understand DeBoer being ranked high..he had success everywhere he went.. took Udub to a CFP final and is now at Bama. Whittingham hasn't been to a CFP yet, be interested in seeing how he does in the Big12 where they will have 2 bids

Kyle Whittingham is always underrated. He's a top 5 coach.

If I were starting a program from scratch, he'd be my first choice by a long shot.

It's why i understand DeBoer being ranked high..he had success everywhere he went.. took Udub to a CFP final and is now at Bama. Whittingham hasn't been to a CFP yet, be interested in seeing how he does in the Big12 where they will have 2 bids
FWIW, the whole auto-qualifer thing hasn't been decided on yet. Right now we are at 5-7, or 5-9. Whether they get to the 3-3-2-2-1-3 type of thing is still up in the air. If they stay with a CFP-12, I think it stays 5-7. It will only go 3-3-2-2-1-3 if they go to CFP-14.

If I were starting a program from scratch, he'd be my first choice by a long shot.
I wonder how many big time programs he has turned down over the last 10 years. I'd imagine almost every single job that opens up he is on every AD's short list.

I wonder how many big time programs he has turned down over the last 10 years. I'd imagine almost every single job that opens up he is on every AD's short list.
but he clearly doesn't want those jobs that have much more pressure.. and that's ok.. Gary Patterson, Frank Beamer are beloved for sticking with the school they had much success at

FWIW, the whole auto-qualifer thing hasn't been decided on yet. Right now we are at 5-7, or 5-9. Whether they get to the 3-3-2-2-1-3 type of thing is still up in the air. If they stay with a CFP-12, I think it stays 5-7. It will only go 3-3-2-2-1-3 if they go to CFP-14.
I would add that if they don't do a 3-3-2-2-1-3 type thing, they will totally rewrite the CFP Committee's mission to explicitly specify that SOS has to be considered and that they can't just look at the number of losses. They will be told that they have to weigh the relative strength of the conferences. I mean that is why they insist on a 3-3-2-2-1, so if they can't get that, they will ensure that losses are carefully reviewed.